DIY tours

shofer

My friend and I are booked for a land/cruise on Princess next May. I have seen mentions of the SuperSaver Alaska coupon books on this site and looked them up on the Internet. They seem like a really good deal.

My question is this: How do these tours compare with the ones from the ship besides price? Are they just as good? Is it difficult to join them when you are in Anchorage, Denali or Talkeneeta?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

The excursions are not run by the ship, but are contracted with local vendors. The cruiseline acts as a booking agent and takes a fee for doing this. Generally there are few if any differences between tours that you can find on your own and what the ship offers. On your own will be in smaller groups and generally cost less. You can book the same hotels that the cruiselines use. You can book the trains that the cruiselines use. Yes they have their own cars, but the engines and track belong to the Alaska RR. The cruiseline offers you the convenience of only having to go to one place to find things to do each day. Other than that there is little difference.

I am not certain what you are asking?? This is about mainland Alaska? the significant savings deals are with using purchased coupon books, which offer excellent options.

Be well aware of the limitations of going in May and be certain this offers you what you think it does. Overall the only choice going in this timeframe is a northbound trip, IF you are planning on Denali park.

I am not certain what you are asking?? This is about mainland Alaska? the significant savings deals are with using purchased coupon books, which offer excellent options.

Be well aware of the limitations of going in May and be certain this offers you what you think it does. Overall the only choice going in this timeframe is a northbound trip, IF you are planning on Denali park.

I have gone to Alaska previously in May and we had fabulous weather. We have a southbound cruise with the land tour first. Yes we are going to spend 2 days in Denali. Having already looked into the coupon books, we are going to purchase one when the 2013 ones go on sale.

Sue

I have gone to Alaska previously in May and we had fabulous weather. We have a southbound cruise with the land tour first. Yes we are going to spend 2 days in Denali. Having already looked into the coupon books, we are going to purchase one when the 2013 ones go on sale.

Sue

So you already know about the significant limitations of distance into Denali park, in May. For some, this would be important.

BQ is reminding you that shuttle buses and tour buses don't go all the way into the park until the 2nd week of June.

In May you would only be able to reach Toklat at Mile 53. Eielson is available june 1. The dates are listed on the park web site:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

They cruise 5/20, so the shuttle buses won't even be running. Far as they are likely going to get is Teklanika, just 30 miles.

OP: Am I correct that you are going on a cruisetour and you are asking if you would be able to use the coupons in the towns your cruisetour is visiting?

No, I was wondering if they are a better value than the cruiseline tours.

Sue

BQ is reminding you that shuttle buses and tour buses don't go all the way into the park until the 2nd week of June.

In May you would only be able to reach Toklat at Mile 53. Eielson is available june 1. The dates are listed on the park web site:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Well, this is a revolting development! Never gave it a thought that we would be restricted from the park due to the calendar. Well we are booked already so will have to make the best of what we can see and do.

Guess we will have to make another trip a few years hence.

Sue

Well, this is a revolting development! Never gave it a thought that we would be restricted from the park due to the calendar. Well we are booked already so will have to make the best of what we can see and do.

Guess we will have to make another trip a few years hence.

Sue

The dates of operation are pretty constant from year to year. It's due to SNOW on the park road. It takes the crew until late May to remove all the snow and do road repair & maintenance.

The road has had 2 brief closures in the past few days due to snow !

That's one of the dangers of booking the early cruises. Some activities don't open until late May or they may not be accessible due to snow or slush.

Archived