Dress Code

clvali

Traveling on Galexy next week. My question is: how formal is informal night?

Can my husband wear a nice long sleved shirt with a sweater?

Or do all the men wear sport coats and ties.

Many nights it will be a race to dinner from all day ports. We have early seating.

Need some input on this. One week to go....

Thanks,

clvali

Informal nights, on the two Celebrity cruises I have been on, are jacket and tie. But it's like business casual, so it's on the relaxed side of things.

He can get by without the ties but I would take a sports coat along and maybe a nice silk Liz Claiborne type shirt. Informal is really not that formal but I always wear as a minimum a sports coat.

I agree with Leela~the Tommy Bahama shirt will look fine for casual night.

Eric, I was thinking the same thing as soon as I saw the title. Maybe everyone can keep it even tempered.

There have been reports of people being denied entrance to the restaurant when not following the dress code on some Celebrity ships. I personally have seen people denied entrance to the theater for not following the dress code on one cruise - on others there is no check. So you (men) take a chance by not wearing a jacket on informal night.

Even though tie is listed on Celebrity's website as part of informal dress for men, the dailies only state shirt and jacket for informal night and many men wear a sports coat, slacks, and a plain polo shirt.

My hubby wears a tux for formal, a suit and tie for informal, and a sports jacket, poloshirt, and slacks or dockers for casual nights.

Is this the Med we are talking about. Whats a Tommy Bahama shirt?. Never heard of it in the UK.

Tommy Bahama is a line of resort casual wear, featuring things like lovely tropical-print shirts made of silk or other nice fabics like linen or fine cotton.

It's upscale casual -- upscale in that the clothes use really nice fabrics, good design, and are becoming a well-known brand name. But it's still casual.

Here's a snippet of a posting from a recent "Galaxy review" thread:

Dinner attire-there is so much confusion about dinner attire that I have to clear it up. Somebody on the boards said he got kicked out of the Orion Restaurant on informal night for not having a jacket. My husband rented a tux(more on that later) so I didn't bring him a sport coat. I had enough to pack as it was. I figured if they were that uptight about a jacket in the dining room then we would eat in our room on those nights. We called Celebrity before we left and were told a jacket was not required. The first question I asked Vasant [the suite's butler] was if we needed a jacket and he said a long sleeve shirt was sufficient enough.

Signs of enlightenment on stuffy old Celebrity. Great news, eh, dawson?

hotspur. Enlightenment? I don't find Celebrity or it's fans to be a bit "stuffy". We do tend to resist some people's attempt to dumb down Celebrity to the lowest common denominator and loose it's uniqueness.

We just got off the Mercury yesterday and found most men wore jackets for informal night. But we did see some dressed really casual, and apparently weren't turned away...I personally like the dress codes. If I wanted to dress causal all the time, I would choose a free-style cruise line.

clvali: On informal nights, my husband will be wearing a nice pair of pants, a dress shirt or silk cream polo with sports jacket, no tie. For formal, he has a dark suit that looks like a tux with silk bow tie. A tie is not required for informal nights, but the jacket is. Some men manage to get in without the jacket on informal nights, but some get stopped.

Junicruiser & CARGAL99: I'm on the same cruise as clvali. Our cruise ends on June 3rd, so when we are getting off, you'll be getting on within a few hours. The cruise before us is the Transatlantic and we're on the 1st Galaxy Med cruise for the season. Galaxy is a great ship. Enjoy your wonderful cruise!

I recently emailed celebrity regarding the dress code for informal evenings. They stated what most people have, Men--Jacket, shirt and tie, sport coat and tie. It seems to be a grey area even to them as they used words like " our guests generrally adhere to the suggested dress code" & "suggested dress code in the main dining room" I was wondering if a nice shirt and tie would be sufficient for informal evenings. After all, the dress codes are merely "suggested"????? I guess ther are always other dining options. By the way, this will be our first cruise so we are not as knowledgable as many of you. Sailing on the summit, 08/12/05. All of these heated discussion on dress codes are making me nervous.

Archived