Mariner of the Seas For The First Time!

We have 20 or so cruises behind us, mostly on Royal Caribbean, but we have never been on any of the Explorer class ships. We were on the Freedom last year, our first time on one of the really big ships, and we really enjoyed it....more than we thought we would.

I would like to hear from my fellow Royal Caribbean lovers on CC about the Mariner or the Explorer class. What's great, what's not so great, what should we not miss, the best place for a fancy martini, and of course any special spots or insider information!

Our cruise is just a couple of months away and we will have 29 days to live on this wonderful ship! August has been a rather horrible month (lost my mother on August 1 and sent my ailing father with Alzheimer's off to live with my sister in Ohio, probably the last time I will see him, 10 days later) and I could use some wonderful things about the Mariner to hold me over until the cruise gets here. I really need this cruise vacation, so sell me the Mariner big time!! :D

It's the Voyager Class.

I was on the Mariner in June for a Med cruise and absolutely loved it. Can't think of anything that you won't like. There is loads to do so you shouldn't get board. :D

I'm going on the Explorer next April which I've not been on but it's the same class, so I'm expecting much the same.

Enjoy!!

Margie, you will find Mariner very similar to Freedom. Freedom is just a stretched version of Mariner. The things missing from Freedom will be Sorrento's pizza on the Promenade, the Flow Rider, the H20 zone (kids water area), the boxing ring, and about 500 guests. On Mariner, pizza is served in Cafe Promenade. We actually enjoy Voyager class more than Freedom.

Bob

EDIT: I wanted to add that we enjoy the view from Viking Crown more on Mariner than Freedom. On Freedom you look down on the H20 zone from Viking Crown. The rest of the pool deck is somewhat obscured by the wall in front of the H20 zone. On Mariner, you look down on the entire pool deck.

Hi Margie - first of all, sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. My father passed away 2 years ago with Alzheimers. I know you're going through a rough time.

BUT, the Voyager class ships are one of my favorite class ships. Been on all of the Voyager class ships and the Mariner many times. It is like Bob said, just like the Freedom of the Seas except no H20 zone, no flowrider and no Sorrentos. And it is layed out like the Freedom. When you go on the Mariner it will have a Diamond Lounge as well as a Concierge Lounge. The Diamond Lounge will have a beautiful view up in the Viking Crown Lounge.

I really like the decor on the Mariner also. Each floor is decorated in its own theme. What I'm jealous about is that you're getting to be on her 29 days and to some wonderful places I've never been. The crew and the staff are wonderful on the ship. Enjoy the Mariner and all that it has to offer and the beautiful places you are going to visit. Again, sorry to hear about the loss of your Mom.

1. You tube dot com There are some really good overviews on You tube giving you some great views of the ship.

2. An evening (if you enjoy a cigar) is the cigar bar with a really fine after dinner drink.

3. They have added a movie screen in the pool area, evening features.

4. Viking Lounge..great views, serene.

5. Giovanni's table is new, getting great reviews.

6. Chops...fairly good steaks

The Prominade...some surprising evening entertainment.

We've just arrived in Rome for our 7 night western Med sailing on Mariner tomorrow. She was our first RCI ship back in 2004 so it will be good to see the changes. I'll give a full report on the ship when I get back to the UK.

Margie, I'm convinced you'll have a great time after the traumas you've faced recently, sorry to read about that. However, I'll trade you info on Mariner if you spill the deal on what to do and not to do when we visit Vegas in 2013 which we have got booked!

We've just arrived in Rome for our 7 night western Med sailing on Mariner tomorrow. She was our first RCI ship back in 2004 so it will be good to see the changes. I'll give a full report on the ship when I get back to the UK.

Margie, I'm convinced you'll have a great time after the traumas you've faced recently, sorry to read about that. However, I'll trade you info on Mariner if you spill the deal on what to do and not to do when we visit Vegas in 2013 which we have got booked!

I'd be happy to tell you good stuff on Vegas....tell me what you are looking for and I can make some suggestions!

Thanks all for your kind remarks about my Mom, it was a shock and totally unexpected, so I think I am still processing it.

Thanks for some good suggestions about Mariner. I am looking forward to Giovanni's Table and Chops. The big screen at the pool isn't of any interest to me. I will check out deck 4, I love spots outside and close to the water!

Keep the information coming, I need to keep my mind on her instead of the bad things that have happened this summer....cruising therapy! :D

Have you gone to the roll calls, especially the one for the TA? We did only the Holy Land last year, and the roll calll for the TA was unbelievable. I think everyone but us stayed on for the TA. They have sooo many people signed up on the roll call again this year with all kinds of activites planned in addition to parties in the US before cruising!

Check it out. They must have a great time, and I'm wondering if lots of the same people do this TA every year!

We were on Mariner on October 16, 2005. After a couple Disney cruises, we decided to try RCI. The ship was soooo impressive. We loved her. So impressed by the space and amenities. My oldest daughter and I enjoyed sneaking out at night after my wife and youngest were asleep for pizza and snacks on the Promenade. And we played a lot of miniature golf and climbed the rock wall. We couldn't comprehend an ice rink on a cruise ship in 2005! The ice show was just as good then as it is now. Not sure if it's still offered, but I remember in-line skating on Mariner was fun as well. Food was better than Disney. And there were so many quiet, relaxing areas just to read a good book and watch the ocean go by.

One other thing I remember--and this is a weird memory--is the men's room outside the dining room. It had this huge ceiling-to-floor window if I remember correctly. I remember stepping in there when we were underway and thinking, "This has to be the most awesome restroom I've ever seen." Silly, I know. But just try not to have that thought now when you see it. :)

Edit: that's assuming the women's room has the same. LOL

The biggest difference for me is Solarium. It's not enclosed and I prefer the retractable glass roof. It gets pretty windy and cold in the fall/winter. But still love Mariner, actually my favorite of the Voyager class. There's just something about her decor I love. Will be on her again in April.

And the women's room does have the window. There are actually stalls that face it. I think the doors should be glass so you can see out (no one could see in, except maybe window washers!)

And here again with regard to Giovanni's...apparently Mariner will not have it when we sail...as reported Portofini's will still be onboard.

Giovanni's table was installed during the dry dock this past spring. We were on Mariner her next to last Galveston cruise. Head waiter in Protofinos was excited....appears the advance word was great on the changeover. The menu is designed to offer a "true" taste of Italian cuisine versus what many folks are used to....domino's (those are his words, not mine!)

In 92 days we will find out!

I am certainly on the Roll Calls for both the Holy Lands and the TransAtlantic cruises and they are great! We are involved with group excursions in nearly every port of call.

I can't wait to see the MDR bathroom, sounds cool!

I was surprised (and disappointed) that the Solarium on the Freedom wasn't covered, and I am a little sad the one on Mariner is also not covered. The Solarium is usually my favorite hang out spot because it was quiet and warm...but I imagine on the transatlantic it might be rather too cool in there. :(

...I was surprised (and disappointed) that the Solarium on the Freedom wasn't covered, and I am a little sad the one on Mariner is also not covered. The Solarium is usually my favorite hang out spot because it was quiet and warm...but I imagine on the transatlantic it might be rather too cool in there. :(

You might be pleasantly surprised. Even though the Solarium is not covered, the area is more protected from the wind than the rest of the pool deck. We had some nice afternoons in Voyager's Solarium on our last TA back in November.

Bob

We were on Mariner on October 16, 2005. After a couple Disney cruises, we decided to try RCI. The ship was soooo impressive. We loved her. So impressed by the space and amenities. My oldest daughter and I enjoyed sneaking out at night after my wife and youngest were asleep for pizza and snacks on the Promenade. And we played a lot of miniature golf and climbed the rock wall. We couldn't comprehend an ice rink on a cruise ship in 2005! The ice show was just as good then as it is now. Not sure if it's still offered, but I remember in-line skating on Mariner was fun as well. Food was better than Disney. And there were so many quiet, relaxing areas just to read a good book and watch the ocean go by.

One other thing I remember--and this is a weird memory--is the men's room outside the dining room. It had this huge ceiling-to-floor window if I remember correctly. I remember stepping in there when we were underway and thinking, "This has to be the most awesome restroom I've ever seen." Silly, I know. But just try not to have that thought now when you see it. :)

Edit: that's assuming the women's room has the same. LOL

Yes it is must see for everyone!!!

You might be pleasantly surprised. Even though the Solarium is not covered, the area is more protected from the wind than the rest of the pool deck. We had some nice afternoons in Voyager's Solarium on our last TA back in November.

Bob

That's good to hear because I thought the Solarium on the Freedom was windy and noisy, where as the Solarium on the other class of ships we have cruised were so quiet and peaceful.

I will enjoy the Britto artwork. I had never seen Britto before I was on the Freedom. I bought a cover for my iPhone on the Freedom and I get comments about it all the time. Maybe on the Mariner I will buy something a little larger....I get a Diamond discount, so that always helps!

We have 20 or so cruises behind us, mostly on Royal Caribbean, but we have never been on any of the Explorer class ships. We were on the Freedom last year, our first time on one of the really big ships, and we really enjoyed it....more than we thought we would.

I would like to hear from my fellow Royal Caribbean lovers on CC about the Mariner or the Explorer class. What's great, what's not so great, what should we not miss, the best place for a fancy martini, and of course any special spots or insider information!

Our cruise is just a couple of months away and we will have 29 days to live on this wonderful ship! August has been a rather horrible month (lost my mother on August 1 and sent my ailing father with Alzheimer's off to live with my sister in Ohio, probably the last time I will see him, 10 days later) and I could use some wonderful things about the Mariner to hold me over until the cruise gets here. I really need this cruise vacation, so sell me the Mariner big time!! :D

Desert Belle and her man, ur gonna love the newly refurbished Mariner of the Seas she is so gentle and elegant, went on her last month... I travel alot on these ships, I give my input on what goes on here and there on our lines... she is such an elegant woman. Her sister ships Exployer leaving out of NJ this week with me included on it... will be a delightful experience. The sister ships are a good wise choice, we have a promanade which is what I love to sit and have a glass of wine and watch life pass me by. that is what I like to do besides here complaints from the customers. but overall we love this ship. I hope you will be able to get out since this new hurricane is coming towards this, by friday.

well... you enjoy this class ship its very nice small and cozy.:D

Well we're sat at Rome airport waiting for our flight home after a truly fantastic week on Mariner. She is one heck of a ship, beautifully maintained with the friendliest and most helpful staff I can remember on a RCI ship.

Giovanni's Table is superb as are the staff there. We ate there twice as it was so good and such good value IMHO for the $20 per person surcharge.

I am in the process of writing up my review, it will be long and detailed, especially as we got a surprise invite to dine with the Captain.

Any questions, please ask and I'll answer as best I can.

Archived