How much Turkish Lira?

Realize this is not an easy question to answer but approximately how many Turkish Lira should we purchase in advance?

We are going to DIY so will need tram money, entrance fees, lunch and probably some minor shopping at the Spice market.

Dont want to be short but dont want a handful of lira as a souvenir either;)

We hit the ATM right off the ship and got the equivalent of $200 US. We used it for the tram (we were there overnight - so 2 days of tram tokens), entrance fees, some small shopping items (both Grand Bazaar and Spice) and drinks. We used our credit card for larger items when shopping and for lunch.

I will say we had a small amount left over but our next port was Kusadasi so we spent the rest of it there.

Keep in mind that ATMs are darn near everywhere in Istanbul so if you do not get enough it will be relatively easy to get more. The one place I do not recall seeing a convenient ATM was at Topkapi (might be there but we did not see one) so you would want enough Lira if you wanted to purchase admission there...or a credit card (they took MC and Visa).

Hank

I'd just do a little research online and figure out the known costs, for example:

Number of tram rides x number of people x cost

Cost for entrances to (Haghia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Harem tour, Cisterns, etc) x number of people

Prices for entry are easily found online. Also, others have posted a site where you can purchase the tickets in advance if you prefer (no waiting in line, no need for TL). A search on this forum should turn up the link.

Lunch could be as little as 15 TL per person for some kofte (meatballs) and piyazh (bean salad) at the Sultanahmet Koftecisi (beverage extra), or it could be more like 50 TL per person at a nice restaurant like Albura Kathisma with a salad and an entree.

As to shopping, only you can figure that out! Also, as already noted, ATMs are very plentiful in Istanbul, so you shouldn't have a problem getting more lira if needed.

Realize this is not an easy question to answer but approximately how many Turkish Lira should we purchase in advance?

We are going to DIY so will need tram money, entrance fees, lunch and probably some minor shopping at the Spice market.

Dont want to be short but dont want a handful of lira as a souvenir either;)

I was there last month and in case it's any help :

Each tram ride costs 2 TL and you'll need a couple (pp) to go from port area - Sultanahmet and back. Maybe a couple more if you tram rather than walk to the Grand Bazaar (don't bother)

And then for entrance fees :

Hagia Sophia 25 TL (u12s free) I got ours online to avoid the lines.

Topkapi Palace 25 TL If you go into the Harem it's 15 more

Blue Mosque - no charge

Basiiica Cistern 10 TL (you can't buy these ahead of the visit)

Trip to top of Galata Tower 12 TL (I think)

So all that adds up to about 95 TL, +/- 5 TL Throw in 10 more for drinks and a kebab, 20-30 for souvenirs and you'll not be far out. And if you are going to Kusadasi you can blow any left over there. All the best, Tony

As a side note:

you really will get better deals if you use lira to shop..... the lira is currently approximately 2 to 1 exchange (1 TL = .555747 US$) so its easy to convert what you are really paying in US $. If something is 100 TL then you are paying approximately $50.00. I think when you pay US$ they tend to "fudge" the exchange rate a bit - at least that is what we found :rolleyes:

and

the food here is sooooo amazing - if you can, take the time to enjoy lunch. There are tons of sidewalk type cafes as well as sit down inside restaurants. Our favorite is the Bodrum Restaurant. It is right across the street from Hagia Sophia/Blue Mosque area right on the park corner opposite from the Cistern entrance. So very convenient. We sat outside under the umbrellas and people watched. I had the Bodrum special which was a wonderful stew type meal with all the yummy spices they use in Turkey ! Dh had Bosphorous fish and enjoyed it too. Warning: it does come with the head on ;)

I was there last month and in case it's any help :

Each tram ride costs 2 TL and you'll need a couple (pp) to go from port area - Sultanahmet and back. Maybe a couple more if you tram rather than walk to the Grand Bazaar (don't bother)

And then for entrance fees :

Hagia Sophia 25 TL (u12s free) I got ours online to avoid the lines.

Topkapi Palace 25 TL If you go into the Harem it's 15 more

Blue Mosque - no charge

Basiiica Cistern 10 TL (you can't buy these ahead of the visit)

Trip to top of Galata Tower 12 TL (I think)

So all that adds up to about 95 TL, +/- 5 TL Throw in 10 more for drinks and a kebab, 20-30 for souvenirs and you'll not be far out. And if you are going to Kusadasi you can blow any left over there. All the best, Tony

Thank you so much very helpful..

As a side note:

you really will get better deals if you use lira to shop..... the lira is currently approximately 2 to 1 exchange (1 TL = .555747 US$) so its easy to convert what you are really paying in US $. If something is 100 TL then you are paying approximately $50.00. I think when you pay US$ they tend to "fudge" the exchange rate a bit - at least that is what we found :rolleyes:

and

the food here is sooooo amazing - if you can, take the time to enjoy lunch. There are tons of sidewalk type cafes as well as sit down inside restaurants. Our favorite is the Bodrum Restaurant. It is right across the street from Hagia Sophia/Blue Mosque area right on the park corner opposite from the Cistern entrance. So very convenient. We sat outside under the umbrellas and people watched. I had the Bodrum special which was a wonderful stew type meal with all the yummy spices they use in Turkey ! Dh had Bosphorous fish and enjoyed it too. Warning: it does come with the head on ;)

We are defintely going to try your restaurant recomm. Love to do that..take time to people watch I mean

Think I will order the stew however! Dont like my food to look at me...

This is why I love CC - you guys are so helpful!

Thank you for that nice breakdown of costs. Also the restaurant recommendation. Our sons' are going to be with us and 1 loves fish, but the other doesn't

There is tons to eat besides fish....... kabobs - beef, chicken, pork or lamb, stews, mezas (appetizer like items) and much more. You will not have a problem finding something you will all like. MMMMMM my mouth is watering right now !

Archived