Traveling alone with 3yo twins, luggage and car seats?

blancheneigedlp

So I'm traveling alone with my 3yo twins next January to Florida to take the Epic. I wasn't going to take their car seats because I can't imagine how I'm going to get through the airport, on the plane, off the plane and to a hotel with 2 toddlers, 2 car seats and all of our luggage.

I have CARES harnesses for the plane (FAA approved) which is what I normally use when I fly with them, and I have already talked to Orange Shuttle who said they would provide car seats for the transfers to the hotel and port.

But now I'm worried about the port cities where the ship docks. Are there excursions we can do that won't require transportation? I will check the Port forums too, but I thought that maybe the Family forum would have some suggestions that maybe I hadn't thought of?

There's no way I can carry 2 car seats and all of our stuff and I don't think I can push 2 Go Go Kids by myself?

I wouldn't worry. Children are safer travelling by bus over short distances than they are walking. A car running into a bus does a lot less damage than a car running into an umprotected child on the footpath.

Sorry to put it quite so brutally, but it's a statistical truth. Travelling by bus is not a dangerous form of transport, whether secured or not.

What are your ports? This is going to make a big difference in our answers.

While a bus does offer a good deal of protection, they are designed for people who are at least the size of a 4 yo child...think a child going to school. Otherwise children can be hurt on a bus as the safety design features cannot work as well because of the child's physical size. That being said, I would pick a bus over a taxi any day.

Have you considered buying cheap car seats at your port of embarkation? That could also solve the problem.

Sorry...I can't believe you can't read my mind!

Epic Eastern Caribbean - St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Nassau.

We did that itinerary with a 3 yo, here is what we did:

St Maartin we walked around the downtown. Found the Star Wars museum for DS1 and DH, then the truffle place for DS2 and I! Next time we will take a taxi to Maho beach, but with seats for the boys.

St Thomas...whatever you do, DO NOT take toe "open air safari" buses. They are Ford trucks converted to have 5 benches where the truck bed usually lies. No doors, seatbelts, nothing. I would not consider it a safe method of transportation for myself, nevemind a child. This is a place you may need a car seat if doing an excursion, we went to Coral World and Coki Beach by taxi and car seat/booster.

Nassau, we took the water taxi to Blue Lagoon to do a dolphin excursion. You can also go to their beach, which would be another excursion where no car seat is needed.

Hopefully others have more ideas for you, that's the beauty of this forum!

We did that itinerary with a 3 yo' date=' here is what we did:

St Maartin we walked around the downtown. Found the Star Wars museum for DS1 and DH, then the truffle place for DS2 and I! Next time we will take a taxi to Maho beach, but with seats for the boys.

[b']St Thomas...whatever you do, DO NOT take toe "open air safari" buses. They are Ford trucks converted to have 5 benches where the truck bed usually lies. No doors, seatbelts, nothing. I would not consider it a safe method of transportation for myself, nevemind a child. [/b]This is a place you may need a car seat if doing an excursion, we went to Coral World and Coki Beach by taxi and car seat/booster.

Nassau, we took the water taxi to Blue Lagoon to do a dolphin excursion. You can also go to their beach, which would be another excursion where no car seat is needed.

Hopefully others have more ideas for you, that's the beauty of this forum!

This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. I was thinking we'd stay onboard for one port day, so maybe St. Thomas is the one...hopefully, I'll get some more advice! Thanks!

I know I saw on a website. I think it is called one step ahead or something. There are travel seats that are very small. You could always get those. honestly I have never taken a seat with us on cruises. I am going to sound bad but I always had us in a taxi or bus.

We have done all of these ports with our son. I think if you plan your port days in advance you can get away with leaving the car seats at home.

In St. Maarten, we took the water taxi across the bay to the downtown area. Plenty of shopping, dining, and a great beach right there.

In St. Thomas, there is shopping right at the port, and if you want to do something unique that's in walking distance, we did the SkyRide to Paradise Point. There was a tacky little bar/ restaurant at the top and the view was great. A bit pricy, but a fun way to spend 2 hrs and our DS loved it. An alternative, is to rent a car and car seats. I think it's Budget that is right at the port, and the prices for a 1 day rental aren't bad. You can then drive to which ever beach you like.

In Nassau we walked to the zoo. It was a long walk (just over a mile) and I carried DS in the ERGO. We stopped at an Arawak Cay fish fry restaurant for lunch (yum, conchfritters!). With 2 kids age 3, I don't think I'd recommend the walk unless you had your double stroller. The zoo is cute, and the flamingo show is a delight, but if you stay on board for 1 port day, my opinion would be to stay on board in Nassau.

We have done all of these ports with our son. I think if you plan your port days in advance you can get away with leaving the car seats at home.

In St. Maarten, we took the water taxi across the bay to the downtown area. Plenty of shopping, dining, and a great beach right there.

In St. Thomas, there is shopping right at the port, and if you want to do something unique that's in walking distance, we did the SkyRide to Paradise Point. There was a tacky little bar/ restaurant at the top and the view was great. A bit pricy, but a fun way to spend 2 hrs and our DS loved it. An alternative, is to rent a car and car seats. I think it's Budget that is right at the port, and the prices for a 1 day rental aren't bad. You can then drive to which ever beach you like.

In Nassau we walked to the zoo. It was a long walk (just over a mile) and I carried DS in the ERGO. We stopped at an Arawak Cay fish fry restaurant for lunch (yum, conchfritters!). With 2 kids age 3, I don't think I'd recommend the walk unless you had your double stroller. The zoo is cute, and the flamingo show is a delight, but if you stay on board for 1 port day, my opinion would be to stay on board in Nassau.

I was thinking about the SkyRide. I know I would love it; I'm not sure whether 2x would love it or be scared out of their minds! :p Renting a car could be a possibility too...good to know. I'd love to take them to a zoo, but that sounds too far to walk with 3 year olds. I doubt I'm going to bring our stroller, but maybe...

We did the southern route with my twins last year (they were three then) and brought booster seats but never used them off the ship. We did take buses and even an open air buggy on excursions and they were fine. Did I freak a bit- sure, but really it was no problem. You sit in the middle with a grip of them on both sides. You will be fine!

PS. You are super woman. I still have trouble taking them both out in public by myself.

I doubt I'm going to bring our stroller, but maybe...

I cruise alone with my twins as well, and I loved having a stroller for them since I didn't have anyone to hand one off to :). It was nice to be able to take long walks and be able to keep going if one got tired or started acting up. Mine were good about the stroller though, if yours are done with it, that makes sense. I just loved it as a rolling carry cart if nothing else!

Have a great trip!

Best,

Mia

In St Thomas, we just walk into the main area, do a walk around and head back to the ship (if we don't do a beach day). We always pop in to the ben and Jerry's for ice cream for the kids and eat it out on a bench. They like that sort of thing.

A word of warning for driving in St Thomas.

St Thomas (Charlotte Amelie) was laid out by the Dutch in Holland. Relatively straight streets with no consideration for the hills.:eek: The cars are left hand drive and they drive on the left (like in England.)

Going up the Sky Ride is nice and so is just walking around town. There is a butterfly attraction at the dock.

If you need any supplies there is a KMart in town.

We stayed at the Marriott (Frenchmans reef??) that is across the bay from downtown in St Thomas. There is a water taxi from downtown. The beach is public at the Marriott, so you can take your own towels and hang there for the day. They have a cafe right on the beach. If you take the water taxi, you have to go through the resort to get to the back side of the hotel to get to the beach. Very beautiful and toddler friendly. I think you can also rent beach chairs there.

I'd love to take them to a zoo, but that sounds too far to walk with 3 year olds. I doubt I'm going to bring our stroller, but maybe...

Don't even consider walking it - absolutely not. Walking is far more dangerous than riding, even if they haven't got a car seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Kuddo's for the mom's considering traveling with your twins or children by yourself. My twins are 8 and becoming self efficient and I am considering cruising alone with them in March.. I am so proud of all of you, because those younger years was hard!!!!

Grant it, I have taken them camping plenty of times by myself since they were 4 but traveling far for a cruise. Kinda wish I would have sooner so I could have been pampered.

Sheila

Archived