Dress Code

clvali

Suggestions are a nice way of saying this is the dress code. In the daily, it states required for evening activities except in the causal dining boulevard. All I can say is that sometimes they enforce the dress code - other times they do not. So if you choose not follow, you do run the possibility of being denied entrance to the dining room or show.

Thanks everyone for your input. It was very helpful. We will pack the sport jacket along with the suit. Less than a week to go. Clothes are all laid out (including the jacket and another tie). I am ready to GO.....

clvali

never been on a cruise so initially it was not obvious. Fortunately for me i have spent a fair bit of time reading these boards so i know what to expect. I just feel sorry for other first time cruisers who may not know about cruise critic, and may not be well informed as to the dress code policys. I think people should maybe take this into consideration before they thumb there noses at others. You were all first time cruisers at one point and some of you probably did not know what to expect. Should we judge a person by what he or she is wearing. You may miss out on an oppurtunity to get to know an amazing person.

never been on a cruise so initially it was not obvious. Fortunately for me i have spent a fair bit of time reading these boards so i know what to expect. I just feel sorry for other first time cruisers who may not know about cruise critic, and may not be well informed as to the dress code policys. I think people should maybe take this into consideration before they thumb there noses at others. You were all first time cruisers at one point and some of you probably did not know what to expect. Should we judge a person by what he or she is wearing. You may miss out on an oppurtunity to get to know an amazing person.

I don't think that anyone who supports the dress code on these boards would ever thumb his nose at someone who was not dressed according to the code. That's not the point. When someone asks and knows what to expect it is appreciated when they try to dress appropriately. There will always be some who don't know any better or have other problems.

I've met lots of wonderful people on cruises who haven't exactly been following the dress code. There are those, however, who are purposely trying to "thumb their noses" at the dress code . I thinks that's what causes all the strong defense of this issue.

I'm glad I've read this as well because we've been on 3 cruises but are new to Celebrity. I would have only thought of a jacket on formal nights and would never pack a jacket for informal night - it would be too late if we read the suggested dress code on the ship and didnt' have the appropriate clothes - so we'll be prepared for our 11 day cruise - also the thread on teenagers is helpful too as I wouldn't have thought of a jacket for my 13 year old - just a shirt and tie. He will probably choose to just order room service that night anyway!

I myself will be respecting the dress code and have no intentions of thumbing my nose at it. I just got the impression that some people really don't care of the reasons why someone may not be dressed appropriately. I initially assumed that a shirt and tie would be considered informal and a jacket would not be required. I can understand how somebody new could make this mistake. I think it would be sad if somebody was signaled out and treated disrespectfully because of an honest mistake. Just my thoughts and opions. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm sure glad i learned about CC before i left for Alaska. This is our honeymoon so i want everything to be perfect!

My husband packed a sport coat for the informal nights because I told him he could be denied for entry into the dining room.

On our first informal night, we watched at least 10+ gentlemen walked by us and right in front of the staff lining up the entry way, all in casual shortsleeves - as if it were a casual night. No staff said a word or even batted an eyelash.

Matter of fact, 2 tables around us, the gentlemen NEVER wore any coat on any informal nights (we had 4 informal nights as this is a 14-night Panama crossing sailing). Note : informal nights mean Jacket and shirt and NO mentioning of tie - You probably would be more approately dressed with a sport coat and a shirt, than a shirt with a tie. Though so many people just simply dressed in short sleeves shirts that dont tucked in - like how you usually wear a Hawaii shirt.

During our sailing, ladies usually dressed very nicely and went above and beyond the dress codes. Gentlemen dressed much more "relaxedly". Only may be 1/3 of the gentlemen in Tux on formal night (2nd seatting), and 1/2 or less of the gentlemen in sport coat on informal night.

I say just go as you pleased, as long as you are not wearing jeans or shorts, you would be fine in dining room and no one would say a word to you. The message boards make the dress code issue far too serious. In reality, hardly anyone cares how you dress when you go to dinner.

I am taking my two grandsons on their first cruise. I spent last weekend buying clothes. Suits, ties, dress shirts, shoes, dockers and nice casual (Hawaiian type ) shirts. They usually hang out in shorts or jeans. My budget is broke-between this shopping trip and the price of the Voyager cruise. I want them to be nicely dressed so I guess I better go to the second hand shop and try to get a blazer for informal night.

My husband packed a sport coat for the informal nights because I told him he could be denied for entry into the dining room.

On our first informal night, we watched at least 10+ gentlemen walked by us and right in front of the staff lining up the entry way, all in casual shortsleeves - as if it were a casual night. No staff said a word or even batted an eyelash.

Matter of fact, 2 tables around us, the gentlemen NEVER wore any coat on any informal nights (we had 4 informal nights as this is a 14-night Panama crossing sailing). Note : informal nights mean Jacket and shirt and NO mentioning of tie - You probably would be more approately dressed with a sport coat and a shirt, than a shirt with a tie. Though so many people just simply dressed in short sleeves shirts that dont tucked in - like how you usually wear a Hawaii shirt.

During our sailing, ladies usually dressed very nicely and went above and beyond the dress codes. Gentlemen dressed much more "relaxedly". Only may be 1/3 of the gentlemen in Tux on formal night (2nd seatting), and 1/2 or less of the gentlemen in sport coat on informal night.

I say just go as you pleased, as long as you are not wearing jeans or shorts, you would be fine in dining room and no one would say a word to you. The message boards make the dress code issue far too serious. In reality, hardly anyone cares how you dress when you go to dinner.

nho-

Those of us who have mentioned the enforcement of the dress code have stated that it is sporadic and varies from ship to ship, sailing to sailing. If you do not follow it, you are taking a chance that you will be denied entrance to the dining room and shows.

If you like to gamble, go ahead and dress as you please. But if you happen to be on a sailing where they do enforce it, you have nobody to blame but yourself if you are denied entrance.

Archived