What's your greatest cruise moment or worst?

KrUzTaLkEr

Best: my last cruise 2 summers ago with my boys (then aged 8 and 11 or so) on the Triumph. They had asked me for money to go to the gameroom and I gave them only so much early that first eveing. They later met me while I was shopping and asked me for more (??) Keep in mind...we are only talking 3-4 more dollars. I never thought too much about it... Late that night after we had seen a show at the theatre then called it a night...we headed back to our cabin. There laying on the desk was a flower wrapped in tissue paper with a note! (I thought it was an error) My precious boys had taken their $6 total or so and went and bought me a rose with a card that read "thanks for bringing us on a cruise mom..this is a blast...love __ and __!" I cried it was so sweet!! They never even played video games that night..they used all their money on a flower for mom :) Awwwee...darn it...get me another tissue...:)

Esmerelda

The best time was seeing the look on my daughter's face when we pulled up to NCL Majesty. Her eyes got so wide and the smile on her face. Well, the smile continued on the cruise to Bermuda for the entire week. It was so much fun to enjoy her first cruise. Can't wait to see the look on her face (and mine) when we sail Carnival Glory this summer!

Out of all 7 of my cruises, I have a really hard time picking out my BEST moment. But one of my favorites was before we got on the Inspiration in 1991. This was my youngest's first cruise, and she was about 2 1/2 at the time. Up until we got in the car to drive to New Orleans, she was all excited about the cruise. Then as soon as we loaded up and started driving, she started saying she didn't want to get on the boat. Didn't want to discuss it -- that was it -- she was not going to get on that boat. All night New Orleans, kept saying the same thing. The next morning, we left the hotel and drove to the port parking, and she was still swearing she did not want to get on that boat. Well, I was starting to get worried by this point. I did not want to be THAT Mom on the ship with the screaming kid who wanted off the boat. I did not want to have to drag her kicking and screaming up the gangplank!! Well, we turned the corner and the ship came in to view. As soon as she saw that big ship, her eyes got all wide and she screamed "I wanna go on the ship!" Talk about relief!

She is a totally hooked cruiser now!

Our most memorable cruise moment was when we were on our first cruise on the Disney Wonder. My DD then 4 had just had her toe run over by the loading dock that day when we had gone on the glass bottom boat in Nassau. She had cried during the whole excursion and ended up losing her toe nail over it. Later in the day we had gone to watch the show "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer" and my DH maked sure I get our lucky seat "21". As we are waiting for the show to start the waiter comes behind us with a tray full of Bahama Mama's and dumps them right over my head into my lap. Needless to say I screamed in shock, my DD starts crying because she got splattered on her new dress (she's such a little drama queen), my DH, DS and the friends we were with were trying really hard not to laugh, and the waiter was apologizing profusely. I am sure we made quite a site!! LOL!!! I tried to reassure the waiter that everything was alright but with my daughter crying I'm sure he was feeling like a real heel. After taking a shower to clean up with my daughter we went to the ship store and I bought her a Mini Mouse doll. We told the cashier what a bad day DD was having and she gave DD a Mini Mouse Pin to match her doll. We now have a token to remind us of our most memoriable day.

Best: my last cruise 2 summers ago with my boys (then aged 8 and 11 or so) on the Triumph. They had asked me for money to go to the gameroom and I gave them only so much early that first eveing. They later met me while I was shopping and asked me for more (??) Keep in mind...we are only talking 3-4 more dollars. I never thought too much about it... Late that night after we had seen a show at the theatre then called it a night...we headed back to our cabin. There laying on the desk was a flower wrapped in tissue paper with a note! (I thought it was an error) My precious boys had taken their $6 total or so and went and bought me a rose with a card that read "thanks for bringing us on a cruise mom..this is a blast...love __ and __!" I cried it was so sweet!! They never even played video games that night..they used all their money on a flower for mom :) Awwwee...darn it...get me another tissue...:)

Esmerelda

That's great! I hope my boys turn out as wonderful and thoughtful. So far so good ;) .

Our best cruise moment was meeting in person new friends from these boards on our last cruise. One family from the boards also lives close to us and we had the best time ever with these people and their friends who also cruised that week. We have kept in touch since they live a few miles away and our daughters like to play together. We hope to have many more great times with them. Our worst....... trying to plan another cruise together!!! Schedules, preferences, costs are all working against it happening again!!!!!

BEST: Swimming with the stingrays in GC (actually it was the BEST day of mylife)

WORST: When the pursers desk said that our three $500 mastercard giftcards could not be used because there was no name on them -even though they were from our bank....

I really have two best . . .

The first was our first cruise ever to Alaska last July for our 25th Wedding Anniversary with our good friends. Never cruised before and really cannot imagine going on vacation any other way now.

and . . . winning the $7500 Bingo Cover-all Jackpot on the last day to pay for my next cruise. Never would have gotten to go so soon again if that wouldn't have happened!

ALMOST worst time then it did turn into worst time..... Tampa cruise, my hubby is on the SWAT team and had a early morning call out the day we were to leave for the cruise, we live in Orlando so we were just going to drive down...... he called a few hours into the call out and said it was still going on, I said dude if you aren't home I am driving down and going on this cruise with or without you, and if you think you can make it then you come home get the other car and drive down too! I was dead serious I was sooooo livid! I will take all the luggage and the tickets and will wait to board the very last possible second......

ANYWAY he did get home in time for us to leave TOGETHER! Needless to say it took the whole 2 hour drive to Tampa for me to calm down! LOL

Then actually that cruise wasn't that great, the waiter was VERY rude he even asked us and another couple to leave so he could clean our table and go to the "worker party" 2 nights and what is soo bad there were tables on our way out 1/2 that were just getting their salads and room staff I swear didn't come to our room one whole day/night and I had to call the purser's desk...... The Matrie D the first night came over and not even asked but MOVED us and another couple to this huge table for no reason and then we looked at the table and he was bringing 4 people to our table.... hello we were 4 people!

Anyway bottom line worst cruise for professionalism ever, and I wrote to carnival to tell them so, not looking for anything but just wanted them to know..... they wrote back and gave us $$ off the next cruise and $$ on our next Sail and Sign.

My greatest cruise moment was on my first cruise, NCL Norway. My boyfriend took his son and me. On the last night, the ship had a "New Year's Eve" party on the Lido deck with a countdown at midnight. Shortly after that, while dancing under the stars to "My Girl", my boyfriend proposed to me. We spent our 5th anniversary on the same ship. We will be married 16 years next month.:p

Hmm, since I only got back from my first Cruise, Saturday, I'm thinking!

Best: Just walking onto the ship and being in awe. However, the best part of the cruise was me finally getting to do something i've always wanted to do--swim with sea lions! I also semi-conquered my fear of fish, while snorkeling in Belize. So, I think the cruise is special because of that.

Worst: Having to get off the ship and deal with the ignorant people at the Rental-car place, after arriving into port 9 hours later than we were supposed too.

The worst- I broke my foot in Aruba AND had sun poisoning on the Adventure of the Seas last May. Had to stay out of the sun!!! Imagine that on a cruise!! Then when I got home had to deal with the broken foot for two months....

But guess what...I still love cruising.

Wow! So many great stories. Esmeralda...you made me tear up.

Our worst moment was on the Carnivale, spring break 1991 (I think) when a large group of college kids at the next table stiffed our waiter. It just broke my heart to see him work so hard all weekend and have these rude, spoiled brats leave dinner the last night without so much as saying "Thank you". This was, thankfully, our only negative cruise experience.

We've had many wonderful moments, but for the most memorable we were only on-lookers! There was a young couple all dressed for formal night, having their pictures done. As the photographer stepped back, the young man dropped to one knee and pulled a ring box out of his pocket. Everyone watched, and cried, as he proposed and she accepted. The next day we saw the wonderful pictures the photographer captured of that special moment!

I've got 2 best:

1) My hubby and I were on our honeymoon on the Sapphire Princess in Alaska last year. We were leaving Juneau, and we had decided to go to the Lotus spa pool. We were the only ones in that area, and it just hit me at that moment how truly happy I was just sitting on a beautiful ship in a great pool with my new hubby, looking at gorgeous mountain and ocean scenery passing by. It was amazing.

2) Prior to my last cruise (Mex. Riviera), I had never snorkeled but have always been fascinated by marine life. I got brave and booked us on a snorkeling excursion in Cabo San Lucas this past March. The first time I stuck my head under the water and saw huge schools of fish, starfish, and whatever else, I was in awe! Snorkeling is now my new favorite "cruise hobby" and I do it at every port when possible.

The worst:

Hmmm, we haven't had anything terrible happen, but I guess the worst thing I can think of is when we disembarked in Los Angeles after our Diamond cruise several hours late, only to find the car rental agency had closed (after they promised us on the phone they would wait for us since there was a delay). We, along with several other pax, were left standing on the curb with no car and no taxis in sight. We lucked out and shared a van ride with some others to the airport to get a rental car there. It was just a frustrating mess!

Remember the Tropicale? My cruise started off with a delay because of engine problems. (understandable) Then in the middle of the cruise we were going around in circles to test out the engines for some reason. Then our captain had a heart attack and had to be airlifted out. Our bathroom continually had some kind of fluid coming out of drain and the air conditioner had 2 settings...closed and room temperature air!!! I was also trying to get 2 friends hooked on cruising like I was. They have not been on a cruise since!!! We still laugh about it and we will never, ever forget that trip, but I like newer ships after that!!

Best...All of them. Even the Tropicale. Because nothing beats a week at sea getting away from EVERYTHING!!!

Remember the Tropicale? My cruise started off with a delay because of engine problems. (understandable) Then in the middle of the cruise we were going around in circles to test out the engines for some reason. Then our captain had a heart attack and had to be airlifted out. Our bathroom continually had some kind of fluid coming out of drain and the air conditioner had 2 settings...closed and room temperature air!!! I was also trying to get 2 friends hooked on cruising like I was. They have not been on a cruise since!!! We still laugh about it and we will never, ever forget that trip, but I like newer ships after that!!

Best...All of them. Even the Tropicale. Because nothing beats a week at sea getting away from EVERYTHING!!!

Your captain had a heart attack! Of all things to go wrong.I think that one takes the cake.:(

I had planned for over a year our first cruise which we took in April 2005. Many many hours were spent researching everything for our family group of 13, including my 3 teenage sons (this trip was my 17-year-old's Senior Year Spring Break Trip with his Mom!). I was exhausted by the time the big day came to embark. We finally got on to the ship and went to the Lido Deck. A live band was playing Caribbean music, the sun was shining and lunch was being served! I knew at that moment that I had ARRIVED and this was going to be a WONDERFUL week!

Wow, i didnt expect so many people to respond to my question, but thanx to all that did that was a true enjoyment reading everything and despite the bad thigns u guys r still Positive about cruising CONGRATS!!!! i guess it's tiem for me to share my stories, which arent really that great or that bad but i asked it so i should contribute lol........

we'll start with the worst....i'd say it would have to be when i went snorkeling at an island called St. John....it was the most beautiful beach and if i can remember right i think it's one of the top 10 beautiful Natural beaches in the world or sumthign on that hand....lol but yes it was GEORGOUS!!! anyway well it was my first attempt snorkeling and the life jackets we had we had to blow up through this little tube shaped thing that if u pushed down the button and blew in it that it woudl pump up.....well it also works the same way to release air u just push down the little button on the top....well i was swimming away looking at fish and taking pictures of coral and fun sea life....and my chin kept hitting this button on the top of the little tube and needless to say next i knew i was out of air...and i can swim, but i just panick if i know i cant touch the ground so i started panicking so i tried to blow back up my life jacket while swimming in place and i push down the button with my mouth and at that moment i got the biggest blast of salt watery air in my mouth and it was sooooo nasty i wanted to puke...lol but i didnt so then i was disgusted and swam over to the guy with the surf board monitoring us and he gave me a newlife jacket that waznt so touchy. As i took off the old life jacket to put the new one on this lady came paddelign over panicking and started grabbign onto me and pulling me under finally i peeled her off of me and had her hold on to the surf board...lol and i got my newer life jacket on and then i swam to the beach and walked on the beach for a while with my mom(not a big swimmer) but needless to say i ended up getting back out there and had the greatest time ever!!! Told ya it waznt sooo bad.....i loved everythigna bout my first cruise so i'm not gonna complain!!

BEST....well i'd have to say the anxiaty of seeing the boat for the first time and being in port canaveral and having to see the boat the whole time ur goign through security and paper work and stuff all i wanted to do was get on it and hope i didnt get sick during the trip!! Finally it came time to get ur beginnign picture before boarding and i had the biggest goosebumps ever full of excitement and joy thinking i was the luckiest person alive! Then we got on the boat had a drink and then it was time for the muster drill (HATE THAT CRAP) i hate having to hear stuff like this is the boat ur gonna be on when we sink or start on fire, not a way to start a great trip, but soon that was over and i got to Wave to all the Not-so-lucky ppl below us on the coast line wavign and screaming at us! and having a smile from ear to ear konwing this will just be the best vacation ever. I remember waving to the "LITTLE" boats below like the coast gaurds and all the other ones comign into port...It's the greatest feelign ever that no one understands until experiencign it for the first time and who knows i bet ever time it's that great but i wont know til Jan. if i will experience that GREAT feelign again!

I hope everyone has more stories for me and keeps them coming....and Safe sailing everyone enjoy life while it lasts and dont let a moment pass u by...u only live once so live life to ur fullest!!!!! thaz all i gotta say....

greatest moment--stepping into the ship ( i was upgraded from a oceanview on the riviera deck to the 7th deck with a balcony on my glacier bay cruise last week :D ). WOW.

worst moment--looking back at the ship as i walk down the gangway to leave. SO SAD. :(

Archived