Capri

Justness

Hi

Sorry if I'm repeating questions, I did do a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm going on my cruise this sunday and we are in Naples on Tuesday.

I plan to see Capri. I want to go to the Blue Grotto and do the chair lift. These are the main parts I want to see.

I will by getting a hydrofoil to Capri when we dock. Is it possible to do Blue Grotto directly from Marina Grande? Also when we are finished, where will it leave us and how will I make my way to do the chair lift?

What time should we leave Capri to make our ship, it is docked until 7pm.

Many Thanks

Your boat from Naples will land at Marina Grande on Capri, in the same marina you'll find tour boat operators running trips out to the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra). The entire trip is less than an hour and will return you back to Marina Grande.

From there you can either take the funiculare up to Capri town, where you can get a bus or taxi to Anacapri, or you can take a bus or taxi directly from Marina Grande to Anacapri.

If your ship is departing at 7 your back-on-board time is probably 6:30. Since the crossing takes just under an hour, so you'd want to be on a boat no later than 5:30, but I'd aim for 5 PM to give myself some cushion.

To play this out, if you take the 8:05 boat you'll be at Marina Grande by 9 AM. If you go directly to the Blue Grotto you'll be back at Marina Grande around 10 AM. That gives you plenty of time - five hours - before you need to be back for the return to Naples.

Thanks a million for quick replies

I've been reading this site for the last couple of months but its only today and tomorrow that I'm actually starting to "plan" our port days :o

I may be on for more questions on the other ports!

Thank you

J

To play this out, if you take the 8:05 boat you'll be at Marina Grande by 9 AM. If you go directly to the Blue Grotto you'll be back at Marina Grande around 10 AM. That gives you plenty of time - five hours - before you need to be back for the return to Naples.

LOL - I edited my spelling mistake but not the math. Obviously you'd have seven hours.

We will be docked at Naples port 8am to 7pm.

Is there enough time to travel to Capri by hydrofoil or ferry; take the Laser Capri one hour boat trip around Capri---no Grotto stop; return to Naples; take a bus, train, or taxi to Pompeii---explore for two hours; return to Naples port.

Is there enough time to travel to Capri by hydrofoil or ferry; take the Laser Capri one hour boat trip around Capri---no Grotto stop; return to Naples; take a bus, train, or taxi to Pompeii---explore for two hours; return to Naples port.

Guess its is possible except we would not recommend that kind of day. But let me understand. You want to spend 34 Euros pp (round trip to Capri) to simply go to Capri to take a boat ride....but not bother seeing Capri? Sounds like a terrible waste of resources but you can do that. If you caught a jetboat/hydrofoil around 8am you would be in Capri by 9...could catch a boat around the island and be back in Naples before noon. What we find personally interesting is that we have been to Capri 8 or 9 times and have never taken a boat all the way around the island (we have taken a boat part way to the Blue Grotto). To us, our favorite activity on Capri (besides lots of walking) is taking the chair lift from Anacapri up to the top of the mountain. The view is spectacular.

From Naples you can get to Pompeii either by using a local bus or the train.

Hank

yes, you could do this. of course capri is beautiful and the hydrofoil is not cheap.

imho if you want to see pompeii and beautiful scenery the amalfi coast tour with sorrento and pompeii should suffice.

Guess its is possible except we would not recommend that kind of day. But let me understand. You want to spend 34 Euros pp (round trip to Capri) to simply go to Capri to take a boat ride....but not bother seeing Capri? Sounds like a terrible waste of resources but you can do that. If you caught a jetboat/hydrofoil around 8am you would be in Capri by 9...could catch a boat around the island and be back in Naples before noon. What we find personally interesting is that we have been to Capri 8 or 9 times and have never taken a boat all the way around the island (we have taken a boat part way to the Blue Grotto). To us, our favorite activity on Capri (besides lots of walking) is taking the chair lift from Anacapri up to the top of the mountain. The view is spectacular.

From Naples you can get to Pompeii either by using a local bus or the train.

Hank

we took all forms of transport on capri...funicular...bus..and chairlift...no boat ride though as we didn't have enough time.

we are still talking about the bus ride!!:eek: fun fun fun

the chairlift! spectacular

the funicular....exciting

after being on a cruise we had no interest in a boat ride around the island and I have been inside the blue grotto...not really worth it imho

Since we're on the subject of Capri...

I'm intending to rent a scooter on Capri for the added flexibility and I see there's a road that drops down to the coast near where the blue grotto is located. I assume we could get someone to take us into the grotto from there? Is it cheaper than doing it from Marina Grande?

I'm intending to rent a scooter on Capri for the added flexibility and I see there's a road that drops down to the coast near where the blue grotto is located. I assume we could get someone to take us into the grotto from there? Is it cheaper than doing it from Marina Grande?

From Marina Grande you take a motor boat (13 Euro, + 4 Euro grotto entrance fee) then transfer to a rowboat.

From the Via Azzurra landing you take a rowboat the entire way (8,50 Euro, + 4 Euro grotto entrance fee).

From Marina Grande you take a motor boat (13 Euro, + 4 Euro grotto entrance fee) then transfer to a rowboat.

From the Via Azzurra landing you take a rowboat the entire way (8,50 Euro, + 4 Euro grotto entrance fee).

I see... Not much of a savings but good to know. Thanks!

This was posted in the Celebrity forum, it may be of help:

I thought new visitors to Naples would be interested in what my wife and I consider the best way to manage a visit to beautiful Capri. We have done the trip at least four times and feel we have fine tuned it to suit most tastes and mobilities.

1.There can be crowds at the ticket desk for the Capri ferry. Get there early. This summer there was an 0805 crossing so get there at around 0740 to board just before 8. Tickets were about 17 euros each return.You need to book the return ferry at the same time to ensure you get back on time. The 1440 suited us.

2. After the 50 min crossing walk along the port edge to the square at the port where taxis await. The bus is cheaper but there are lines, crowding and frustration. The taxi journey is also a pleasure and costs 22 euros for up to 4/5 people.You are heading for Anacapri!

3. The 10 minute taxi ride brings you to Anacapri village at the top of the island, spectacular views as you ascend. At the village there will be a sign for the chair lift literally around the corner which will take you on a journey you will never forget and your feet are only a few metres/feet from the ground most of the way. Not scary for adults or children.A delight, yes! 9 euros pp return.

A cable car seat for each passenger takes you gently to the highest point of the island. Views to die for, photos to be taken and somewhere to sit and buy a drink or snack.

4. When you descend on the chair lift to Anacapri village there are shops and cafes nearby but across the road are signs for Anacapri Antica and a traffic free footway takes you into the centre of the village, picturesque with more shops and cafes.

5. Return to the starting point where the taxi dropped you. Then walk across the road along another pathway and visit the house of Axel Munte with great gardens, history and views, you pay to go in.You can then either return to Capri Town (not the port)by taxi (22 euros the cab) or take the bus to the town for about 2 euros if not crowded. The bus is safe and the drivers skilled even if you have to stand. Be careful to take the bus to Capri Town!

6. Wait till the bus comes to the end of its route and walk left to Capri town centre. You will note the funicular station and you will need that later.

Wander along the main street down hill and people watch or shop.

7. After about 5 minutes walk you will notice an hotel with terrace called La Palma on your left. There are other places to eat but a table on this terrace is the perfect spot to relax and get a bite to eat, watch the world go by. Lunch is served from 1230 and a simple but delicious lunch can be bought for around 15 euros a head upwards.Service pleasant and not at all stuffy.English speaking.

8. After lunch there is more to see in Capri Town, narrow alleyways which end in serendipitous locations but you cannot get lost.

Aim to start heading back to the port via the funicular around 2 euros each at around 1400 to get the ferry back at 1440.

This was posted in the Celebrity forum, it may be of help:

Just an observation on this:

It is not necessary or even best to purchase your return tickets when you buy your ferry tickets to Capri, because that limits you to the times of one particular company. It's better to buy your return once you arrive on Capri where you can choose the best time from all the carriers.

We did what is described above by euro cruiser and things worked well for us on our one day visiting charming Capri, seeing the Blue Grotto, etc. It was a very interesting experience and charming location. Loved the shops!! Got lots of ceramic pieces that wonderfully grace our home as memories from our 1999 visit to Capri. Below are some of my visuals from being on Capri.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 102,165 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

On Capri, we are departing on a smaller boat to visit the famed Blue Grotto. It is a very charming island with much to see and do. The second picture shows the larger boats having people transferred to smaller ones to go inside the grotto.:

CapriDeparting.jpg

CapriSeeingBlueHole.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island:

CapriRock2.jpg

Here are more sights and sights on and around Capri:

CapriHarborMountains.jpg

CapriRoofMountainView.jpg

Archived