Mariner of the Seas, Western Med Journal Aug 25th - Sept 1st 2012 - Very Long!

peteukmcr

Did they show movies on the outdoor screen ? On our first Liberty cruise they didn't really utilise it but a few months later when we went back on Liberty they were showing movies throughout the day which was quite nice .

Linda .

A lot of movies were shown on the screen over the pool, I've checked the compasses and there were 2 movies at 8 and 11 pm on the first 3 days, only 1 on day 4 at 9 pm and on day 5 at 8 pm, and back to 2 on days 6 and 7 at 8 and 11 pm.

On day 4 there was a Grease 'sing a long' at 6 pm too.

During the day there were lots of music videos, but no movies were shown during the daytime perhaps because on a very port intensive cruise a lot of guests are off the ship during the day.

Hi Pete,

Lovely pictures...thanks so much for posting and reviewing your cruise.

I see that you were on the Liberty in May. We are looking to do the Liberty next year along with a cruise to Alaska. Would you recommend the weather at the end of May for the med? Or should we do September?

Thanks so much and looking forward to more pics.

May has been OK, not too hot for port visits, but always a chance of rain. I can't speak for September, sorry.

A lot of movies were shown on the screen over the pool, I've checked the compasses and there were 2 movies at 8 and 11 pm on the first 3 days, only 1 on day 4 at 9 pm and on day 5 at 8 pm, and back to 2 on days 6 and 7 at 8 and 11 pm.

On day 4 there was a Grease 'sing a long' at 6 pm too.

During the day there were lots of music videos, but no movies were shown during the daytime perhaps because on a very port intensive cruise a lot of guests are off the ship during the day.

Thanks Pete , we often stay onboard when the ship docks so it will be nice to listen / watch some music videos while sunbathing , good to know that they inform you of the movies on the compass .

Linda .

I've just been reminded of another European / Mediterranean nationality trait that may be a bit of a surprise if you are not used to it.

There are a great many men who wear Speedos when at the pool, many of which should know better! So if you are of a delicate disposition, beware, you may need to avert your eyes on more than one occasion!:D

Peter....As usual....another GREAT REVEIW! Bill and I are excited about the TA on the Mariner OTS on Nov 2. Can you tell me since we are D+....is the lounge the same for both D and D+ and are they both in the Crown? Wierd ??? Did you get to see or do they make mention of the Concordia Ship as you pass on the first night? Are there lights and such to tell you where it is? Are both the Upcharge resturants worth booking? We loved Giovanni's on the Oasis...but they had the outdoor experience...probably not on the Mariner? Hope to sail with you guys again in the future! :)

Thanks

Mike

Peter....As usual....another GREAT REVEIW! Bill and I are excited about the TA on the Mariner OTS on Nov 2. Can you tell me since we are D+....is the lounge the same for both D and D+ and are they both in the Crown? Wierd ??? Did you get to see or do they make mention of the Concordia Ship as you pass on the first night? Are there lights and such to tell you where it is? Are both the Upcharge resturants worth booking? We loved Giovanni's on the Oasis...but they had the outdoor experience...probably not on the Mariner? Hope to sail with you guys again in the future! :)

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, I warned Marion that you were sailing on the TA! :D

Only one Diamond Lounge but it is the same for both D & D+ and it's in the same place in the Viking Crown as the DL is on Liberty. It has an outdoor seating area too.

Most probably won't be used on your TA if the numbers of C&A members is anything like it was on the Liberty TA.

No mention of Concordia and didn't think to look to be honest.

As for specialities, yes IMHO well worth it. The guy who seemed to be in charge in Giovanni's (can't remember his name, will have to ask Patrick) was fantastic. No, there is no outdoor seating on Mariner at either Giovanni's or Chops.

I think the service in Chops was great too, as was the service all over the ship compared to Liberty.

You are going to have a great time on Mariner.

Great review, was any mention made of the new menus in the MDR and when they might be rolled out on her? We are sailing on the TA in November and hoping they will be done by then.
No, sorry no mention and if there were to be rolled out soon I'm sure the Diamond Concierge would have mentioned it, but I forgot to ask.

Pete this is a long shot but here goes , we have never done a speciality restaurant and would like to give one a go this time , there are what I would call two " weak " nights in the MDR , one is the night they do lamb shank ( neither of us like that ) and I can't remember what the other one was , have you any idea what night lamb shank night would be , if I know in advance i can book one of the restaurants that night .I know you highly recommend Giovannis , dh does not do " pasta " although he does enjoy a good steak so I may talk him into that one :D.

Linda .

Peter,

Excellent review and great photos! I am glad you and Patrick enjoyed your trip. Hope to sail with you again soon, over on this side of the pond!

Greg

Thanks Greg, we're due on Allure next May, so other than a Vegas trip in March that's the only time we'll be over to the US in the near future.

Hello Pete,

Thank you for the wonderful review. I love the pictures, lets us see the cruise through your eyes.

Bill

Thank you for the compliment, I'm still putting the final touches to a full photo slide show, so it'll be here soon.

Pete this is a long shot but here goes , we have never done a speciality restaurant and would like to give one a go this time , there are what I would call two " weak " nights in the MDR , one is the night they do lamb shank ( neither of us like that ) and I can't remember what the other one was , have you any idea what night lamb shank night would be , if I know in advance i can book one of the restaurants that night .I know you highly recommend Giovannis , dh does not do " pasta " although he does enjoy a good steak so I may talk him into that one :D.

Linda .

Hi Linda, I can't honestly say which was lamb shank night, but don't remember it being any of the nights we ate in the MDR, which were Sat, Mon (but that was when we dined with the Captain so I didn't see the main menu), Tue & Thurs.

Giovanni's does an excellent filet mignon call 'Filetto de Manzo' or something like that. It was what they used to do in Portofino and is excellent.

Here's a link to a Giovanni's menu from Allure, but the only difference from memory is the last Veal dish which is different on Mariner.

http://www.beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-3.html

As you can see, the pasta courses are not 'main courses' but designed to be a 2nd course after the starters.

Desserts are presented on a trolley and include traditional tiramisu, and other small dishes, nothing to overbearing.

If you want to pay the extra $10 per person then the food in Chops isn't to be missed either.

This link shows the menu, again from Allure, but looks the same to me.

http://www.beyondships.com/RCI-ALOS-Menu-4.html

Thanks Pete.

Can you remember which nights were formal nights ?we definately won't miss those as they are usually good nights .

Thank you for taking the time to answer .

Linda .

Hi Linda, our formal nights were Mon (Cannes) and Thurs (Valencia). I know you are visiting Ajaccio in Corsica in place of Cannes, but I reckon they will be still Mon & Thurs as these are the 2 days where you have earlier departure times from port than the others. For formal nights, to give people time to get ready, they always seem to hold them on nights when you leave port early.

We too experienced Giovanni's the week before and the highly entertaining Amadeo is a great host. One thing to note, as the man himself explains, you can have as many of the dishes as you like, either served individually or "family style" with several portions put in the centre of the table. Hence if you go in with a hunger, you can certainly get your $20 worth !!

It was a great night and highly recommended :)

Hi Linda, our formal nights were Mon (Cannes) and Thurs (Valencia). I know you are visiting Ajaccio in Corsica in place of Cannes, but I reckon they will be still Mon & Thurs as these are the 2 days where you have earlier departure times from port than the others. For formal nights, to give people time to get ready, they always seem to hold them on nights when you leave port early.

Thank you Pete , you have been very helpful .

Linda .

Archived