Sun Princess without power in Tasman Sea

Hi

Live from the Sun Princess at 7.30am ships time (one hour ahead of Sydney). The Sun Princess is bobbing around in the Tasman Sea, and has been since before 5am. I dont know when we lost power, but when I woke at 5am it was down. The Captain has advised that the systems are gradually being restored and that we would be underway asap, though that was at his last report at 6am and we are still stationary.

Perhaps the ship does not want to end the World Cruise either...Steve:D

Hi

Live from the Sun Princess at 7.30am ships time (one hour ahead of Sydney). The Sun Princess is bobbing around in the Tasman Sea, and has been since before 5am. I dont know when we lost power, but when I woke at 5am it was down. The Captain has advised that the systems are gradually being restored and that we would be underway asap, though that was at his last report at 6am and we are still stationary.

Perhaps the ship does not want to end the World Cruise either...Steve:D

Just after I posted, we got underway again. Captain advised that the systems are gradually being restored, and that we would be back up to normal speed again. He said that he did not anticipate that our arrival in Sydney would be delayed.:)

I would like to add my thanks stevedonna.

I have done this World Cruise with you day by day vacariously!

Your info has been great and so enlightening that we are thinking of doing the second half of next years world cruise on Sea Princess from Dover back to Auckland.

Thanks again,

Kiwipete.

Yes I just got an E mail from my friends, Jim and Reiko on board re same, they said smoke was billowing out, blew a transformer. Also informed many other issues on the ship. I hope someone does a review!

sHi

did not see any smoke, it was pitch black at 5am.

Yes the transformer that coverts 6000 volts down to 440 volts blew a sausage. The very professional crew had it fixed a darn quicker than I thought they could.

Good thing about travelling on a ship, when you lose power - you just stop, not like when you lose power in a plane :D..much more my style of travelling.

Due in Sydney Wed morning, Captain says we will be on time.bugger:D

Thanks for the kind words

I will be doing a review when we get home. It will be posted on the blog ---http://stevedonnaworldcruise2012.blogspot.com.au/

sHi

Yes the transformer that coverts 6000 volts down to 440 volts blew a sausage. The very professional crew had it fixed a darn quicker than I thought they could.

Good thing about travelling on a ship, when you lose power - you just stop, not like when you lose power in a plane :D..much more my style of travelling.

I will be doing a review when we get home. It will be posted on the blog ---http://stevedonnaworldcruise2012.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks guys, smoke out of the vents on hull I hear. God speed to Steak and Kidney !

Princess are driving these older SUN Class ships far too hard .

Dawn had troubles last year, this year Sun on World Cruise. Sea Princess was found with a considearble maintenance deficit on April this year Trans Pacific cruise, but just shoved it straight onto an Alaskan season .

One would think that Princess would dock these boats for a week or so before a round the World cruise to get everything in top shape. But no drive the ships 24/7 through an Australian Summer, then to Japan and return, then straight into a 107 day round the world . No wonder things break down .

Its about time Princess sent some newer ships down to Australia. The Sun,Dawn and Sea are all looking tatty in many areas. They are always doing maintenance and shutting areas off to passengers which is very annoying. I am going to try some other cruiselines because Princess are making too many cost cutting measures - food has definitely gone downmarket and the entertainment not very good either. Don't think they are five star now. Shame because previously I could not fault them.

Its about time Princess sent some newer ships down to Australia. The Sun,Dawn and Sea are all looking tatty in many areas. They are always doing maintenance and shutting areas off to passengers which is very annoying. I am going to try some other cruiselines because Princess are making too many cost cutting measures - food has definitely gone downmarket and the entertainment not very good either. Don't think they are five star now. Shame because previously I could not fault them.

We got the 'Trifecta' because the Americans did not want them. We might get the Royal Princess in 20 years, heh, heh.

sHi

G'day from Neptune!

I'm interested in knowing who the Maitre D' is on Sun please. Do you know if he'll be staying onboard for the Australian Xmas/New year season? If not, are you able to ask who will be the MDH please? Any info posted here or on your review much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Neptune wishes you smooth seas & a ship that sails! :D

Yes with the SEA, SUN and DAWN all limping their way around our waters and afar it's time for more competition. These ships are old and well overdue for updating. Excluding DIAMOND.

I hope many Princess and P & O Aus fans do give Solstice, Millenium, Radiance, Rhapsody, Voyager, Volendam.... and I can't remember the names of others, a go. There's such a lot of competition cruising our way this season...... and that's good thing.

I am not knocking Princess, just their current ships that call Australia home. They're nowhere near the high standard of their other ships based elsewhere in the world.

Jill:)

G'day from Neptune!

I'm interested in knowing who the Maitre D' is on Sun please. Do you know if he'll be staying onboard for the Australian Xmas/New year season? If not, are you able to ask who will be the MDH please? Any info posted here or on your review much appreciated. Thank you in advance. Neptune wishes you smooth seas & a ship that sails! :D

Hi

Jean-Francois Ferat is the MD at present. Don't know long term placements, sorry. Steve

I've heard whispers from a pretty reliable source that there may be two newer Princess ships based in Australian waters in the next year or so. Not sure what they would do with the others (move them permanently to a Asia, or hand down to P&O Oz maybe?)...

I've heard whispers from a pretty reliable source that there may be two newer Princess ships based in Australian waters in the next year or so. Not sure what they would do with the others (move them permanently to a Asia, or hand down to P&O Oz maybe?)...

They would just hand them on.

There are huge and growing markets waiting to be tapped in Asia and South America.

There is also the massive growth of the middle class in India.

When Australia gets too expensive to operate in , and too expensive for tourists to visit , all they have to do is up anchor and away.

Archived