Chair Lift to Beach

Razorbackfan2010

Our family will be visiting Roaton via the Carnival Magic in March. I have heard there is a chair lift over to a beach. Is this a public beach? Are there restrooms and concession stands? Chairs and some shade for us pale skinned people?? Can you go back to the boat at any time? Thanks for the info!!

You will be at disembarking at Mahagony Bay which is basically a manmade day at the beach center. The beach is about a 10 min walk from the ship. Some use the chairs ( for a cost) to avoid the walk. There is a youtube video of the ride...doesn't look like much. There is food, shopping, sun chaises etc.

yes you can go back and forth to the ship easily.

You buy a chair lift pass which gives you unlimited tripsfrom the ship to beach/beach to ship throughout the day. Purchase as an excursion, the price listed is not per person but for two people. I have read however that walking is actually faster:), so I guess it's good if you are not a walker.

We had a great time there in December. My husband doesn't like being in the sun, so we bought the 'excursion' that came with a reserved clamshell. One of the best things we could have done. We also enjoyed going on the chair lift as well. We found that we got to the beach faster than some of the people walking. Plus, it was nice to see the sights from up above.

The chair lift is really sort of fun -- lovely views with birds flying around! They give your a bracelet that allows you to use it all day as often as you wish. Lauren, you're right ... it's slow, could walk faster. :D

We'd been to Roatan a few times before but had never docked in Mahogany Bay so wanted to give the beach there a try. We had a good time ... sat in the shade at a bar and just went into the ocean when we wished.

Mahogany Bay is "Disney" clean. Nothing like the real Roatan so you'll need to get away from the ship's complex if you want to experience that.

LuLu

When looking at excursions for this port, I see where you can get various beach packages that include snorkeling, kayaking and the unlimited use of the chair lift.

But, can you just get a pass for the chair lift? It is not offered pre-cruise but wondering if this is something that can be purchased onboard or on the island once you get there.

Anyone have any information they can share on this? THANKS!!!

You can purchase the Chair Lift ONLY in advance. Also, there is a booth where you can buy tickets when you get there.

Booking in advance keeps you from having to stand in two lines and may be a dollar or so more if you waited until you're there to get the pass. No big deal either way.

Hope this helps a bit. LuLu

You can purchase the Chair Lift ONLY in advance. Also, there is a booth where you can buy tickets when you get there.

Booking in advance keeps you from having to stand in two lines and may be a dollar or so more if you waited until you're there to get the pass. No big deal either way.

Hope this helps a bit. LuLu

Thanks for answering my question. However, the chair lift only option is not showing up on my shore excursion list on the website. I wonder if it can only be bought once onboard. It's good to know you can purchase it once onshore too. If you buy tickets once onshore, is it applied to your ship board account or is it cash??

Thanks for answering my question. However, the chair lift only option is not showing up on my shore excursion list on the website. I wonder if it can only be bought once onboard. It's good to know you can purchase it once onshore too. If you buy tickets once onshore, is it applied to your ship board account or is it cash??

Gosh, we did this on a Princess cruise. No clue what is offered as far as booking in advance on Carnival. :o Sorry, not to be of more help.

Hopefully, someone who has done this on a CCL cruise can answer you better.

LuLu

When we went, we bought the excursion where you got a reserved clam shell. Admission for the chair lift was part of the excursion. I'm sure you can speak with guest services once on board about it.

• 3 weeks later...

we booked a cabana on Mahogany Beach for Jan 15th 2013..

can anyone tell me if they have experienced sand fleas on Mahogany Beach

? Last time we wer ein Roatan we went zip line and then to another private beach..it was beautiful, but when we left we were covered with welts from sand fleas!

To answer a few questions about Mahogany Bay from my own experience:

The walk to the beach is pretty short - I would say 10 minutes or less, and it was not too strenuous. I know we were walking faster than the chairlift. I don't know how much there is to see from up there besides the ship, a bit of trees area, a lagoon, and the beach, but if you don't like walking or want to experience a chairlift when there isn't snow on the ground, by all means.

We did not have any bad experience with sand fleas and we spent at least 4 hours on the beach. However, I know with other islands we have been to, the fleas are worse at different parts of the year (usually "rainy" season). We were there in January 2012 if that helps.

This is not a public beach. It is for people on Carnival owned ships. It is very clean and you can find lots of places to shop, go to the bathroom, and find food and drinks (overpriced of course). Also, I found lots of chairs in both the sun and shade. My hubby does not like the sun beating down on him for hours on end, so we found a very nice shady spot. One note, however, I did feel the chairs were pretty close together and that I was listening in on a lot of people's conversations due to this fact :)

You can go back to the boat anytime - you walk right onto the gangway, no tenders required.

Hope this was helpful. We went last New Years and will be back again this year. This was our "beach day" last time which was nice, but this year we want to see more of the island and do some snorkelling and ziplining. Whatever you choose - have a great time!

we booked a cabana on Mahogany Beach for Jan 15th 2013..

can anyone tell me if they have experienced sand fleas on Mahogany Beach

? Last time we wer ein Roatan we went zip line and then to another private beach..it was beautiful, but when we left we were covered with welts from sand fleas!

I find the sand fleas more about who they like and who they don't like. Its all about personal body chemistry. I recommend you use a bug repellent, better to be safe than sorry, much like sunscreen and sunburn. :0)

• 2 weeks later...
To answer a few questions about Mahogany Bay from my own experience:

The walk to the beach is pretty short - I would say 10 minutes or less, and it was not too strenuous. I know we were walking faster than the chairlift. I don't know how much there is to see from up there besides the ship, a bit of trees area, a lagoon, and the beach, but if you don't like walking or want to experience a chairlift when there isn't snow on the ground, by all means.

We did not have any bad experience with sand fleas and we spent at least 4 hours on the beach. However, I know with other islands we have been to, the fleas are worse at different parts of the year (usually "rainy" season). We were there in January 2012 if that helps.

This is not a public beach. It is for people on Carnival owned ships. It is very clean and you can find lots of places to shop, go to the bathroom, and find food and drinks (overpriced of course). Also, I found lots of chairs in both the sun and shade. My hubby does not like the sun beating down on him for hours on end, so we found a very nice shady spot. One note, however, I did feel the chairs were pretty close together and that I was listening in on a lot of people's conversations due to this fact :)

You can go back to the boat anytime - you walk right onto the gangway, no tenders required.

Hope this was helpful. We went last New Years and will be back again this year. This was our "beach day" last time which was nice, but this year we want to see more of the island and do some snorkelling and ziplining. Whatever you choose - have a great time!

How easy or difficult is it to get off and on the chair lift? My parents are 77 & 80 and my mom is really short about 4'10" if that. Thanks

How easy or difficult is it to get off and on the chair lift? My parents are 77 & 80 and my mom is really short about 4'10" if that. Thanks

It's a ski chair lift. She will have to hop up a bit I'm sure to get a good seating as it moves. The lift can be stopped in an emergency. Not sure they do it for older cruisers.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

To get to the 'port' area from the ship, you have to pass through a 'Dufry' shop. At the port side exit, there's a 'nature' trail that takes you to the beach.

I found this trail quite a bit easier to manage than the concrete trail that takes you up to the chair lift.

It was easier on my injured knee than the cement path and I'm a person of size, so the strain of 90% humidity wasn't as bad.

Archived