Gratuities - Cabin Steward - What about Assistant Cabin Steward?

Cricket2012

The steward will split it up with his team as he/she sees fit.

Much the same happens in restaurants here at home. Your waiter will take part of his tips at the end of a shift and "tip out" the busboy, the bartender, and possibly a food runner or hostess.

:)This is a very good question! I have been cruising since 1999, and the first time I actually noticed that there was a room steward who worked with an assistant was on my last cruise which was back in Sept 2010.!

Previous cruises had some really great stewards and usually tipped them extra because of their exemplary service. Only times I didnt tip extra was when I never saw the person, not once in a 7 day cruise (they did their job, room was cleaned twice daily with towel animal at night, but had no idea who he or she was), so no extra tip, as no extra service or interaction Also, two years ago, on the Freedom, first time I noticed that the room steward worked with an assistant. Room steward was pleasant and spoke to me in the hallway, but never saw him do any work in my room. The assistant was surly and somewhat rude and most definitely not friendly!

I had an issue with evening service after day one, and called to question the lack of it, and after that the room was cleaned, tidied etc, but the assistant was even ruder and more unfriendly than ever. I did not remove my autotips as I believe that it is just a pittance for the work they do, even if it is done with a bad attitude. However I did not tip extra.

This just my experience! But back to your question, I would leave my auto tips in place, and make sure I know the names of room steward and assistant steward, and depending on who did the work, and who I saw and interacted the most with, i would leave an envelope addressed to them by name the last evening of the cruise, or better still, if you see him or her, give them the extra tip.

So....for me...depends on who I see doing the work. Auto tips or prepaid tips stand in place, but any extra goes to either room steward or assistant. I dont trust the head steward to share the extras with the assistant. This just my way though, Im sure others will have other options.

Have a great cruise:)

Just like in a restaurant on land, your tips are divided by ALL who assist the server...whether it's your waiter, or room attendant.... Just tip the recommended amount to the recommended person...and you've done your duty. No extra is needed or expected.

I normally tip the asst. steward half of the extra tip i give the steward. The steward is usually fine with that and I know the asst. is getting something extra. Just my preference not anything written in stone.

I leave the autotip in place, of course, and let the cruise line divide that howeve they see fit.

We always tip the steward...and if there is one, the assistant steward...extra at the end of the cruise, in the same amount.

I frankly don't care if I ever see or interact with either of them, so long as my room is clean, and what I need is provided quickly and unobtrusively. We usually take along post-it notes and leave a message in a conspicuous spot, like on a mirror, if we have any requests. We've never had an issue that wásn't quickly resolved.

We always leave our auto tips in place and have always tipped extra. Since we became aware of the assistants to the cabin steward we bring small "thank you" cards, generally write a little something to each of them (always separate cards - we ask the name of the assistants), include an extra tip and give the cards to each of them either the last night or the morning of debarkation. As posted previously the assistants always appear to be very thankful. We've always had great service and have always wanted to tip extra.

Archived