New- Just Off Freedom (Aug 12th) Review & Thoughts

jkskrap

Great pics and review. A fun read!

Love the "Bickerson family" reference and I plan to steal it :D.

Jamaica's actually great but I understand why you just stuck by the ship.

Thanks again --

Enjoyed your review and photos of our FAVORITE ship, FREEDOM of the Seas. Now I wish we had rented the cabana! We have visited many of the same attractions you guys did and have always had a wonderful time. We enjoy the ship as much as some of the ports. Did the same with wandering around Falmouth then returning to a ship, which was VERY uncrowded! Glad you seemed to enjoy the food, the ship, the fun...oddly, the Bickersons are always on our ship too! Love it!

Enjoyed your review and photos of our FAVORITE ship, FREEDOM of the Seas. Now I wish we had rented the cabana! We have visited many of the same attractions you guys did and have always had a wonderful time. We enjoy the ship as much as some of the ports. Did the same with wandering around Falmouth then returning to a ship, which was VERY uncrowded! Glad you seemed to enjoy the food, the ship, the fun...oddly, the Bickersons are always on our ship too! Love it!

Thanks much!

We will be on the Freedom three weeks from tomorrow for this same itinerary and loved reading your review! We have been before but you know how it is in the time leading up to a cruise.....you just want to be there so anything you can read or see about the cruise makes it seem closer!!

We always rent a cabana at Labadee and seeing the pics of yours really got me excited again!

So glad to see the Freedom is still a great ship,,we will be going on her again in Jan.2014,,last year we were on the Oasis with the family...Oasis is beautiful and we enjoyed the cruise very much,,but have to say,,,mostly for young families.

I can say my grandaughter loved the kid's, zone and just wanted to be up there all the time...

Also glad to hear the park&go at PC is okay,,think we will use it this next cruise...:cool:

I just went on FOS in July 2013 and wanted to make a couple of comments. We also parked at Park N Cruise. It is $5 a day if you make a reservation online. The only problem we encountered was on the return trip. There were several groups waiting for a van and no real line. If you happened to be near the parking space where the van pulled up, you got on the van. It didn't matter that you had been waiting longer. It was very frustrating. I would recommend that once you get to the area where you wait with everyone, try to determine who was there before you. It may sound strange, but I would start a list. It really was chaotic. Finally, Park N Cruise hired a taxi van to take my family and another family who had been waiting a while.

Another comment I wanted to make is about Jamaica. That was our first time to the island and my kids had the best time of the whole cruise there. There were so many adventurous things to choose from in Jamaica. It was very different from all of the other stops. Just research on Cruise Critic what other groups have done. You will see lots of recommendations. The only problem is that most of the fun stuff is farther away. I would hire one of the many recommended private tour guides. They will make sure you are well taken care of.

Lastly, my husband and son also noticed that on the last day of the trip, we were continually clapping for the staff. First, while we were having lunch in the Windjammer, someone was on the PA system describing what the staff in the Windjammer had done for us (eg. "they have become like family to you"). It went on and on. Then, in the final show, the CD went on and on. We were clapping forever. Then, in the MDR, the same thing. We went on Disney last year and we don't remember this sort of thing. I just didn't know what to make of it. Were they wanting us to tip them more or were they worried about people reducing the automatic tips? Do that many people not leave the automatic tips?

It was a great cruise and I would recommend it to any family with teens or preteens. There is so much to enjoy. We could not fit in everything! The Western Caribbean stops were great. If you have a cruise on FOS booked, have a great time!

I just went on FOS in July 2013 and wanted to make a couple of comments. We also parked at Park N Cruise. It is $5 a day if you make a reservation online. The only problem we encountered was on the return trip. There were several groups waiting for a van and no real line. If you happened to be near the parking space where the van pulled up, you got on the van. It didn't matter that you had been waiting longer. It was very frustrating. I would recommend that once you get to the area where you wait with everyone, try to determine who was there before you. It may sound strange, but I would start a list. It really was chaotic. Finally, Park N Cruise hired a taxi van to take my family and another family who had been waiting a while.

Another comment I wanted to make is about Jamaica. That was our first time to the island and my kids had the best time of the whole cruise there. There were so many adventurous things to choose from in Jamaica. It was very different from all of the other stops. Just research on Cruise Critic what other groups have done. You will see lots of recommendations. The only problem is that most of the fun stuff is farther away. I would hire one of the many recommended private tour guides. They will make sure you are well taken care of.

Lastly, my husband and son also noticed that on the last day of the trip, we were continually clapping for the staff. First, while we were having lunch in the Windjammer, someone was on the PA system describing what the staff in the Windjammer had done for us (eg. "they have become like family to you"). It went on and on. Then, in the final show, the CD went on and on. We were clapping forever. Then, in the MDR, the same thing. We went on Disney last year and we don't remember this sort of thing. I just didn't know what to make of it. Were they wanting us to tip them more or were they worried about people reducing the automatic tips? Do that many people not leave the automatic tips?

It was a great cruise and I would recommend it to any family with teens or preteens. There is so much to enjoy. We could not fit in everything! The Western Caribbean stops were great. If you have a cruise on FOS booked, have a great time!

I am going on the freedom sept 29th. We planned to use the park and cruise. I just went on their website and it says 7.99 a day?? Are there 2 different ones or did they raise their rates?

I went on the Park N Cruise web site. It does say $7.99 per day. I know we paid $4.99 per day just last month. It was a special online rate. They must have raised the rates in the past month. There were lots of cars there, so business is good. It is still cheaper than the port parking.

Thanks for the info. I can see where the line to leave with Park n Cruise could be frustrating. We were very lucky both ways and had no issues.

Th clapping thing . . . just weird, huh? Guess it is still going on!

How was JR's boca burger?

Kathy

The boca burger is excellent at JR's on or off the ship! Get it any way you like it -- just sub the boca burger.

• 2 weeks later...
Mominva- what tour did you end up going with in Falmouth? We are going for spring break and starting to research excursions.

My husband and I along with our 3 teens hired Courtney Taylor to take us to the Blue Hole. Our kids had a blast jumping off cliffs, hiking through rocks in the water, etc. There are guides that come up to you and take you through all of the highlights. He held my hand and made sure we were secure. They stop several times during your tour to take pictures of your family. The pictures are awesome. I haven't seen any excursion on another island like this written up in the Cruise Critic. It seems to be unique. My kids said that it was the best!

Here are some pics from Nellie's Beach and Labadee.

lab9.jpg[/img]

lab10.jpg[/img]

lab8.jpg[/img]

lab7.jpg[/img]

lab6.jpg[/img]

lab2.jpg[/img]

Which Cabana Number were you in? We have booked for in October are they assigned to you when you receive your info in your rooom or a first come first serve basis? Thanks for your help.

Which Cabana Number were you in? We have booked for in October are they assigned to you when you receive your info in your rooom or a first come first serve basis? Thanks for your help.

No idea what number it was. When standing on the beach looking at the water, it was second or third down on the left.

They do not give you the number until you get on the island. I believe they are pre-assigned. They are all good, so my suggestion is "don't sweat the small stuff" and just take it and have a great time!

No idea what number it was. When standing on the beach looking at the water, it was second or third down on the left.

They do not give you the number until you get on the island. I believe they are pre-assigned. They are all good, so my suggestion is "don't sweat the small stuff" and just take it and have a great time!

Thank you for your great review. Counting the days until we go. I thought some were easier to get to the water than others.

My husband and I along with our 3 teens hired Courtney Taylor to take us to the Blue Hole. Our kids had a blast jumping off cliffs, hiking through rocks in the water, etc. There are guides that come up to you and take you through all of the highlights. He held my hand and made sure we were secure. They stop several times during your tour to take pictures of your family. The pictures are awesome. I haven't seen any excursion on another island like this written up in the Cruise Critic. It seems to be unique. My kids said that it was the best!

Thanks for the info. My son would be all over that excursion, but my daughter maybe not so much. I'll keep researching!

• 4 weeks later...
Labadee

We rented a Nellie’s Beach Cabana ($200 – over the water) at Labadee. Money well spent if you just want a “beach day.” You walk down the pier past the excursion center to the Information Center. Show them your ticket and they get a golf cart right over to take you to your cabana. I tipped Mickey, our driver, $5 and he was at our service all day if needed. Nice guy. We also had a cabana attendant (Freetz) that was very attentive. But – his English wasn’t the best.

Me: Please bring us 2 labadoozies and 2 virgin strawberry daiquiris.

Freetz: 2 labadoozies with alcohol. 2 labadoozies none alcohol.

Me: No, 2 labadoozies with alcohol, 2 strawberry daiquiris – no alcohol.

Freetz, as he is turning away: OK. 4 labadoozies all alcohol.

Me: Uh, no . . .

Repeat.

We got 4 labadoozies – 2 with alcohol, 2 without.

His heart was in it! His English is a helluva lot better than my Creole/French! A very nice young man. I tipped him $20 at the end of the day and he seemed very happy.

I would get to your cabana as early as possible. The day goes very fast. You can always nap in the morning when you get there. It is very comfortable for four people. There were steps right by the cabana that led to the water. They will bring you as many floaties as you want (we had 4). The beach is sandy, so no water shoes were necessary. When you want to leave or explore, just tell the cabana attendant to call your driver.

Lunch was a short walk over to Barefoot Beach and with the Suite guests. The food was very good. No – really!! Steaks, shrimp kabobs, chicken, etc. We all found something we liked (did I mention my youngest is a pescetarian - eats seafood but no meat - and I do not eat beef or pork?) We went early and the line moved quickly and everything was fresh. There are a limited number of tables so you may have to move some chairs around. We found many, many of the Bickersons over there living the Suite life and were glad to make it out of the gated area and back to our we-be-junior-suite-and-inside-cabin-folks cabana.

Pics of Labadee will come tomorrow. Got to go sit on the couch!

More to come tomorrow . . .

Probably a silly question but how many Cabanas Over the Water are there? From photos I've seen it looks to be only 10 over the water and others on the beach and "hillside" but I'm wondering about Nelly's Beach Over the Water. I know you can book these ahead prior to the boarding day.

I don't know for sure, but 10 seems about right. You need to reserve them well in advance. They go quickly. As soon as excursions are available for your sailing, grab one. They are now $250. Remember, this thread was from my August 2012 cruise.

Also check out the port section of CC. Good info under "private Islands."

Thanks for bringing this thread back from the grave! We had a great time on Freedom and love to relive it.

• 1 month later...

Really enjoyed reading this review of your cruise.

Clicked on because we are planning on seeing tulum when in cozumel. We are sailing in on the carnival legend in december.

We were in labadee afew years ago, and i dont think they had those cabanas then.

The beach was a familiar sight, beautiful.

Rcl mariner was a fun cruise, and this thread sure brought back some wonderful memories, thanks so much.

Happy cruising :)

Really enjoyed reading this review of your cruise.

Clicked on because we are planning on seeing tulum when in cozumel. We are sailing in on the carnival legend in december.

We were in labadee afew years ago, and i dont think they had those cabanas then.

The beach was a familiar sight, beautiful.

Rcl mariner was a fun cruise, and this thread sure brought back some wonderful memories, thanks so much.

Happy cruising :)

Hey, thanks.

It was a wonderful cruise . . . now my oldest is in grad school and our youngest has a new baby (first grandchild!), so it will probably be the last big family trip we had with just the four of us. That makes it even more special.