Greek Isles- NCL Jade 7/13/2012 review

tiggerman101

Excellent from start to finish , great photos , I sailing on Jade in 6 weeks (19/7/13) and you have been a great help with all the tips in the ports.

I'm just a bit worried there's no self disembark , I have a flight at 11:50 am home to Ireland do you think I will be ok for getting to the airport for 10:00am ??

I'm just a bit worried there's no self disembark , I have a flight at 11:50 am home to Ireland do you think I will be ok for getting to the airport for 10:00am ??

We are sailing the Jade in August and this has been my concern also! I have had conflicting advice/answers from NCL and from the Port of Venice. :confused:

NCL advises that self-disembark IS available BUT that the Port of Venice is hugely busy and their advice is to place luggage outside cabins the night before FOR EASE ( NOT that you can't do it! ) but the Port of Venice advice is no self-disembark!!

Then you read reviews where people HAVE self-disembarked so I am still left wondering!!

Even if we DO have to place our luggage out the night before, I would think that you would easily make that flight if you plan to be off ship early enough!

I have really enjoyed reading this review, we are sailing on jade in July (19th) it's our first time on ncl. Did you book the resteraunts before sailing and did you do the 3resteraunt package. And how did you get back to airport once you had arrived in Venice?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on my first ever cruise in late September, on this cruise leaving September 28, 2013 from Venice. Your review was so helpful in planning our shore excursions and I'm afraid that it might spoil me for any future cruise :).

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much, David, for the time and thoughtfulness you put into your review, as well as the many outstanding photos. We are taking this same cruise on NCL Jade September 28 and I feel so much better prepared after following your journey!

Thank you so much, David, for the time and thoughtfulness you put into your review, as well as the many outstanding photos. We are taking this same cruise on NCL Jade September 28 and I feel so much better prepared after following your journey!

Hi fogcitymom,

I will be on this cruise also. I loved this review because it helped me think through some of the questions that I've had. This will be my first cruise ever and, based on this review and others, it really sounds like it is going to be a great time!!!

Sharon

Thank you for the review. It was great with amazing photos. We sail on the jade on the 24th August to Croatia etc and Izmir is one if our stops. It was amazing to read all the information on this stop as we have already been to Ephesus.

Also thank you for your information on Venice. I have never been and we are staying 4 nights before our cruise.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I wanted to thank you for an excellent review. I have been reading these forums for years, have searched numerous subjects and I am always glad to find answers here. I have never "joined", preferring to be "on the outside looking in". I must say I felt compelled to join and give you my feedback. I too was impressed with all your pics, I will be on the Jade, leaving Venice in July. I stumbled upon your post, enjoyed it immensely and will re-read it to fine tune my upcoming visit. I have booked an aft cabin for the first time, to see what all the hype was about…..and wouldn't you know I am in the exact same cabin…..10168. I can't wait, now my planning can continue, including a new camera….:D

• 6 months later...

Thanks for all the info. We are heading off on the jade visiting many of the same ports in sept '14. I think we are on one of those bookings where we are guaranteed a balcony but as yet it isn't allocated...hoping for an upgrade or perhaps the 'aft.' Thanks again.

We walked the ship a bit before dinner and listened to the piano player in the atrium:

254.jpg

Then we went to meet for dinner. The hostess outside the Jasmine Garden again addressed us by name and asked about our day. We had a few minutes before our reservation so I went to the bar for a virgin Bloody Mary.

Dinner was great. I love the show they put on, but the food is actually very, very good. I like the communal seating and we had some good table mates. Our chef was personable and fun.

255.jpg

We sat next to a nice German couple that we would see all over the ship for the remainder of the cruise. We would have loved to hang out with them some, but the girl spoke virtually no english and the man was very limited. It did bring about an interesting factor for this cruise. The whole trip Wade and I were pretty much on our own. Our CC Roll Call was a dud and we didn't even have a meet and greet. Our last cruise to Hawaii was a HUGE group and we were constantly running into people, meeting up, etc. It felt a little odd this time around.

Anyway, dinner was good and the chefs posed for one more shot:

256.jpg

Of course, we meandered around a bit then headed back to our cabin. The TV actually was a low point. First it was small and second there was not much variety. They did have an english movie channel which we watched a lot, but they repeated the same movies often. I don't care how cute it is, I never want to see that dang movie about the trapped whales in Alaska ever again (Big Miracle).

Well, tomorrow was Santorini and the port I was looking forward to the most. I was really excited. If anyone is actually reading this (seriously, anyone but the two that have commented? lol) then be prepared for a ton of pictures. Santorini did not disappoint. In fact, in over 50+ ports that I have been to, this one shot to the very top for me.

Following and loving the review- doing 14 days on the jade next spring with 5 others. Enjoying the review and tips!