A little worried, but more excited!

Hi Everyone

My DH and i are booked to go on Rhapsody in November and it is the first time sailing on her. We booked a guarantee outside cabin and have just found out we have been given cabin 3000 at the very front of the ship on deck 3. We understood with a guarantee we could end up anywhere on the ship so we are not too worried but would just be interested in finding out if any anyone has had a bad experience with motions sickness due to being at the very front of the ship? Luckily neither of us has got any motion sickness on any of the other three cruises we have been on but i must admit they have been in the middle of the ship.

I am sure it will be fine. Its a cruise! and we are so just so excited and cant wait to get on and have some fun!!!

Thankyou

Different ship ,we were on Navigater for our first cruise in cabin 7502 , that was an ocean view right at the front overlooking the helipad,we loved it , there was some motion but it was nice gentle motion and I had the best nights sleeps ever .I dont know if being higher up than you makes any difference but I do suffer from certain forms of motion sickness , I am ok on car journeys and flights but cannot do certain funfair rides ,I am sure you will be fine , I am not certain of this but I think you can go back into the guarantee pool if you are not happy with the cabin choice you have been given ,I am sure someone will be along to post to confirm if this is correct .

Linda .

I rang them and they told me i wasn't allowed to change cabins as i had a guarantee booking and it is just about sold out.

So its all good,

Thanks for your responses

You can change cabins as long as its in the same category as the guarantee assignment.

Check online and see what cabins are available in the category of your guarantee for your sailing. if there is a specific room that you would prefer, call and ask if you can be switched to that cabin.

Hi Everyone

My DH and i are booked to go on Rhapsody in November and it is the first time sailing on her. We booked a guarantee outside cabin and have just found out we have been given cabin 3000 at the very front of the ship on deck 3. We understood with a guarantee we could end up anywhere on the ship so we are not too worried but would just be interested in finding out if any anyone has had a bad experience with motions sickness due to being at the very front of the ship? Luckily neither of us has got any motion sickness on any of the other three cruises we have been on but i must admit they have been in the middle of the ship.

I am sure it will be fine. Its a cruise! and we are so just so excited and cant wait to get on and have some fun!!!

Thankyou

If you normally don't get sea sick you will probably be fine. I get very sea sick, can't even sit in a rocking chair, and being at the front or back of the shp doesn't seem that different to me. If the seas are really rough you may notice more movement. If you feel sea sick at all, the best thing is to not get over hungry, not usually a problem on a cruise ship! :D Personally I use Sea Bands and they work great for me.

You can change cabins. Call back again and speak to someone else.

Cabin 3000 on Rhapsody is category F. Look and see if there is another category F cabin that you'd prefer. Then, call and ask to switch your cabin to that one, without mentioning anything about the guarantee.

Although I've never been on a Vision class ship, someone posted a review a short while ago about those outside cabins in the front stating that they are his/her preference because they are a bit larger than others in that category, and have an area in the corner that was good for extra storage.

I think you will be just fine in a forward or aft cabin, but just understand why people suggest midship cabins, as in the case with this Carnival ship.

Trust me, this is extreme and rare, and I am NOT meaning to scare you, just educate:

29179d1236113641-caution-rough-seas-ahead-picture1-jpg

Queen Victoria, and she is also just a cruise ship too:

QE2+rough+sea+003.jpg

QE2 tackles the north Atlantic with great aplomb:

r1ed5.jpg

These cruise ships are not ocean liners, and when they cannot escape the rough stuff, things will get wild. Heck, I've had wild on QE2 and QM2, but you would not want to be in those conditions on a cruise ship!

Been in a front cabin once before on Arcadia, not the best place to be, especially in a Force 8 in Biscay, try to change if you can

Well, Rich, I think that Carnival ship got stuck in force 8 also. :eek: I've been in force 12 on QE2 and QM2 (not too bad), but those conditions will take a large cruise ship and turn it inside out!

I think the cruise ships try to avoid anything over force six, as they do not have the hulls / bow to handle it well.

It depends on what time of year and where you cruise.

Hi Everyone

Thankyou

I bet you wish you never asked! I wish you never asked!:(

We were on the fourth cabin from the front on the Westerdam last November. I am quite prone to motion sickness - I was once done in by a porch swing! We were a little concerned about being so far forward, but we were fine. I took my Bonine, husband and sons needed nothing. We had rough seas for 2 of the days but we had no problems.

Hope you have a great trip.

We were in a cabin, on our first real cruiseship, that was so forward it only had a porthole. I think it was 3rd cabin from the forward point of the ship....so forward the hallways to our cabin were actually bowed. :D We didn't feel much movement at all, so I think you will be fine. BTW that cabin was an upgrade from an inside cabin, and we were grateful we had a 15'' circle to peek outside.

Well, Rich, I think that Carnival ship got stuck in force 8 also. :eek: I've been in force 12 on QE2 and QM2 (not too bad), but those conditions will take a large cruise ship and turn it inside out!

I think the cruise ships try to avoid anything over force six, as they do not have the hulls / bow to handle it well.

It depends on what time of year and where you cruise.

Arcadia seems to roll and pitch anyway, probably the least stable ship we have ever sailed on, oddly enough we just came back last week on Aurora and again we were hit by Force 7 gusting to 8, in Biscay again, the difference in stability was staggering, yes it moved a bit, but seemed to take it in its stride

Archived