What Style Dress with a Tux

Either a gown or cocktail dress will do....although when hubby is wearing his tux, I almost always wear a long gown.....but there's no "rule" at all!!!

A long gown is no less comfortable than a short dress! An evening gown doesn't have to be huge and big... you don't need a 'ballgown"--taffeta and hoops!!!...any evening gown (think slinky, sexy!) will be more than adequate!!!!

I always wear tuxedos on formal nights. It's just a great change of pace. I enjoy the elegance. I would expect my spouse to wear a long evening dress if I am in a tuxedo. It may be just me, but I always assumed that there were expectations of dress for the different levels of tuxedo formality. For example, if your husband wore white tie and tails, you would wear a ball gown. Black tie tuxedo would imply a long formal gown. Semi-formal (a suit for a man) would mean a cocktail length dress for the woman. Now, dress expectations seem to be far less defined.

I really appreciate that my wife wears long formal dresses when I wear tuxedos. I know that neither are required on most formal nights, but I dress for her because she loves the elegance and style of the evening. Whatever you decide, enjoy each other's company on your "elegant" night. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

Take your husband shopping with you and try out a variety of dresses and see which one works for you.

My wife primarily wears long gowns on formal nights but the most important thing is to find the dress that you are most happy wearing.

Keith

Take your husband shopping with you and try out a variety of dresses and see which one works for you.

My wife primarily wears long gowns on formal nights but the most important thing is to find the dress that you are most happy wearing.

Keith

OMG, My DH would rather have a root canal than have to go dress shopping!!! :D I do see husbands going shopping with their wives and actually liking it. Then again, DH doesn't even want to shop for himself, so I guess it fits. :rolleyes:

I do agree with Keith. Find a dress that makes you feel happy and confident, no matter the length.

I am getting ready to unload some clothing to include some formals that I have purchased for past cruises. I want to cruise more and spend less time having fashion meltdowns, so I've decided to keep my black palazzo pants and two blouses, one that is a black with sparkles and the other that is lavender satin, along with my little black dress. I just don't think you can go wrong with basic black and all of these things I presently own are timeless. I just take a pashmina along, add a strand of simple pearls to my dress and it's all good. They pack well because they are knit and wrinkles pretty much don't happen. I know for me that black hides my body imperfections (and there are MANY!:p)...it's totally forgiving! Whatever you choose, be sure you love it! I'm getting ready to part with a dress I bought at Lord and Taylor I wore one time for 4 hours, all due to the stress of worrying how I was going to look during formal nights. Don't even want to talk about the money.:rolleyes:

I am getting ready to unload some clothing to include some formals that I have purchased for past cruises. I want to cruise more and spend less time having fashion meltdowns, so I've decided to keep my black palazzo pants and two blouses, one that is a black with sparkles and the other that is lavender satin, along with my little black dress. I just don't think you can go wrong with basic black and all of these things I presently own are timeless. I just take a pashmina along, add a strand of simple pearls to my dress and it's all good. They pack well because they are knit and wrinkles pretty much don't happen. I know for me that black hides my body imperfections (and there are MANY!:p)...it's totally forgiving! Whatever you choose, be sure you love it! I'm getting ready to part with a dress I bought at Lord and Taylor I wore one time for 4 hours, all due to the stress of worrying how I was going to look during formal nights. Don't even want to talk about the money.:rolleyes:

Sharon, if you want to "donate" those formal dresses, check out the first sticky in this topic. I'm with you though, black palazzo pants and sparkly tops.

Sharon, if you want to "donate" those formal dresses, check out the first sticky in this topic. I'm with you though, black palazzo pants and sparkly tops.

Hey Amy....I'm SERIOUSLY working it! I keep looking at what I've sunk money into in just the past two cruises, all in the name of fashion....seriously, black really does work! :)

OMG, My DH would rather have a root canal than have to go dress shopping!!! :D I do see husbands going shopping with their wives and actually liking it. Then again, DH doesn't even want to shop for himself, so I guess it fits. :rolleyes:

I do agree with Keith. Find a dress that makes you feel happy and confident, no matter the length.

I guess I am very lucky to have a husband who would love to go shopping with me. Not only that, he carry my handbag for me when I am tired.

I also agree with Keith. Find a dress that fit best for your body tyle, and wear it with confident. When I walk out the door. I stand up straight, head held high, look straight, and walk like a model. My husband love it :D!

Have a great day.

M

Hi -- I always wore long formal dresses whenever DH wore his tux, but my newest dress is ballerina-length, but very formal, with beading on the top. My last dress (before losing 50 pounds!) was long, triple layers with chiffon and an underskirt of taffeta -- it cost $75 to have it shortened. All floor-length gowns have to be shortened for me, so the ballerina length (almost ankle length on me) are cheaper -- I can buy more:D. If the dress is very formal in look, the ankle or ballerina length will seem formal enough, I hope.

Margee

I don't know if you have ever shopped for formals or cocktail dresses with your husband, but some of us enjoy it! I actually enjoy shopping for cruise clothes with my wife more than she does. In the store she has a hard time making up her mind. She seems to feel that all of the clothes look bad on her. I don't necessarily tell her what to buy, but I give her my opinion as to which ones I like more than others. She worries so much that she is buying the wrong thing, so don't fell like you are alone there. This is a woman who is 5'10" tall, slender and plantinum blonde. So.... I guess everyone is self-conscious. I hope you can find something that makes you feel like the elegant person that I'm sure you are. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

For years, when DH wore his tuxedo, I wore long dresses and we both enjoyed it.

As society got more casual and fewer really dress formal on HAL these days, I started wearing LBD's and cocktails dresses while DH still wore his tuxedo. I felt fine dressed in well cut, nice little black dresses.

We are now at the point, we no longer bring DH's tuxedo and he wears a dark suit on formal nights and I wear cocktail dresses with small evening purses, bling and appropriate heels/shoes. :)

It is working great for us now and saves us having to pack that extra pair of mens shoes for his tuxedo.

Archived