New- Just Off Freedom (Aug 12th) Review & Thoughts

jkskrap

That must be new. The only time I have ever bought minutes, I think I was still gold. It was on Majesty and I couldn't find my notes with my flight time back home so I used my coupon for $5 credit and logged into orbitz and got my time, printed out and had $2 to spare. I thought I remember the wording being $5 credit or towards a package. Of course that was 2010.

It must have changed, because I could have sworn that I read on CC that people were using the coupons for credit without purchasing a package. We had 4 so I was hoping for a $20 credit. When we went to guest relations though, the crew member pointed out that the coupon says something like... $5.00 credit towards or 10% off any internet package. My oldest daughter asked, "Didn't you read it, Dad? That's what it says." Uh, actually, no - I didn't read it. :o

As an FYI, if you are going to check emails at the computer station (aft, deck 8, between the elevators), it will cost you between $8 - $10. That's just a quick check and maybe sending one back. The system is a bit slow. Use this as a guideline for buying a package.

CONCLUSION/OPINION

It is hard to believe just one week ago today I was feeding the Ritz crackers to the skinny doggies. Writing the review has helped keep it all “alive” for me.

We had a great vacation. Now that we know Freedom, it is going to be very tempting to take her again. Although Oasis or Allure might be our next adventure. Now that we live in Florida we can take advantage of some last minute deals. Our next cruise will be without the kids, so that changes things a bit. I think we are becoming less interested in the ports and more interested in relaxing on the ship.

The experience at Labadee was wonderful. This was the first time we have been to a cruise line-owned property. Honestly, I thought it was a pretty goofy idea when I first read about such things years ago. But now that we have cruised again it makes sense. Nice facilities, no one hounding you to buy trinkets and making you feel guilty when you don’t, clean, easy in-and out, etc. As ports become busier and possibly a bit more “sketchy,” this makes some sense to me.

We had an incident on our cruise in Cozumel you may have read about. A 19 or 20 year old was allegedly raped at Senor Frogs right by the cruise port. There are thousands and thousands of tourists visiting this port every month, so I don’t want to overreact, but it is scary. We all just need to be aware of where we are and what we are doing. You can drink legally at 18 in Mexico but that doesn’t mean you should drink until you pass out. Or if you do, make sure you have sober friends and family with you. I guess my point to all future cruise folks reading this is BE SMART. I mean, would you want your 21 year old daughters to walk around downtown St. Louis and get drunk at the bars and find their way home? (Sorry, STL, I love ya – Go Cards! – just making a point) Now off soapbox.

The crew on Freedom was excellent. Of course there were a couple of crabs, but a couple out of 1300 is pretty darn good. The guest relations people have to have thick skin. For fun, camp out within ear shot on day 3 and listen to what the Bickerson’s are complaining about to these folks. It’s amazing! I want to put one of those slime machines (like you see on Nick) overhead and any time someone makes a ridiculous complaint I hit the button and SPLASH!

Bottom line . . .

If you are on an 800 million dollar floating city with great food, entertainment, a crew that waits on you hand and foot, the beautiful Caribbean outside your door, HOW can you NOT have a great vacation? Relax, don’t sweat the small stuff and you are going to be just fine!

I will be happy to answer any other questions that I can about our experience. Thanks again for reading and take care.

Thanks for the great review and conckusion.

A couple of questions please:

1. Are drinks and/or beers the same price irrespective of whereever you guy them on the ship? Any bar/are cheaper than others?

2. Are drinks and alcohol bottles cheaper on any of the ports rather than the ship?

3. Where is it easier to smuggle alcohol onboard, in Port Canaveral or at one of the ports?

Thanks for the great review and conckusion.

A couple of questions please:

1. Are drinks and/or beers the same price irrespective of whereever you guy them on the ship? Any bar/are cheaper than others?

2. Are drinks and alcohol bottles cheaper on any of the ports rather than the ship?

3. Where is it easier to smuggle alcohol onboard, in Port Canaveral or at one of the ports?

Hah! There seems to be a theme here!?!

I believe drinks are the same price no matter what bar in most cases. There are 2 for 1 margaritas every day in only one bar -- The On Air Club, deck 3 by the ice skating rink. Basic margaritas (no flavors, not frozen), but pretty darn good. I think it was from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm or something like that.

You can get drinks cheaper in some bars in town no doubt, but ? The bottles are a little cheaper in the port than on the ship, but it is very convenient buying on the ship. Another person posted on this thread that the ship will match prices if you take a picture of the price in port.

At Canaveral the carry on bags are screened by port authorities, not the ship's crew. Plastics, young man. Plastics.

I do have some questions, it is funny that you should mention Autism on the Seas, I will be traveling with them on the Feb 3 cruise. How often did you see the group? Did they seem like they were having a good time? Were the "counselors" good with the kids? Did you notice anything that would make you say "don't travel with them". It is nice to have a completely outside opinion on it.

Did you buy a soda card? Just wondering if it is worth it.

Thank you for such a great and informative review.

Perfect timing - I just logged on to see what was up.

It seemed to us that Autism of the Seas groups were everywhere! Totally from the outside looking in, but the kids (of all ages) were smiling, the crew was smiling, we were smiling! It looked fantastic. My DW made the comment early on to watch some of the crew with the group. She noticed how energetic they were and how they were always "up." They have bright T-shirts on and you can't miss them. It really seemed like a wonderful program.

Hope it is as good as it looks!

We did buy the soda package for my DW. I would say we at best broke even. If you are going to hang out at the pool and will take advantage of the self-serve soda fountain, I would say buy it for sure. Many times she would order a soda and they never even looked at her card. Especially in the MDR.

Edited by jkskrap

Great review thanks you!.

We sailed on the FOS sept last year and loved it that much we tried to stay on for another week, but unfortuantly because we were a family of five there wasnt any room. as soon as we got back to Australia we booked our back to back for this year. the experince we had last year has made us love cruising alot :D

Perfect timing - I just logged on to see what was up.

It seemed to us that Autism of the Seas groups were everywhere! Totally from the outside looking in, but the kids (of all ages) were smiling, the crew was smiling, we were smiling! It looked fantastic. My DW made the comment early on to watch some of the crew with the group. She noticed how energetic they were and how they were always "up." They have bright T-shirts on and you can't miss them. It really seemed like a wonderful program.

Hope it is as good as it looks!

We did buy the soda package for my DW. I would say we at best broke even. If you are going to hang out at the pool and will take advantage of the self-serve soda fountain, I would say buy it for sure. Many times she would order a soda and they never even looked at her card. Especially in the MDR.

Thank you so much. It is so great to have an outsiders point of view on how they are treating the children and families. I have heard wonderful things about them and can't wait to cruise on FOS with them.

jkskrap, thanks for sharing your vacation with us. It sounds like y'all had a great time, and you did a fabulous job reviewing Freedom and the ports. Well done!

Thanks, Artemis. Your review helped me a bunch before the cruise. For others, here is that link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1667064

I do have some questions, it is funny that you should mention Autism on the Seas, I will be traveling with them on the Feb 3 cruise. How often did you see the group? Did they seem like they were having a good time? Were the "counselors" good with the kids? Did you notice anything that would make you say "don't travel with them". It is nice to have a completely outside opinion on it.

Did you buy a soda card? Just wondering if it is worth it.

Thank you for such a great and informative review.

From what we saw"Autism on the seas" looked fantastic. My teenage daughter made friends with the sister of an ASD child and commented how good and how supportive they were of the whole family. I saw nothing to suggest they weren't anything but wonderful.

One of my holiday highlights was watching my son in his flow rider lesson with a non verbal ASD boy and his brother. The flow rider staff were incredible and the expression of sheer joy on this boys face brought a tear to my eye.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

Hah! There seems to be a theme here!?!

I believe drinks are the same price no matter what bar in most cases. There are 2 for 1 margaritas every day in only one bar -- The On Air Club, deck 3 by the ice skating rink. Basic margaritas (no flavors, not frozen), but pretty darn good. I think it was from 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm or something like that.

You can get drinks cheaper in some bars in town no doubt, but ? The bottles are a little cheaper in the port than on the ship, but it is very convenient buying on the ship. Another person posted on this thread that the ship will match prices if you take a picture of the price in port.

At Canaveral the carry on bags are screened by port authorities, not the ship's crew. Plastics, young man. Plastics.

If port authorities screen the carry on baggage why would they care if there is alcohol in it or not? Also whether they are in plastic or metal? Never sailed from Canveral before, so sorry for all these questions.

If port authorities screen the carry on baggage why would they care if there is alcohol in it or not? Also whether they are in plastic or metal? Never sailed from Canveral before, so sorry for all these questions.

Trying to avoid the alcohol debate here, but that was my point. Port authorities don't care about alcohol, but do care about things that may be a weapon (like metal).

Cheers.

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you. Just one word.

Benjamin: Yes, sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Benjamin: Yes, I am.

Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Benjamin: Exactly how do you mean?

Love that :D

Me-thinks the brain cells may be a bit on the shy side :D Better switch brands.

Just to clarify: The people that screen boarders and their carry ons at Port Canaveral work for a security company that is a direct contractor for RCL - NOT the Port Authority. I'm sure their screening includes all items of concern relative to passenger safety; and, whether someone is concealing prohibited items (irons and booze for example). This company interfaces with the on board security manager and his/her uniformed and plain clothes security personnel as needed.

Just to clarify: The people that screen boarders and their carry ons at Port Canaveral work for a security company that is a direct contractor for RCL - NOT the Port Authority. I'm sure their screening includes all items of concern relative to passenger safety; and, whether someone is concealing prohibited items (irons and booze for example). This company interfaces with the on board security manager and his/her uniformed and plain clothes security personnel as needed.

Good points.

Great review. Thanks for the pictures of the JS balcony. We are treating ourselves to a JS on the Liberty for New Year's Eve this year (mostly because the triple points we earn will kick us up to D+). I see that there is one chair with a foot rest & 1 regular chair but can't tell if the 3rd chair has a foot rest or not - does it?

I, too, visited Tulum when it was not so developed - 1986. I know it is for the best, but am a little sad to see the roped off walkways. We were able to climb the stairs of the big temple (?) overlooking the water which was a beautiful sight.

Thanks again for the review.

Great review. Thanks for the pictures of the JS balcony. We are treating ourselves to a JS on the Liberty for New Year's Eve this year (mostly because the triple points we earn will kick us up to D+). I see that there is one chair with a foot rest & 1 regular chair but can't tell if the 3rd chair has a foot rest or not - does it?

I, too, visited Tulum when it was not so developed - 1986. I know it is for the best, but am a little sad to see the roped off walkways. We were able to climb the stairs of the big temple (?) overlooking the water which was a beautiful sight.

Thanks again for the review.

2 regular chairs and one lounger-type (more tilted back with the foot rest). Wish it had a slightly larger, higher table to make dining out there easier. I believe Oasis has the higher tables.

Yeah, Tulum was a kick back then. We climbed to the top and ate a big bag of cinnamon rolls and drank cokes. We had stopped at a little store on the way and bought all kinds of junk and it was under $2.00 US! Those were the days!

2 regular chairs and one lounger-type (more tilted back with the foot rest). Wish it had a slightly larger, higher table to make dining out there easier. I believe Oasis has the higher tables.

Yeah, Tulum was a kick back then. We climbed to the top and ate a big bag of cinnamon rolls and drank cokes. We had stopped at a little store on the way and bought all kinds of junk and it was under $2.00 US! Those were the days!

Yes, Oasis has the higher tables. Was the chair with the foot rest comfortable? I don't remember having one of those.