My Inexpensive Luggage Tag Holder Suggestion

Bought the holders at Walgreen's ( but they are $2. in CT!) and can't seem to find out where to print the passes. I could print out the Set Sail pass but I couldn't even sign up for electronic vs mailing of cruise docs. Am I just too early? My ship sails 11/2/12. Thanks for help!

Yes, it's too early. We just got our eDocs for 10/13 a couple of days ago.

I was at Walmart today and found these same travel toothbrush kits there for 97 cents. They were in the aisle with all the sample size things, not the regular toothbrush aisle.

I bought 7 of them and they are perfect!! I put the folded luggage tag in them so both sides are visible with the same information. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to trust the little loop thing that came on them, or make a hole for my stronger bands. I tried to pull the little loop hard to see if it would give, and it didn't break. Being a Type A, though, I'm sure I will end up securing it another way.

Thanks, Starry Eyes for the tip! Worked out great. :)

To those that made their own tags, thanks for posting pics! I love seeing what others come up with.

Edited by MrsToad

Yes, it's too early. We just got our eDocs for 10/13 a couple of days ago.

I was at Walmart today and found these same travel toothbrush kits there for 97 cents. They were in the aisle with all the sample size things, not the regular toothbrush aisle.

I bought 7 of them and they are perfect!! I put the folded luggage tag in them so both sides are visible with the same information. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to trust the little loop thing that came on them, or make a hole for my stronger bands. I tried to pull the little loop hard to see if it would give, and it didn't break. Being a Type A, though, I'm sure I will end up securing it another way.Thanks, Starry Eyes for the tip! Worked out great. :)

To those that made their own tags, thanks for posting pics! I love seeing what others come up with.

I am glad they seem to work so far. Please let me know if they work out OK on the ship. You will go before me, as my next cruise is in November. I am also inclined to add another hole and strap just to be safe.

I do hope the holders you are making yourself will be strong enough. What i like about the ones from favors by serendipity is the grommet. Have you seen the luggage handlers working? They are not very careful, they have a job to do, and do it quickly. I do suggest you put your information inside your suitcase as well, just in case your tags get torn off.

I do hope the holders you are making yourself will be strong enough. What i like about the ones from favors by serendipity is the grommet. Have you seen the luggage handlers working? They are not very careful' date=' they have a job to do, and do it quickly. I do suggest you put your information inside your suitcase as well, just in case your tags get torn off.[/quote']

The grommet would help. There is a grommet tool with my sewing supplies...popped one in no time. It went into the vinyl easier than I remember them going into fabric. I'll place grommets in the rest of my improvised tag holders. I had forgotten I have the tool; thanks for reminding me.

Just be careful with grommets and paper. They can pull out pretty easily if tugged.

I actually made hole punches through the laminate material and then tied a strong knot in ribbon that went through the punched hole. Worked very well and was very strong too.

That is the kit...well done, Mrs Toad. Once the toothbrush, paste, toothbrush cover and card stock are removed, the resealable bag is reasonably sturdy...it will certainly protect a printed tag from moisture and tears.

Thank you so much for posting this. While I have been unable to find anything similar in Australia we are spending 6 days in Hawaii prior to our upcoming cruise on Radiance so can hopefully find some in Walgreens in Waikiki. The toothbrush and tooth paste are an added bonus!

This is such a fantastic site isn't it? We have gained so much valuable information.

Just be careful with grommets and paper. They can pull out pretty easily if tugged.

I actually made hole punches through the laminate material and then tied a strong knot in ribbon that went through the punched hole. Worked very well and was very strong too.

The grommet is in the vinyl pouch, not the paper. I have lots of stuff, but I do not have a laminating machine. If I ever acquire one, I might try making tags. For now, I'll stick with paper tags placed in vinyl pouches.

Thank you so much for posting this. While I have been unable to find anything similar in Australia we are spending 6 days in Hawaii prior to our upcoming cruise on Radiance so can hopefully find some in Walgreens in Waikiki. The toothbrush and tooth paste are an added bonus!

This is such a fantastic site isn't it? We have gained so much valuable information.

Others have said Walmart and Target and Dollar stores carry them, too, usually in the sample/travel size section.

The grommet is in the vinyl pouch, not the paper. I have lots of stuff, but I do not have a laminating machine. If I ever acquire one, I might try making tags. For now, I'll stick with paper tags placed in vinyl pouches.

Others have said Walmart and Target and Dollar stores carry them, too, usually in the sample/travel size section.

Thank you once again, if I can't find them at Walgreens I will try Walmart.

What would really be nice is Royal to handout luggage tag holders that would fit the printout tags from home.One time cost long term solution:D

Hmmm....that would more than likely negate the savings of the cost-cutting measure of no longer sending out luggage tags!

Thanks for the warning. I will keep an eye on the zippers. presumably you were unzipping and zipping the pouch 2 or 3 times a day to retrieve the toothbrush. As a tag protector, I'd be zipping it once a trip. static cling might also keep the paper tag in the vinyl pouch. if not a staple or bit of tape is reasonable. I tend to double tag my luggage, so there is an extra measure of safety there, too.

you are onto something here, they never have broken early in our trips, will likely work well for you.

i'm kicking myself, never thought of using laminator:o. Amazon has them frequently on sale, i spent in area of $25 each last xmas season for myself and adult kids.

• 11 months later...
I purchased an item today at my local Walgreens that I hope will make a decent cruise luggage tag holder. For one dollar from the travel section, I got a zip top clear vinyl packet measuring about 2.25 by 8.5 inches...it looks like it will hold an RCI or NCL tag nicely. It has a little plastic hanger, but I will probably attach it with a cable tie.

Even better, for my dollar I also got a toothbrush, toothbrush cover and small tube of Crest! yes, that's right I bought the travel toothbrush kit just for the resealable packaging! Mine is "DR. Fresh Velocity travel kit." My cruise is a little too far away to print tags right now (no edocs yet).

Can somebody measure their printed tag and tell me the size? If the size is right, I will buy a few more...

I'm just curious on how the DR. Fresh Travel Kits ended up working out for tag holders? I saw this available at my local Walgreens yesterday.

• 5 months later...
Alternatively, you can do like I and just purchase some 6x3 or 7x4 vinyl ID badge holders. I purchased 9 of them on eBay for $5.99 + free shipping. Hope this tip helps someone! :)

2x7 or 2x8 vinyl bookmark sleeves from eBay work very well also without being as oversized as badge holders.

I too use the clear packing tape to seal mine; on BOTH SIDES.

Then I slip the tag over a luggage handle and bend the tag in half.

Instead of stapling the sides together, I go round and round with more packing tape.

Those puppies aren't going anywhere when I'm finished with them....

I print my tags on a medium-weight photo paper that is brilliant white.

• 5 months later...
I made this tag a while ago, but the information can be changed to duplicate the Black and White print out they provide today. I just laminated the tags although you could just use packing tape instead and then add a hole punch at the top of the tag!

I made one more recently, but can't find it in all my cruising stuff! LOL!

The luggage handlers really loved the size and convenience of seeing all the info quickly! My bags arrived early too. Hope this helps.....

P1000928.jpg

You can also seal your tags with your seal a meal machine if you can't laminate them. Worked well for us.