so in fairness

Hawaiidan

Whoa folks, just because someone doesn't want to cruise with children on board doesn't make them a bad person. Where are the mean spirited statements? I love kids, but like others here I really don't want to spend much time around them on vacation. Now, until Oceania makes a policy one way or another I realize that when I cruise with them there is the reasonable expectation that there may be children on board. It's not going to get me out of joint one way or another if there are.

Could you quote the "rancid remarks"? I seemed to have missed them.

Yah, I love the fact that just because one doesn't want to deal with kids on vacation means they are an evil child-hater who must kick puppies in their spare time. Kids are fine in their place. Some people just have different idea about what is appropriate. I bet even the die hard pro-kid people in this discussion want some 'adult time' occasionally.

That one of the principal problems of children on an adult atmosphere cruise, is the intollerance and arrogance of people who want to do their thing and strike out at any counter opinion.

Its called entitlement I think and some see it as their right to do anything. Anyone who thus does not agree is a vile , evil person..

This is indeed a serious underlying problem..and why it makes the child on board situation even worse. Some people can not fathom that you dont want to be in ador of their offsprings and strike out with venom at anyone who dare think othrwise. They strike out;rancid, hatefull, vile.

Gee, I wonder what is actualy their social agenda or deficit. Only the child promoters have so struck out. All others expressed calm rational opinion of why they enjoyed the company of other adults in an all adult atmosphere. What is wrong with that?

It is not normal for adults to seek out interaction with children in adult environs. I think that happened in Penn State recently.. did it not?

Children in any adult situation totaly change the dynamics for all.. and not for the better.

Whoa folks, just because someone doesn't want to cruise with children on board doesn't make them a bad person. Where are the mean spirited statements? I love kids, but like others here I really don't want to spend much time around them on vacation. Now, until Oceania makes a policy one way or another I realize that when I cruise with them there is the reasonable expectation that there may be children on board. It's not going to get me out of joint one way or another if there are.

Could you quote the "rancid remarks"? I seemed to have missed them.

"Life is too short to put up with a bunch of urchines."

Thought this went south with Oliver Twist.:)

And now I flee this thread...I hear laughing children outside.

That one of the principal problems of children on an adult atmosphere cruise, is the intollerance and arrogance of people who want to do their thing and strike out at any counter opinion.

Its called entitlement I think and some see it as their right to do anything. Anyone who thus does not agree is a vile , evil person..

This is indeed a serious underlying problem..and why it makes the child on board situation even worse. Some people can not fathom that you dont want to be in ador of their offsprings and strike out with venom at anyone who dare think othrwise. They strike out;rancid, hatefull, vile.

Gee, I wonder what is actualy their social agenda or deficit. Only the child promoters have so struck out. All others expressed calm rational opinion of why they enjoyed the company of other adults in an all adult atmosphere. What is wrong with that?

It is not normal for adults to seek out interaction with children in adult environs. I think that happened in Penn State recently.. did it not?

Children in any adult situation totaly change the dynamics for all.. and not for the better.

I find your comments interesting. It seems you have dubbed me as a "child promotor" and noted the intolerance and arrogance of those who want to "do their own thing" and stirke out at any counter opinion.

May I remind you who started both these "child policy" threads, and who is now attacking the counter opinion expressed by a few. I am not a "child promotor", per se, and yes, I do enjoy adult time (so much, in fact, I have no children or grandchildren - and that was a conscious decision). Rather I am a promotor of "live and let live." I believe in granting our fellow travellers the same "entitlements" aboard O as I wish for myself, as long as neither steps outside the bounds of societal rules and is made to suffer the consequences if they do. The threats by some to stop cruising O because they haven't banned children, and the ugly comments which you take to be "calm" and "rational" amaze me. Yes, calling children "urchins" and suggesting people who do not share your opinion might be child abusers is ugly.

I did indicate I do not wish to travel with people with such narrow and mean-spirited opinions about their fellow travellers (of any age), and I am as adamant about my opinion as you are about not wanting to travel with children. I believe your comments say volumes about you, as mine do about me. Therefore, I wish you well, may we never meet, and I too flee this thoroughly unpleasant thread.

Having just returned from our cruise on Riviera where there were many children on board, I will share my observations having made mental notes of all rude behavior observed aboard.

My scorecard had the adults losing by a score of 5 to 2. One kid offense was a typical "I want to leave now" episode by a ~5 year old in Baristas. The other was actually my young adult daughter who banged on the cabin door at ~2:00am because it was accidentally locked from the inside. (I am not sure if anyone else was bothered by this; if you were on deck nine, mid-ship, port side and heard this on August 7th, my sincere apologies.)

The adult offenses: cutting in line 2 times, one occurrence scored an extra point because after cutting the line, the elderly man proceeded to hold everyone up with a snails paced shuffle. One point went to a ~60 year old guy who cheated at Croquet! One went to a man who rudely complained to the DJ and was obnoxious to a group of 17-25 year olds dancing to the music simply because it was not to his taste.

That is not a bad list for a ten day cruise which says something about the O clientele.

Sleeping Cat, I have to comment about something you said. "...the elderly man proceeded to hold everyone up with a snail's pace shuffle...." My husband is suffering from Parkinson's and has a snail's pace shuffle. No, he does not cut in line, but I'm sure he will hold someone up because he cannot walk any faster.

Sleeping Cat, I have to comment about something you said. "...the elderly man proceeded to hold everyone up with a snail's pace shuffle...." My husband is suffering from Parkinson's and has a snail's pace shuffle. No, he does not cut in line, but I'm sure he will hold someone up because he cannot walk any faster.

Can't imagine what the big rush can be when your on vacation on a ship.:confused:

Wonderful that your DH can still cruise. :)

Thank you. This is very kind of you. I can well remember not so long ago having 5 cruises booked -- not any longer! But the good part is that he hasn't regressed. He will never progress, so holding his own is more than we can hope for.:)

Archived