WW Revisited!!!

Thanks for reponding to my other thread, Barbara!

What's the jist of the Core Program? I've never belonged to WW formally, but a couple of years ago I lost 20 lbs after buying the Points books on eBay. And, now I have a points tracker for my Palm that really helps me all throughout the day.

But, I've heard the Core Program is very simple....how does that work?

I currently weigh 160 lbs. I'm hoping to lose 30-35 lbs. My cruise is in mid-January.

Thanks in advance for all the support I know is out there!

--Heidi

Hi Heidi!

Here is the basics of the new WW Core program:

Vegetables:

• What's Included
    • Fresh, frozen or canned (without added sauce, fat or sugar)
    • Tomato paste, puree and sauce

Details

• Vegetables cannot contain ingredients that are not Core Foods (e.g., regular refried beans, pork & beans, corn in butter sauce, dried tomatoes packed in oil, French fries and sweet pickles are not Core Foods)
    • Vegetable juices are not Core Foods

Fruits:

• What's Included
    • Fresh, frozen or canned fruits (without added sugar)

Details

• Canned fruit must be packed in water or juice (not syrup) and drained before eating
    • Unsweetened applesauce is a Core Food, but sweetened applesauce is not
    • Dried fruits are not Core Foods
    • Fruit juices are not Core Foods

Soups:

• What's Included
    • Fresh, canned, frozen or homemade soups made only with Core Foods
    • Bean soup (e.g., lentil soup, split pea soup)
    • Bouillon
    • Broth-based soup
    • Tomato soup

Details

• Cream soups are not Core Foods

Fat-Free Dairy Products and Dairy Substitutes:

• What's Included
    • Fat-free milk, cheese and sour cream
    • Soy milk, cheese and yogurt (plain)

Details

• Weight Watchers Smoothies or fat-free, sugar-free instant hot cocoa or reduced-calorie dairy shakes is limited to once a day

Egg and Egg Substitutes:

• What's Included
    • Whole eggs, egg whites and egg substitutes

Ready-To-Eat Cold Cereal:

• What's Included
    • Puffed wheat, puffed rice, shredded wheat, and 100% bran cereals that do not contain added sugar

Details

• Cold cereals are limited to one meal a day and must be eaten with fat-free milk or fat-free plain yogurt

Cooked (Hot) Cereal:

• What's Included
    • Cooked (hot) cereal

Details

• Any plain variety that does not contain added sugar

Grains and Starches:

• What's Included
    • Whole-wheat pasta, brown rice, potatoes, and grains
    • Starchy vegetables (e.g., peas, corn)

Details

• Whole-wheat pasta or brown rice or potatoes is limited to one meal a day

Lean Meat, Poultry, Fish and Meat Substitutes:

• What's Included
    • Beef, lamb, pork and veal:
      • At the meat case look for cuts from the "loin," "round," and "leg"
      • Organ meats

• Poultry – Chicken and turkey:
      • Fresh, frozen, or canned.
      • Organ meats (e.g., chicken livers)

• Fish and shellfish:
      • Fresh, frozen, or canned, any variety

• Meat substitutes:
      • Dried beans and lentils
      • Tofu, any type
      • Vegetarian burgers, frozen

Details

• Beef, lamb, pork and veal:
      • Choose visibly lean cuts and trim any excess fat
      • Ground beef with no more than 7% fat or ground turkey or ground chicken is limited to one meal a day
      • Processed meals such as deli products and hot dogs are not Core Foods

• Poultry – Chicken and turkey:
      • Trim any visible fat before preparing and remove skin before eating

• Fish and shellfish:
      • Canned varieties must be packed in water, broth, or tomato juice (not packed in oil)

Oils and Condiments:

• What's Included
    • Fat-free salad dressings
    • Fat-free margarine
    • Fat-free mayonnaise
    • Nonstick cooking or baking spray
    • Extracts, flavorings, and herbs
    • Select other condiments and extras

Details

• Include 2 teaspoons of olive, canola, safflower, sunflower, or flaxseed oil each day

Beverages:

• What's Included
    • Coffee (without sugar)
    • Tea (without sugar)
    • Diet soft drinks
    • Club soda
    • Seltzer (plain or flavored, unsweetened)
    • Water

Details

• Beverages containing alcohol are not Core Foods

dots_393.gif

You also get 35 points a week for anything "extra" you want.

I average about 2 lbs a week on this program and I eat all I want, whenever I want. I love having so many "free" foods!!!! Let me know if you need more info!!

Barbara:D

Great title for the new thread! WW @ work starts today at lunch. It will be great to have mtgs here which frees up my Saturday! I need to attend the mtgs and was not staying for them before. We were also able to get the best leader in the area for our mtgs here. Between the new group here at work and this board I am hoping for success this time. My husband has promised to try WW (without the mtgs) but it will be difficult for him as he is strictly meat & potatoes. I have never figured out how he stays healthy when he will not touch veggies or fruit - only a small glass (1/2 cup) of orange juice every morning!

I will let you know how the meeting goes today. Finished 1st bottle of H2O for the day. Good luck to all of us!

Debbie

I guess I need to go back and re-read the WW books I have, but maybe you all can help me faster.

How much water should we be drinking on the plan? How many servings of vegetables?

How much are we supposed to lose each week? What time of day should we weigh? (This morning's weight was 5 lbs less than last night's ... how did I lose 5 lbs overnight????) How often should we weigh?

Do you guys measure as well as weigh? (I did Curves for about a year .. they measure bust, waist, belly, upper arm, hips, thigh)

I'm thinking of getting a new bathroom scale that also does body fat calculations. Anyone have one they like?

--Heidi

Um, Alleghator, can I throw my 2 cents in? I read your other post and what you say here. I think you're being too hard on yourself.

I weigh about 155, around 140 is better, heck I'll take 145. But I know I won't be getting back to 130 like I was 10 years, I can't maintain it.

Wow, when you said you're 160 and want to lose 30-35 lbs., that's a lot when you're really not that big. Not sure your age but after 40 it gets much, much harder to lose weight and keep it off.

I wish you luck. I've been doing WW for a long time, it's a great program, I'm always following it. It helps me continue to exercise and eat healthy (well, except for on vacation where I gained my current 10 lbs.).

Diana

Totally Addicted, thanks for printing the Core Plan. I just wish it was printed on Saturday - I could have saved the 55.00 for joining WW online! LOL. I need to get down to 155 which means I have 103 pounds to lose. I started dieting last week but didn't join WW until this week. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week on average until my cruise Sept. '06. I like the new core plan (I've been a WW revister for years now).

Welcome Rambill -

I know 100lbs seems like a lot, but just take it one step at a time - one successfull meal at a time and you will do great! :)

We are here to support you and cheer for you.....keep your motivation up, and be good to yourself.

Hi Robyn - did you join WW? WW @ work went well today. 25 participants. Program starts next Thursday. Today was just an info session and sign up. Lots of enthusiasm which will help us all over the next ten weeks. WW @ work is a ten week program to start. I am going to sign up for the etools online as well (Cdn $40 for 3 months in addition to already being an active WW). Several in our group said they found the journalling much easier and the recipe builder and available recipes and point calculations well worth the few extra $. Have managed to drink 3 bottles plain water and 1 bottle crystal light today. Getting the water down and journalling are my biggest obstacles. Later.

Debbie

It's not so much that I necessarily am worried about the poundage, but I'm only 5'3" and I want to wear a size 10 ... right now my jeans are 14s.

So, I don't care (within reason) if I weigh 200 lbs, as long as I lower my clothing size and bodyfat percentage. :)

--Heidi

Everyone should take their measurements as well as their weight! I know that you can plateau with the weight but seeing a difference in the measurements can give a much needed boost. My best friend (goes to Herbal Magic) said they measure as follows: neck, shoulders, upper arm, bust/chest, abdomen, hips, upper thigh, calf, ankle. Always use same arm/leg. Have someone take the measurements for you (DH, BF).

Debbie

Hi Debbie :)

I'm re-joining THIS Saturday.....I'm a little nervous ( I don't really want to face the scale) but I'm going nevertheless!

WW at work sounds terrific - lotsa support from those around you.

I'm heading to Niagara Falls on Sunday for 2 nights - eating in restaurants will be challenging....

Robyn and Debbie - It looks like we all live relatively close together. I live in London.

Robyn - Enjoy Niagra Falls, I love it there. We go a few times a year and then we go over to Buffalo and do some shopping as well. As for restaurants, I am finding that more places have low fat and low carb options on their menus. I went to Swiss Chalet last night for dinner and was pleased to see how many menu items had either a LC or LF beside them meaning they were better choices. (although I still ended up ordering a quarter chicken dinner with fries!) Old habits are hard to break!!

Long weekends are challenging. It looks like we are going to get some great weather this weekend so that means lots of outdoor activities like bike riding in Springbank Park.

Andrea

Hey I found it! :D Thanks Barbara for posting that whole core list, that will sure help. Sounds like everyone is off to a good start. I must be PMSing because I sure was craving chocolate today!!:mad: Oh well, I could have done much worse than I did. I think the whole list will help. I honestly tried to get to theYMCA yesterday and got 2 miles down the road and my tire was flat as a pancake!:eek: Had to get four new tires today as none were in too good a shape but will try again!! Good luck to everyone. ONE day at a time!!:p

Barbara,

If you're still out there, I posted the instructions for adding the roll call link to your signature here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=3775905&postcount=144

Are Core foods "free foods"? Do you still follow the point system?

Hi!

Thank you so much for posting the "link" thing!!! I've been too busy to do it yet, but I will get to it someday!!

All the food on the Core Program is as much as you want without counting points!!! It is wonderful!! I lost 50 lbs on the "points" counting (Flex) program but I did it by eating a lot of "free" food (vegetable soup) and I got really tired of it and bored with the foods I was eating. This new Core plan is so much easier to follow. No counting points except for the extra 35 points you get each week. I just love it!!!!

Barbara :D

Totally Addicted, thanks for printing the Core Plan. I just wish it was printed on Saturday - I could have saved the 55.00 for joining WW online! LOL. I need to get down to 155 which means I have 103 pounds to lose. I started dieting last week but didn't join WW until this week. My goal is to lose 2 pounds a week on average until my cruise Sept. '06. I like the new core plan (I've been a WW revister for years now).

Hi!

I think it's really worth joining WW online. I love the weigh in. (Reminds me of where I was last week) I really like the graph!! The recipes are great and just all the little goodies!! I love the Core plan as I refuse to think I'm dieting and with the Core plan I know I'm just eating well to keep my health and the wonderful thing about it is I lose weight along the way! I feel better eating properly so there are lots of "pros"!! I'm so glad you found us and are joining in! It is great the support we all have here!!!

Looking forward to all our successes!!!!

Barbara :D

Hey I found it! :D Thanks Barbara for posting that whole core list, that will sure help. Sounds like everyone is off to a good start. I must be PMSing because I sure was craving chocolate today!!:mad: Oh well, I could have done much worse than I did. I think the whole list will help. I honestly tried to get to theYMCA yesterday and got 2 miles down the road and my tire was flat as a pancake!:eek: Had to get four new tires today as none were in too good a shape but will try again!! Good luck to everyone. ONE day at a time!!:p

Hi!

Glad you found it!! When I crave chocolate I have a chocolate Tootsie Roll Pop. 1 point and I feel it is sooo worth it!! The Creme Savers, chocolate are good for that too! (3 for 1 point). If it's chocolate cake I want the WW chocolate cake with a "dalop" of fat free cool whip is 3 points!! Or a Hostess Cup Cake is 4 points! But really I have found on the Core plan I don't have those cravings any more. I still had them when I was counting points I think because I ate more sugar. Now I eat fruit (all I want) and don't have the cravings. :D

Barbara

Hi everyone :)

Tomorrow is the big day! I re-join WW and hopefully change my life - this time for keeps.

Can someone explain to me how WW online works? Is it in addition to your weekly weigh in's? What does WW online provide? How much is it? I'm thinking I'll register if it's going to give an added dimension to my weight loss journey.

I hope everyone is well - and remember: Thin tastes better ;)

A quick tip about chocolate: If you're "Jonzing" for a fix (who doesn't!), try a few pieces of Dark Chocolate. Dark Chocolate contains a lot less sugar than milk chocolate and more cocoa so less of it satisfies that craving.

Totally Addicted. I'm still glad I joined online! Since I love to cook, I love the recipes and the weigh-in graph. Focusing on my first goal of losing 10% of my total weight makes the task a lot less daunting. I do have to keep myself focused on the fact that 1 - 2 pounds a week = 52 - 104 pounds a year! Got smart and bought an electronic digital scale too. It's a lot more accurate than the typical bathroom scale. Now I need to get one for my kitchen to weigh my servings (and for baking :D). TG for Splenda!!

HELP!

I'm one of those people that jumps on the scale several times a day and then freaks out when it's the same :( I know I should only weigh myself once a week.......should I hide my scale?

Hide the scale! I know it is difficult when you are working so hard at it, but water gain and so on can really sabotage your efforts if you jump on the scale too often. I only allow myself to go near the scale on Thursday morning. I like the suggestion to measure yourself, so I will do that tonight. Those weeks when you stay op, but don't lose are a challenge and losing inches might be the solution for me.

BTW, I started back on the ww Flex program last week, but I am not going to meetings. I may give online a try.

This is a great thread!

Gayla -

Thanks for the advice about the scale - I guess I needed to hear it from someone else for it to actually sink in.

My scale is currently located in my bathroom, so when I get home today I am going to relocate it to a closet or something - to resist the temptation.

I'm going away for the weekend, and I am starting back at WW tomorrow. Even though I will be eating in restaurants for 2 days I am determined to make the "right" food choices.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, it's a long weekend here in Canada and I'm looking forward to the extra day off.

It would be great if we could post our pics so we know who we are talking to - anyone wanna do that?

Re: Weighing frequently... I just can't do it! I weigh once a week, twice max. The daily fluctuations "freak me out"! I usually weigh just before going to my Ww meeting so that it's not a surprise when I get there!

Not official (cuz my meeting is tomorrow) but I weighed today and I'm down 1.5 this week. So after just 6 weeks on WW, I'm down 13 pounds! (43 total) Anyone looking at having to lose lots of weight, I mean over 80 pounds... you can DO IT! I was looking at losing 80+ pounds last August and now I'm over 1/2 way there! Just stick with it and be patient! It is SO worth it! I swear, this is the LAST time I'm losing this weight! I have lost and gained so many times. WW is a sensible plan that I can stick with. It just makes sense! This is the LAST "diet" for me. I don't like to use the word "diet". We all know that it's a life style change!

Hang in there everyone! You can do it!

Jean :D

Archived