Westerdam or Eurodam

DiploTraveler

I'm looking at two Caribbean cruises: Westerdam and Eurodam. I'd be booking a Verandah (probably VD).

All things being equal (ports, room category, etc.), is there any reason why I should prefer one over the other? I know Eurodam is newer. Will Westerdam feel more "worn"?

The Westerdam is a wonderful ship and in my estimation does not feel worn. Hal takes excellent care of their ships. I like the Westerdam alot, especially the Captains on this ship. Pinnacle is excellent as is the MDR.

The Eurodam, yes its newer and it does have another restaurant that the Westerdam does not have. It is call Tamarind. I've never sailed on the Eurodam but it sounds like a great ship too. I'm sure most CCer's will tell you to take the Eurodam but I say try the Westerdam.

Having been on both, neither would be a bad choice, with, as you say, all other things being equal. I agree with the other poster that the Tamarind restaurant (and the adjoining Silk Lounge) are really nice, and are only on Eurodam. That aside, your experience on either would probably be pretty similar. We've experienced more extensive wine tasting offerings and an amazing wine pairing extra-cost dinner on Eurodam, but that was probably more a function of the trans-Atlantic cruise's length than the ship itself.

The E-dam offers the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den, which the Westerdam does not. To get these, you give up a certain amount of passenger space in most public areas, as there are more passengers competing for space in the Lido/dining room, lounges, etc.

The E-dam also offers cabanas (for a price). This is either a positive or negative, depending on whether or not you want one. The Lido cabanas take up valuable deck space, and make for a crowded passageway exiting the lido pool area, forward.

The Retreat cabanas are out of the way, and generally a positive.

I've had great cruises on both. The Eurodam is newer and a bit larger and has the Tamarind Asian restaurant in addition to the Pinnacle Grill for fine dining. Other than that the lay-out of the ships are very similar and the crew on both ships were great. I loved both and would choose based on the itinerary more than the ship. I think you'd love either of them!

Both are great! The Eurodam was the first cruise ship my wife and I experienced, so it will always hold a special place. The Eurodam was practicually new in 2009 when we sailed on her so the other ships we have been on since have all seemed tired in comparison. Also, the color scheme on the Eurodam is preferable to me, but we are still going on the Westerdam again next month. Either will very enjoyable!

Archived