Favorite Rome restaurant????

FLsunshinegal

Although it has become popular with tourists, particularly Americans (due in part to glowing internet reviews), I still usually eat at Taverna dei Fori Imperiali at least once each year. http://www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/english.htm

I discovered when I went there in March that another of my favorites, La Pigna, has closed. :( If I'd known that my dinner there in October would be my last ... well, I guess I wouldn't have done anything different because it was a great night with friends, but still, it's sad.

For a great, memorable (but not inexpensive) meal, I always enjoy Piperno. They are located in the old Jewish ghetto and specialize in traditional Roman dishes. Their artichokes (carciofi alla giudia) are not to be missed when in season.

http://www.ristorantepiperno.com/index.htm

Risotto is more of a northern Italian dish, but I'm sure you'll find it on the menu at plenty of restaurants in Rome.

Thanks for the tips. Sometimes the tourist places can be really great, now that we have an easy way to share info about them.

Didn't realize that risotto was northern Italian.......

One of our favorite places in Rome is Orzo 80 for a carafe of their red wine and their wonderful antipasta. Now I have some new places to try. I'm always looking - and do hate it when one of our favorites isn't there when we get back.

I second Piperno, located on a lovely tiny piazza near the Ghetto. If weather is nice, reserve a table outside. Yup, the artichokes are famous & excellent as is most everything else offered, especially the traditional Roman dishes that are hard to find elsewhere like oxtail. On Thursday, they serve an unusual soup of skate and broccoli (its delicious).

Risotto is not a Roman specialty. If you order it, likely a disappoinment. Go for pasta basic dishes. The Taverna dei Imperiali mentioned was hit or miss the times I have been there over the years.

La Gensola in Trastevere is a Sicilian fish place with very good pasta and fresh fish, nice room to have lunch, waiters are characters out of Prizzi's Honor, and the chef Claudio does a masterful job with the whole menu.

As better restaurants are small sized, you need to reserve for lunch rather than just popping in, told no and then having to settle for a bad meal at a tourist trap.

We really loved L'Orso 80 in Rome! I believe that there are two-one being fancy and the other being family style. We ate at the family style and they brought everything to the table in large platters and everyone helps themselves. Wine included! Highlight of our trip! I don't know about risotto there as we found that the different cities had their own type of food styles. Had risotto in Venice though!

Although it has become popular with tourists, particularly Americans (due in part to glowing internet reviews), I still usually eat at Taverna dei Fori Imperiali at least once each year. http://www.latavernadeiforiimperiali.com/english.htm

I discovered when I went there in March that another of my favorites, La Pigna, has closed. :( If I'd known that my dinner there in October would be my last ... well, I guess I wouldn't have done anything different because it was a great night with friends, but still, it's sad.

For a great, memorable (but not inexpensive) meal, I always enjoy Piperno. They are located in the old Jewish ghetto and specialize in traditional Roman dishes. Their artichokes (carciofi alla giudia) are not to be missed when in season.

http://www.ristorantepiperno.com/index.htm

Risotto is more of a northern Italian dish, but I'm sure you'll find it on the menu at plenty of restaurants in Rome.

Both of these restaurants sound and look great. After our 12 day med in October we are flying with another couple back to Rome and spending 5 nights there in an apartment near Campo de' Fiori. Both of these look to be pretty close to the apartment so we will hopefully get a chance to try them both. Thank you!

Speaking of artichokes, do you know when their season is? I'd imagine like here - spring would likely be the season, but we're going in NOv. My mom read somewhere about them and now that's all she wants / talks about getting when we go. Any chance we'll be able to find them when we're there?

If you do feel like risotto, there is a great place near the Spanish steps, recommended by trip advisor. The name escapes me, duh!

Didn't know there were two Orso's. We only know the one that is casual, recommended by a chef from Rome at one of our cooking classes. We'll have to google to find out where the other one is.

Thanks!

Our favorite restaurant in Rome is Renovatio La Soffita near the Vatican (in Piazza Risorgimento.) They have a website which includes their menu.

They have fabulous risotto! I usually get it with octopus or assorted seafood.

We ate there over 50 times in less than a year during 2 trips to Rome. You can tell we love it.

We usually go in the spring when artichokes are in season. They are delicious. I've also had them fried as an appetizer. That was unique but I didn't like them as well as the cooked ones.

Our favorite restaurant in Rome is Renovatio La Soffita near the Vatican (in Piazza Risorgimento.) They have a website which includes their menu.

They have fabulous risotto! I usually get it with octopus or assorted seafood.

We ate there over 50 times in less than a year during 2 trips to Rome. You can tell we love it.

We usually go in the spring when artichokes are in season. They are delicious. I've also had them fried as an appetizer. That was unique but I didn't like them as well as the cooked ones.

We're only there for four days, but this restaurant is near the very top of places to try!

Thank you!

Gosh, I wish I could remember the name of the VERY TOURISTY restaurant in Piazza Navonna we ate at last November. Because it was delicious !!!!

It was chilly outside, a slight drizzle off and on, but they had the plastic walls down and the gas heaters on so we sat outside....... only us and 2 other tables doing so......

I had the pumpkin soup (never had it before) and I just couldn't get enough ! I then had the homemade ravioli (the owners mother made it that morning) YUM

It was so good we went back again - of course I had the pumpkin soup but this time I had a wonderful lamb stew ---- OMG was it good :D

Anyway, if you are coming from the Pantheon area and enter the Piazza thru the middle entrance (facing the church) turn right and it was the second restaurant. Definitely a tourist area but NOT tourist food ....... I will be going back when we get back to Rome and there is ALWAYS a next time ;)

Okay, technology is a wonderful thing.

Just went on to Google Earth.......

Restaurants name is: Panzirone

Here is the website

http://www.panzirone.it/en/index.php

It doesn't get very many stars on trip advisor...... can't really say much except both meals we had here were really really good.

OK - thats my two cents worth.

Are not stars, but people who've been there and go back and write about it. My favorite jewelry store is on the side store near the Pantheon. Face it, then take the little street mist on the left. Store is up a little way on the right. Great stuff and nice prices.

Thanks!

It doesn't get very many stars on trip advisor

I don't put much stock (in fact, almost none) in Trip Advisor ratings as I've seen first hand how easily they can be manipulated. I agree that reading a descriptive report from someone who has been there is much more insightful than an arbitrary (and unreliable) rating scheme.

Another place I like in Rome is a tiny restaurant and pizzeria in Trastevere called Sette Oche in Altalena. I've only eaten lunch there, perhaps five or six times in the past few years, but it has always been good. Not gourmet, certainly, but good food at reasonable prices. It's located a block behind Piazza in Piscinula (the piazza you come to when you cross over from Tiber Island). I've never sat outside because there's a high school across the street and it can get really loud when school is in session, but inside is nice. Web site here: http://www.setteoche.ea23.com/

I agree - I don't look at the stars either but I do read the reviews......

Not sure why we even went here in the first place except the owner was standing out front as we walked by..... I saw the ravioli and he said his mom made it that morning. I don't doubt it - it was so fresh and definitely homemade (you can tell when they are not all the same size and the way they are crimped). And as for the pumpkin soup...... I just got a wild hair as it sounded interesting. It was so good. You know how sometimes you try something and you just can't get enough ???? Hmmm come to think of it I do that a lot when I travel ;) It really hit the spot too since it was cool at night in early Nov. The second night we went back was before we headed to the opera so we went early....it was just as good if not better

Archived