5/23/12 1st time X/cruise, med. engagement, Paris; oh my! Solstice Med. Trip Report

CruisingGatorGirl

Alwayshappytocruise,

I just checked my e-mail and noticed you edited your original comment. Why take out the positive parts in the original without giving me a chance to respond? :( Maybe I am sensitive but I found that to be rude. I have priorities that come in life before CC. I just did an update, hope you enjoy,

Ashley :)

Ashley, this must have been the nasty lady that moved your things from one table to another... You find a few on every cruise (and every board)!!!

I enjoy the anticipation of your posts and understand that your life is full of other responsibilities. Don't let the few "nasties" ruin your cruise of life.

Ashley, your review has been so much fun and so helpful!! I think this will be our next cruise and it has been so informative. I love waiting for the next post. I work during the week, so I usually only check on the weekends and I can't wait to get up on Saturdays and look for your posts.

Keep doing what you're doing! I'm loving every minute!

Carol

THANK YOU everyone for the kind words and support! I really appreciate it :D Glad to know some people enjoy the report. I read a lot of reports when planning my trip so if anyone has questions please ask away.

I will have another update tomorrow! Last day on the Solstice :( then I will start the Paris leg of the trip.

Thank you again, I love the CC members :)

What a great review. I've enjoyed reading through it all. Did you eat in the main dining room every night or did you do some of the specialty restaurants? (I might have missed this in all the posts)

No, just Bistro on 5 (if you count that) for lunch. We really enjoyed dinner in the MDR and we loved our waiter- we looked forward to seeing him every night. In the beginning we thought maybe of trying one later on but we were happy enough with the MDR. We are not the pickiest of eaters and thought the food was great! It was also nice having a table just for the family. :)

Wow!!! That is an amazing formal dress photo.

The sunset lilac is exactly the same colour as your dress!

I did not notice hat before! Thank you :) it is actually a bridesmaid dress. I wore 2 bridesmaid dresses on this trip :D

Alwayshappytocruise,

I just checked my e-mail and noticed you edited your original comment. Why take out the positive parts in the original without giving me a chance to respond? :( Maybe I am sensitive but I found that to be rude. I have priorities that come in life before CC. I just did an update, hope you enjoy,

Ashley :)

Once again, never mind...........

Edited by alwayshappytocruise

Post# 18: Sold, to the Gentleman in the Back! (part 1 of 3)

06/03/2012, Sunday, Last Sea Day

Woke up at 7:30 and headed to the gym, last workout on the ship. I will miss the amazing views form the gym. No gym at home has these views!

8106847900_2a1ff45a03.jpg

I slowly walked around the quiet ship after the gym, taking it all in… again. I tend to do that a lot, just walk around enjoying every little inch of effort and thought put into making such a beautiful ship. There is calmness about the ship in the mornings that I enjoy. Feels like you have such a special place all to yourself. I took some pictures of the quiet ship.

8106416090_9c0d68f5c5.jpg

8106410762_ddb8024ba8.jpg

8106423710_5c5702c8d9.jpg

8106394011_d28c08803e.jpg

People already grabbing chairs:

8106400384_6595d7432f.jpg

Post# 18: Sold, to the Gentleman in the Back! (part 2 of 3)

Tyler and I ate at the buffet for breakfast. Going to miss this view. We walked around the shops after breakfast. We bought some of the sale items such as watches, cozies, key-chains, etc. for gifts. Are funds are limited so we were glad we waited until the last day to buy some Solstice souvenirs. I got my mom and I matching anchor key-chains. We got my dad a Lawn Club key-chain for their golf cart. We gave the gifts at dinner and a thank you card. We will never be able to repay them for this amazing trip. As cheap as the gifts were, they were please and my mom even teared up at the card.

8106432522_b97813a3ac.jpg

We made our way to the pool around 11, not a single chair ANYWHERE! Even up top you could not find a single chair. Errr, Tyler was not happy. We came across our French friend we made earlier in the trip and she said we could use her chairs while they went to the buffet. That was nice of her, so we enjoyed the pool for a little bit.

Please read this story, as it is a huge highlight for my family: Next up was something we have been ANTICIPATING since around day 4, take a guess…. Still thinking? Today is the Hot Glass Show Auction at noon! This was not to be missed, as you know we were groupies and all. Tyler and I discussed our “limit” and we said $20! Ha we knew that would not be CLOSE to enough. We made our way up to catch the auction…

8106467531_15184f8ca5.jpg

We walk up and surprise, my parents are there? Huh? What are they doing here? The whole family is here, even Brandon? My mom was seated with my dad and Brandon standing behind her in the back. She told me to sit next to her and she whispered in my ear what our limit was, I told her $20 and she laughed. She said they just came to watch since we had hyped up the Hot Glass Show so much.

My dad leaned over and asked me if I had a favorite. There were a couple I liked, one would be too big probably to pack, so Tyler and I had 2 others we liked a lot. The Hot Glass Girls explained each item up for bid and walked around so all could see them close up. **Esperanza** was the one hosting the auction.

They start the bidding at $100! Ha, Tyler and I started laughing we were out (which we knew we would be). I head the bidding start and a mans voice from behind keeps bidding, and bidding, and bidding? I look at mom and say “is that Dad? What is he doing!!!” “That is TOO much” my mom says “Your father wants to get this for you and Tyler” instantly TEARS start streaming from my face (and they are now again) I could not believe my parents would buy such a nice, memorable gift… well not yet. The bidding keeps getting higher and higher, I turn around and give my dad a confused look and he just looks at me with a smile. I know there is no stopping him, the man is on a mission!

There is a full on bidding war now with one other lady, higher and higher it goes until I hear ** Esperanza** Say “SOLD to the gentleman in the back!” We all stand up and hug as happy tears stream from all our faces. Whew, what an emotional high!

Our piece my parents bought us, we actually caught the show this one was made at! (they only auction off pieces made on your cruise)

8106462457_47a8592dde.jpg

Auctions not over yet! The fourth piece comes around and my dad starts at it AGAIN! He got into another bidding war but would not go past his limit again, he was close but stuck to his guns. SO we left with one, amazing piece. After the auction we got to meet the maker of ours, Helen (who was our favorite the whole trip!), and we got to meet **Esperanza** again take pictures. We chatted with her for a while, she has only been cruise director for 5 months. What a memorable experience. I cannot think of a better gift from this trip (well something on my left finger perhaps). My parents did not tell me this at the time, but after Tyler proposed they said they planned on this being an engagement gift too. Just so you know, when you win an item they charged it to our room and packaged it for us in lots of bubble wrap. We still had Paris to get it home safely. We literally carried it on all the planes with us and it made it home safely and is sitting on my mantle. Just so you know, the highest bid on record was $4,750!

8106467808_59700bfb43.jpg

8106462420_6938f4e057.jpg

Pictured below: With **Esperanza** after the auction. she has a crazy face in every picture, this was the best picture I have.

8106425455_dd03750743.jpg

Post# 18: Sold, to the Gentleman in the Back! (part 3 of 3)

I had one more thing I had to accomplish before departing ship, the Lawn Club Store! The store is only open for limited hours on sea days. I had my eye on a pink t-shirt all week. We got there about 5-10 minutes after the store opened and it was filled with about 20-30 Asians… in that little store! They were buying the place out!!! I got panicky for a minute. My pink shirt was all sold out!!! I was devastated; I wanted that shirt so badly. I had to settle for a light gray shirt, it will do but I really wanted the pink one.

Tyler and I being the sentimental junkies, ate our “final” lunch where we had our first lunch… Bistro on 5 and sat at the same exact table with the same waiter. The brownie we had there was delicious! The picture I have from there is really bad so no picture. We went to the pool just to soak up a little more sun, the last sun we would have on the Solstice.

We had a family Paris meeting/ice-cream social today in the buffet at 3:00. We sat at the big round table in the back corner. I brought my folder and Paris maps. I spread the map out and handed out the Paris “packets.” I explained to my parents the schedule for Paris, went over phrases again, transportation, etc. It was fun; I like playing coordinator/guide/teacher.

Some other things I noted about the ship in my journal on this day. The ship is VERY clean, people constantly cleaning. Especially the places people touch a lot, i.e. handrails.

We saved our sparkling wine for the last day. We took a break from packing to enjoy them on the balcony with some room service. Hard not to be sad. What an amazing trip, but we still have Paris ahead! I wrote in my journal from the balcony “I hope to sail the Solstice again one day… maybe the Greek itinerary.”

8106443869_1b034ec0cc.jpg

Before dinner the Hot Glass Show girls did a meet and greet. We met them, got business cards, and took pictures. They had laptops so we could see more of their work and techniques they are creating. Next we watched part of the variety show, it was so-so. The highlight was when the juggler brought his son out and they did an act together.

8106436599_8473133d18.jpg

Look at this storm front that rolled up just before dinner (ended up just being light rain for a couple minutes):

8106889389_0a843d641c.jpg

Tonight will be our last dinner at our lovely table number 145 in the corner by the window. The chocolate lava cake was amazing; we ordered a couple. And we asked for more banana sorbet, which they kindly brought us even though it was not on the menu that night. Tyler himself has 2 servings of lava cake and was put into a food coma as a result. As I stated above, we gave my parents our gifts tonight. Hard to compare our gifts to the glass vase we received from them.

8106431341_a66a677dd0.jpg

The seas picked up a tiny bit this night, the only other night we felt the sea was the first night, how fitting. We begrudgingly made our way back to our cabins and said goodnight one last time on the Solstice.

One last time, Ciao Ciao Solstice...

Next up, some last minute info to add and Paris!

I've really enjoyed your review--you and Tyler are darling;)...I was on the June 22nd sailing of the RCI Serenade of the Seas out of Barcelona with some of the same ports and loved it! Celebrity though does seem a notch above in alot of ways--but we loved it!! We will be sailing our first Celebrity cruise June 2013 out of Venice so I am loving your review and the details regarding the ship.

I can't wait to hear more....but, I do realize family and school does take preference...:p

Cheryl

How wonderful it is to have parents like yours!

Seriously I think we need to take a collection to send you on a cruise every year. Your stories are factual, interesting and so heartfelt that I actually cried at the auction bit with your father. Writing to get the human portion across like this is a gift and obviously your forte.

Thanks for your hard work in spending all your valuable time writing the story of your vacation.......... can't wait for Paris and hope to get full details of what all five of you thought about this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

By the way, do you hire out for planning excursions etc and where do we sign up? :D

In this "need information now" age, I am rather enjoying your story in installments! I look forward to each new post. When you are finally finished with your story, It will feel alot like finishing a cruise......something I don't mind postponing.

Thank you for the great story and photos!!!:)

I did not notice hat before! Thank you :) it is actually a bridesmaid dress. I wore 2 bridesmaid dresses on this trip :D

Hi Ashley,

Did you use a garment bag for your gowns? If so, was it carry on or checked baggage? Just curious. DH thinks I can squish my dresses into my suitcase:rolleyes:

Mo

Hi Ashley,

My husband and I have been wanting to do this itinerary for awhile. We have already booked something for next year but your review has made us decide to book this itinerary for 2014! Can't wait for the engagement post! We went to Paris in 2011 and I can't imagine a better end to a trip on the Solstice!

How wonderful it is to have parents like yours!

Seriously I think we need to take a collection to send you on a cruise every year. Your stories are factual, interesting and so heartfelt that I actually cried at the auction bit with your father. Writing to get the human portion across like this is a gift and obviously your forte.

Thanks for your hard work in spending all your valuable time writing the story of your vacation.......... can't wait for Paris and hope to get full details of what all five of you thought about this once-in-a-lifetime experience.

By the way, do you hire out for planning excursions etc and where do we sign up? :D

HAHA thank you! That is really nice and such a compliment. I am definitely "A" OKAY with that ;) Maybe I can get X to have me as a blogger or something :D

Hi Ashley,

Did you use a garment bag for your gowns? If so, was it carry on or checked baggage? Just curious. DH thinks I can squish my dresses into my suitcase:rolleyes:

Mo

Yes we did have a garment bag. However it was shared between my fiance and I. I put 2 of my 3 LONG dresses in the garment bag. The blue beaded dress and gray bridesmaid dress both were in the garment bag. The long black one and everything else was in the suitcase.

Tyler used the garment bag as his carry on (in addition to a backpack). The back pack was the "personal item" and the garment bag was the carry-on. We each checked one suitcase.

I used a backpack also and had a small rolling suitcase that I was able to fit all my shoes (13 pairs!), electronics (blow dryer, straighter, etc), and belts.

We packed very smartly and I spent a lot of time researching how to pack... go figure. Since I put all my shoes and electronics in carry-on bags my suitcase was actually under weight by quite a bit and had a lot of room left (i had the biggest size suitcase allowed).

Hi Ashley,

My husband and I have been wanting to do this itinerary for awhile. We have already booked something for next year but your review has made us decide to book this itinerary for 2014! Can't wait for the engagement post! We went to Paris in 2011 and I can't imagine a better end to a trip on the Solstice!

Awesome!!! We want to go back in 2014 too, maybe we will see you :D

don't know him but I like him. The dinner table pic reveals he is a 'Bud' kinda guy. Looking forward to Paris...:)

ha! That is the ONLY beer he will drink... well he did have Heineken in Paris because we could not find Budwesier.

Yes we did have a garment bag. However it was shared between my fiance and I. I put 2 of my 3 LONG dresses in the garment bag. The blue beaded dress and gray bridesmaid dress both were in the garment bag. The long black one and everything else was in the suitcase.

Tyler used the garment bag as his carry on (in addition to a backpack). The back pack was the "personal item" and the garment bag was the carry-on. We each checked one suitcase.

I used a backpack also and had a small rolling suitcase that I was able to fit all my shoes (13 pairs!), electronics (blow dryer, straighter, etc), and belts.

We packed very smartly and I spent a lot of time researching how to pack... go figure. Since I put all my shoes and electronics in carry-on bags my suitcase was actually under weight by quite a bit and had a lot of room left (i had the biggest size suitcase allowed).

Wow Ashley!!! You so have to have your own blog on these kinds of things. I'll make sure DH reads this tonight just so he can see that it can be done!!! Can you suggest any sites for packing tips that you used for research? We leave on a Solstice cruise from Singapore to Sydney on November 23 so I'm starting to get really antsy about packing!:eek: I'm usually a "night before packer" but not this time.

Mo

Wow Ashley!!! You so have to have your own blog on these kinds of things. I'll make sure DH reads this tonight just so he can see that it can be done!!! Can you suggest any sites for packing tips that you used for research? We leave on a Solstice cruise from Singapore to Sydney on November 23 so I'm starting to get really antsy about packing!:eek: I'm usually a "night before packer" but not this time.

Mo

Oh yes, it can be done! I just googled around, no particular site. These are some of the tips I remember: put socks (and other small things) in shoes, wrap belts around the perimeter of suitcase (instead of rolling up), packed underwear inside hat, wore bulkiest stuff on plane (wedges and jacket for me), side-note I even had a pair of knee-high boots packed :D, i put my heaviest stuff in carry on bags like I said above, I think I took a picture of my suitcase, I will keep looking to see if I did.

Also I started laying stuff out in the spare bedroom a month ahead of time. I would just move stuff to that room as I came across items and knew I did not need them between now and cruise. That way you have time to look and ponder at your items to see if you really need them. I was able to eliminate things this way instead of being rushed. I also took almost an entire day to plan outfits to see what pieces would get me the most use. I ended up trying to stick within color themes, although I kinda veered away from that ;) I will try to think of some more

It was a group effort for us. If someone had room in their bag and someone else was overweight we just moved items around... the airport shuffle. We did weigh our bags at home but our scale was off from the airport. I think also I was under weight because my stuff is smaller than Tyler's. Think about jeans, I am 5'3 and a size 2 he is 6'3 210 pounds. I could get away with more stuff packed :rolleyes:

One more thing, they do not weigh the garment bag, we had that thing stuffed!!!! They did not weight my back pack either, that was stuffed to. So pack heavy things in carry on. I will look for pics now