Tundra Wilderness or Kantishna Experience Tour

GrandCanyon2005

I've read many opinions about the shuttle(s), but had a question about two of the tours. The NPS states that Tundra is 6-8 hours, and Kantishna is 12 hours with a lunch at the Kantishna Road House.

1. Will we see a lot more animals if we do the Kantishna trip?

2. Additionally, are there any opinions about overnighting at the Kantishna Roadhouse as opposed to Princess Lodge?

I've read many opinions about the shuttle(s), but had a question about two of the tours. The NPS states that Tundra is 6-8 hours, and Kantishna is 12 hours with a lunch at the Kantishna Road House.

2. Additionally, are there any opinions about overnighting at the Kantishna Roadhouse as opposed to Princess Lodge?

Although I really can't answer your questions, if you haven't seen this review, it is a good read on the day trip Kantishna Experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683604

"A lot more animals" - on Kantishna Experience vs. TWT or vs. shuttle bus? I propose that you would have a greater chance to see more wildlife on the Kantishna tour or a shuttle bus to Wonder Lake or Eielson since they all go further than the TWT.

Note that from the recent review of the Kantishna Experience tour, the lunch might be a "box type lunch" and not a meal at the Roadhouse.

I still recommend the shuttle over the tours.

Hi GC2005 - I posted a reply on my thread as well. But this will bump yours to the top. Plus, just in case you didn't see my reply there.

After my experience, I would recommend going all the way to Kantishna. I think everyone who loves Denali should do that, at least once. We love national parks and didn't want to short change our experience.

I've no experience with the Kantishna Roadhouse, but if we find ourselves in a position to return to Denali, I would be interested in visiting or staying there. That kind of thing is right up our alley.

Good luck with your decision, and please post a review when you get back! :)

Oh, one more thing - you asked about Kantishna Roadhouse vs. the Denali Princess Lodge. On this trip, we stayed at the Hotel Captain Cook in Anchorage, the Mt. McKinley Princess Lodge, and the Denali Princess Lodge. The Denali Princess Lodge was my least favorite. Nothing special IMO. The best thing I could say about it is that you can walk into the park from there. It's a long walk, but looks like a pleasant one that takes you over the Nenana River. We didn't have time to try it, but saw lots of people walking that path.

I've asked this before but how much leg room was on the buses. I know they are old school buses and going on kids field trips I couldn't get my long legs in at all and had to sit sideways with my legs in the aisle. I would love to take the tour all the way to the end but I'm afraid I will be in pain. Did you see the taller people with legs in the aisle or can you put your legs under the seat in front of you? Thanks!

I've asked this before but how much leg room was on the buses. I know they are old school buses and going on kids field trips I couldn't get my long legs in at all and had to sit sideways with my legs in the aisle. I would love to take the tour all the way to the end but I'm afraid I will be in pain. Did you see the taller people with legs in the aisle or can you put your legs under the seat in front of you? Thanks!

You are right. They are school buses, but I would say I probably had the same if not more leg room on the bus than on some airplanes in coach class seating. :eek:

When I was on a European bus tour, we had nice buses with adequate legroom for the average person. The tour was set up so each day you changed seats so no one always has the best or worst seats. We had one very tall man with back problems on our tour and he asked if he could sit in the middle back seat all the time. No one had a problem with this, and that is what he did. That way he could stretch out his legs in front of him. However, I am not sure how comfortable this would be on an all day bus tour in Denali on the bumpy roads. My DH has a bad back and the Denali tour was hard on him, but he had no regrets doing it.

You are right. They are school buses, but I would say I probably had the same if not more leg room on the bus than on some airplanes in coach class seating. :eek:

My DH has a bad back and the Denali tour was hard on him, but he had no regrets doing it.

I would agree that there was more leg room on the bus than on the planes in coach. I also have a bad back, but did fine on the bus, whereas the seat on the plane was less comfortable for me. For one thing, I moved around a lot more on the bus. Do not listen to the bus driver if s/he tells you to put on the seatbelt. (Yes, our bus had seatbelts.) You will be up every time an animal is spotted. And for us, that was frequently! :D

Do not listen to the bus driver if s/he tells you to put on the seatbelt. (Yes, our bus had seatbelts.) You will be up every time an animal is spotted. And for us, that was frequently! :D

I STRONGLY disagree with this. Earlier this season there were some bumps in the road that literally had those unfastened almost fall out of their seats. After those couple of incidents you can bet that most everyone finally figured it was the wise thing to do (to buckle up).

Your is very unwise advice. Fortunately you are anonymous so no one can sue you for such incorrect advice once they are injured. :)

I STRONGLY disagree with this. Earlier this season there were some bumps in the road that literally had those unfastened almost fall out of their seats. After those couple of incidents you can bet that most everyone finally figured it was the wise thing to do (to buckle up).

Your is very unwise advice. Fortunately you are anonymous so no one can sue you for such incorrect advice once they are injured. :)

Thank you for your correction on this! Unfortunately I'm not a trained bus driver or a lawyer. Please be sure to buckle up! And then, don't forget to unbuckle your seatbelt when you try to stand up quickly when an animal is spotted. My husband kept forgetting that he was buckled in. With my bad back, I could have injured myself doing what he did. So, please take care out there! :cool:

Archived