New- Just Off Freedom (Aug 12th) Review & Thoughts

jkskrap

Yes, Oasis has the higher tables. Was the chair with the foot rest comfortable? I don't remember having one of those.

It was very comfortable and good for a nap. Only problem is at my height (6 foot and shrinking daily), the rail was directly in my line of sight. Not great for seeing the sights.

How do you go about reserving a cabana before arriving in Labadee. Can you do it ahead of time before you sail? Or do you have to do it while onboard at guest services?:confused:

You reserve them on the excursion page of the pre-cruise planner. They sometimes go quickly, so do it as early as you can. You only reserve it under one name, and then can take a group up to six. There is a lot of info, including my review, on the ports page:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=406

Thanks for taking to time for the review. I was specifically interested in the ruins.

Thanks. I might elaborate and do a review of the ruins on the port page. If I have time. :)

Grand Cayman

We had a great time in Grand Cayman. Haiti and Jamaica look beautiful from the ship as you are pulling in. Grand Cayman is flat without the “curb appeal” but nonetheless beautiful.

We booked the 4 hour “Stingray and Island” excursion with Native Way Watersports for $60 each. I had great email communication with Sharon when we booked and when I followed up right before the cruise. This was my daughters’ favorite day of the cruise. Wear your bathing suits because you are going to get wet!

We caught a Tender from the ship at about 9:00 am. There was a line but it moved quickly and we were ashore within 15 minutes of leaving our cabin. We were early (meeting time was 9:45 am), so we walked to a coffee shop in town and messed. We met up with the Native Way folks back at the pier and waited for another family that never showed up. It turned out to be just us and one other family – 9 total. We walked over to our little bus and were on our way! Our bus driver was Eldon, Sharon’s husband, and Sharon was narrating as he drove. Eldon is a native of the island and Sharon is a New York transplant and has lived there for 10 years. I can’t say enough about how friendly these two were. It just couldn’t have been any better.

We drove by a few sites for some pictures and got out by the 7 mile beach. Such beautiful water. Pictures don’t do it justice. We live right by a beautiful beach (Boca Grande, FL) but this water was gorgeous.

We then stopped by the Tortuga Rum Cake factory. Basically a gift shop, but you can see them bagging and boxing the Rum Cakes in the back. Prices for the cakes were no cheaper than the cruise ship, but the variety was huge. I sampled lots of rum: gold, coffee, pineapple, vanilla . . . good stuff! I purchased a couple of bottles that they sent to the ship. They were delivered Saturday afternoon to our cabin (with our onboard liquor purchases). They also have a snack bar that serves what look like hot pockets. We weren’t smart enough (like another cc member who was on the tour with us) to buy a couple to eat later, but I would do so if given the chance again! No lunch is included on the tour, and when they pulled out their hot pockets on the boat ride back I thought, “Man, what a smart idea!”

Next we went to Hell. It is the name of a rock formation that looks like . . . hell. I guess. Very cool. Eldon showed us around and told us stories. He also talked about some of the plant life. Then it was off to the oh-so-pleasantly-tacky gift shop. A cute old timer looked at me and said, “Welcome to Hell” with a devilish grin. Loved it. Tacky - yes. Loved it. Bought a hat from Hell.

Next it was a drive to the Turtle Farm. Very, very cool. Eldon gave us the tour here. It was great to have a guy who knew what he was talking about. He knew the history; he had caught and ate the turtles when he was younger. We were petting and holding turtles of all ages. It was great!

We then drove to board our boat for the ride to Stingray City. There were 2 crew members and our group. Sharon and Eldon were not with us, but would be there when we got back. It is a quick 10-15 minute ride to the middle of the bay to the sandbar where the rays hang out. Pretty amazing place.

When we first arrived, there were several large boats and probably 100 people in the water. Our guys (Thomas and JC) found us a spot on the end of the sand bar and put down the anchor (actually JC hopped in the water and placed the anchor). Within a few minutes most of the other people had packed up and left. Thomas and JC will dive down a grab a ray for you to pet, hold and kiss (yuck – but I did it after my kids forced me). There are rays swimming all around your feet. Some huge, some small. All completely wild. It was awesome! Never have we experienced something like this.

Some people might freak out a bit when a stingray knocks into them (my DW did), but you don’t have to jump in the water if you don’t want to. We stayed about 30 minutes or so. It was fantastic.

JC took pictures of us and then showed them to us on our ride back. I bought all of them on a CD for $50. Pretty ingenious way to make an extra buck! The pics are really good. We had bought a cheap disposable underwater camera for $12 at one of the gift shops (35 mm). We were surprised how good the pictures turned out when we had them developed!

A quick ride back to the bus on the boat (with a slight detour to show us homes in a canal and some of the iguanas sunning themselves). That’s something a big tour could never do for you.

We were dropped off back at the pier at about 2:30 or so. Said our goodbyes to Sharon and Eldon, and headed towards our Tender. There was no line – which I thought was amazing – and as we walked through the gate a guy started yelling at us. Turns out we were heading to the Carnival Tender! He pointed us in the right direction and that’s when we saw it . . . the line . . . the line of all lines . . . the twisting, turning, where-the-hell-is-the-end . . . line. Must have been 500 or more people in this line. We finally found the end and my daughter noticed a lemonade stand that also sold the hot pocket things. They stayed in line and I went to the lemonade line. By the time I got 2 lemonades and a couple of the sandwiches, they were almost through the gate! A quick moving line! We downed the drinks, ate the last bites as we scanned our seapass cards and were back on the ship in no time.

It was a wonderful day! Thank you so much Sharon and Eldon! You guys are the best!

Pics will follow . . .

My family of 5 was on the tour and loved it as well. The "hot pockets" we bought for lunch were excellent and just enough to hold us over until we got back to the ship.

My family of 5 was on the tour and loved it as well. The "hot pockets" we bought for lunch were excellent and just enough to hold us over until we got back to the ship.

Glad you made it home safely!

I will try to put some info out there. Hopefully if they search it will come up also.

The dogs were VERY happy!

If you go to Ports of Call under Caribbean, there is an areas for this port and people are always looking for information on excursions. You could post there as your information is so helpful. I have often thought of doing this excursion, but will hold for now.

Your pictures of the ruins are spectacular.

Hi,

I am currently researching a trip and was wondering if you really needed to rent a cabana in Labadee? Can we just walk to the beach and rent chairs $ buy lunch? It is just going to be me and my sister, so $100 per person is a bit expensive when we intend to do excursions in others ports.

Thank you!!

C-

Labadee

We rented a Nellie’s Beach Cabana ($200 – over the water) at Labadee. Money well spent if you just want a “beach day.” You walk down the pier past the excursion center to the Information Center. Show them your ticket and they get a golf cart right over to take you to your cabana. I tipped Mickey, our driver, $5 and he was at our service all day if needed. Nice guy. We also had a cabana attendant (Freetz) that was very attentive. But – his English wasn’t the best.

Me: Please bring us 2 labadoozies and 2 virgin strawberry daiquiris.

Freetz: 2 labadoozies with alcohol. 2 labadoozies none alcohol.

Me: No, 2 labadoozies with alcohol, 2 strawberry daiquiris – no alcohol.

Freetz, as he is turning away: OK. 4 labadoozies all alcohol.

Me: Uh, no . . .

Repeat.

We got 4 labadoozies – 2 with alcohol, 2 without.

His heart was in it! His English is a helluva lot better than my Creole/French! A very nice young man. I tipped him $20 at the end of the day and he seemed very happy.

I would get to your cabana as early as possible. The day goes very fast. You can always nap in the morning when you get there. It is very comfortable for four people. There were steps right by the cabana that led to the water. They will bring you as many floaties as you want (we had 4). The beach is sandy, so no water shoes were necessary. When you want to leave or explore, just tell the cabana attendant to call your driver.

More to come tomorrow . . .

If you go to Ports of Call under Caribbean, there is an areas for this port and people are always looking for information on excursions. You could post there as your information is so helpful. I have often thought of doing this excursion, but will hold for now.

Your pictures of the ruins are spectacular.

Thanks! Yeah, haven't done that review yet.

Hi,

I am currently researching a trip and was wondering if you really needed to rent a cabana in Labadee? Can we just walk to the beach and rent chairs $ buy lunch? It is just going to be me and my sister, so $100 per person is a bit expensive when we intend to do excursions in others ports.

Thank you!!

C-

No, you do not need to rent the cabanas. Nellie's Beach is a free beach and about a 15 minute walk from the ship. No extra charge for lounge chairs (just grab one) or for the regular lunch! When we were there it wasn't very crowded. Just do a "beach day" and save the $$! Here is a pic of the beach.

labJ.jpg

I've gotten two different answers from several people so since you're just off, please answer definitively for me...is there or is there not Giovanni's on Freedom yet? Some tell me it was put on this spring, other's say not...do you know for sure:confused::rolleyes:

At this time, it is not offered for prebooking nor do the reps know if it has been incorporated.

I've gotten two different answers from several people so since you're just off, please answer definitively for me...is there or is there not Giovanni's on Freedom yet? Some tell me it was put on this spring, other's say not...do you know for sure:confused::rolleyes:

At this time, it is not offered for prebooking nor do the reps know if it has been incorporated.

Nope. No Giovanni's on Freedom. Chops, Portofino & Johnny Rockets are your pay-to-dine options.

Did you notice if the room service menu changed or is it the same stuff? Thx

It had been a few years since we sailed . . . . but, based on what I have read, the room service menu has not changed.

Great review!! Loved it...and all the pictures...we will be on FOS for the first time next February...for the Valentines Day cruise...going the Eastern route...but that's ok...loved reading about all of the ports you visited. Went to Tulum AND Chichen Itza "back in the day"....when you could climb both...even went INSIDE Chichen Itza...up a narrow "hidden" staircase to see a red jaguar with real emerald eyes....so awesome....those days are gone....probably because of people like the Bickersons!! Hahahahaha...thanks for the fab review!:p

Great review!! Loved it...and all the pictures...we will be on FOS for the first time next February...for the Valentines Day cruise...going the Eastern route...but that's ok...loved reading about all of the ports you visited. Went to Tulum AND Chichen Itza "back in the day"....when you could climb both...even went INSIDE Chichen Itza...up a narrow "hidden" staircase to see a red jaguar with real emerald eyes....so awesome....those days are gone....probably because of people like the Bickersons!! Hahahahaha...thanks for the fab review!:p

Thanks for the kind words! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Keeping this thread alive :D

I was thrilled to find your review, excellent job! We have booked that very same Jr.Suite for April this year, so it was cool to see your pictures. Although a little bummed out that the sofa doesn't convert to a bed. I'll be sharing this room with my mother, so it might have been nice to have that as an option.

Since there are just 2 of us the cabana seemed a bit much (more economical per person with 4 or more). So I was happy to hear we could just go grab a chair for free and have access to some lunch (even if it is just the 'commoners' version).;)

My husband and I were on our honeymoon on this sailing, reading this thread brought back memories. We had a blast! We participated in pretty much everything on board from the sexiest man competition, to balloon tosses, scavenger hunts and I got to participate in a flash mob! Good times.... I am so thankful to cruise critic and its members, I felt very prepared for that cruise because of the forums.

Edited by iiramos

"Star," your statement "Although a little bummed out that the sofa doesn't convert to a bed," leads me to wonder if you know the bed in your JS can be separated into two twin beds...

If you already knew this, forgive my post. But your post made me wonder why you'd want a third bed, when you'd have two twins...:confused:

"Star," your statement "Although a little bummed out that the sofa doesn't convert to a bed," leads me to wonder if you know the bed in your JS can be separated into two twin beds...

If you already knew this, forgive my post. But your post made me wonder why you'd want a third bed, when you'd have two twins...:confused:

Sorry, yes, I knew about the twin beds. I am concerned that a twin might be too small/narrow to be comfortable, especially since I am used to a queen. So I figured Mom could have have the Queen bed and I'd take the sofa, which I'm guessing is closer to Full, then we could both have a bit more room. Hope we don't roll off the beds! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...