Chef Dinner Dress

hertz4319

Hi All,

My partner and I will be on the Sun on 10/24. We are planning to do the chef's dinner. This is the first time we will be on NCL and I know this ship and line is casual for meals. So my question is do people get dressed up for the chef's dinner. Dressed up to us is at a minimum a shirt, tie, and sports coat the most would be suit.

Thank you all for your help. We like to be dressed appropriately for all occasions.

Stewart

Hi All,

My partner and I will be on the Sun on 10/24. We are planning to do the chef's dinner. This is the first time we will be on NCL and I know this ship and line is casual for meals. So my question is do people get dressed up for the chef's dinner. Dressed up to us is at a minimum a shirt, tie, and sports coat the most would be suit.

Thank you all for your help. We like to be dressed appropriately for all occasions.

Stewart

I just enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Star. There were 5 couples and 1 single. All the women were dressed up. Of the 5 men, 2 wore blue blazers atop a sports shirt and slacks. The other 3 men wore sports shirts and slacks.

You are treated like kings and queens so I think a fancier dress is appreciated by the many staff who will be attending to your needs.

The Chef's Table was one of the highlights on our May Baltic Cruise!

There were 12 of us, 4 ladies, 8 men. The ladies wore nice outfits, dressy blouses, nice slacks, or dresses. The men wore slacks with pull over cashmire sweaters, or slacks with sports coat and ties.

Enjoy your meal, it's wonderful! You get a lot of attention from the chef, the serving staff and the wine steward.

I just enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Star. There were 5 couples and 1 single. All the women were dressed up. Of the 5 men, 2 wore blue blazers atop a sports shirt and slacks. The other 3 men wore sports shirts and slacks.

You are treated like kings and queens so I think a fancier dress is appreciated by the many staff who will be attending to your needs.

What, you mean I can't wear my baseball cap, stained two sizes too small Harley t shirt and torn jeans.

My husband is a super casual guy. We went shopping last week for the express purpose of dressing for the Chef's table (if we get it). This was the only time we have ever shopped together for his clothes in 20 years of marriage, so it was a big deal (I usually buy his underwear, socks, and Levi's as they wear out). We bought dress shoes, nice slacks and a button down shirt. I didn't think he'd really need a tie, but now I am second guessing that because of previous comments. Would lack of a tie be a faux pas? I, of course, will be fabulously dressed up:)

My husband is a super casual guy. We went shopping last week for the express purpose of dressing for the Chef's table (if we get it). This was the only time we have ever shopped together for his clothes in 20 years of marriage, so it was a big deal (I usually buy his underwear, socks, and Levi's as they wear out). We bought dress shoes, nice slacks and a button down shirt. I didn't think he'd really need a tie, but now I am second guessing that because of previous comments. Would lack of a tie be a faux pas? I, of course, will be fabulously dressed up:)

He will be just fine without a tie. As I said in an earlier post to this thread, of the five gentleman at our Chefs Table, no one wore a tie. All five wore slacks and sport shirts. Two of the five wore a blue blazer over the sport shirt. The other three without a blazer felt appropriately dressed.

Cruisin what you say others wore, I think is totally appropriate. But my question pertains to the 2nd part of your post.

Why would "many staff who will be attending to your needs" care one way or the other what the people at the table wore. Since in all my reading of CC on clothing threads, it appears to be the passenger sitting near you that care that you are "ruining their ambience", if you don't dress to their liking, not the staff.

Cruisin what you say others wore, I think is totally appropriate. But my question pertains to the 2nd part of your post.

Why would "many staff who will be attending to your needs" care one way or the other what the people at the table wore. Since in all my reading of CC on clothing threads, it appears to be the passenger sitting near you that care that you are "ruining their ambience", if you don't dress to their liking, not the staff.

Are you having a bad day or something? This strikes me as nit picking. If the half dozen or so servers, the ships wine sommelier, the head chef, other assistant chefs, the hotel director, the bar and restaurant director, the photographer and many other senior officers who end up showing up at some time during the event to make your dinner special don't make you want to dress up regardless of the other passenger attendees, then I don't know what to say other than what I have already stated.

Are you having a bad day or something? This strikes me as nit picking. If the half dozen or so servers, the ships wine sommelier, the head chef, other assistant chefs, the hotel director, the bar and restaurant director, the photographer and many other senior officers who end up showing up at some time during the event to make your dinner special don't make you want to dress up regardless of the other passenger attendees, then I don't know what to say other than what I have already stated.

No actually I'm having a very good day, but thank you for asking. And no I'm not nitpicking as I said I think the dress you mentioned is fine and appropriate. And yes if I was to attend a function like that, that is exactly how I would dress.

I was just unsure why the staff would care what the guests were wearing. But if you take issue or offence with my question, I apologize and will quietly back out of the thread.

No actually I'm having a very good day, but thank you for asking. And no I'm not nitpicking as I said I think the dress you mentioned is fine and appropriate. And yes if I was to attend a function like that, that is exactly how I would dress.

I was just unsure why the staff would care what the guests were wearing. But if you take issue or offence with my question, I apologize and will quietly back out of the thread.

You have my apologies as well. I reacted very strongly and personally there and I apologize. I felt I was being attacked somewhat for offering my opinion that given the high degree of attention by the staff and senior staff, I felt dressing up was appropriate regardless of the other attendees. Please do not quietly back out of the tread. Your opinion is valued.

Slacks and a sport shirt are fine. No need to dress up any more than that. If you check some of the threads about Chef's Table, you will see the majority of the men are without jackets and certainly no ties. And I agree, I don't think the staff care much what you wear, they want you to relax and have fun!!

Good, my husband hates ties

Somehow down here in Texas we females have gotten away from wearing hosiery. Poor men still endure ties. Thank heaven for casual Fridays.

I love NCL! Vacation shouldn't have to feel like work! Nice shirt and slacks are very appropriate.

Enjoy!

He will be just fine without a tie, you will really enjoy this treat!

Somehow down here in Texas we females have gotten away from wearing hosiery. Poor men still endure ties. Thank heaven for casual Fridays.

Donna my darling, we really need to figure out a way to cruise together sometime! In addition to enjoying your compact blender, I now know you won't mind my kahki's and sport shirt.

Donna my darling, we really need to figure out a way to cruise together sometime! In addition to enjoying your compact blender, I now know you won't mind my kahki's and sport shirt.

Clay, just DO NOT make the mistake of wearing a red golf shirt with your khakis and making a stop in TARGET. If you have ever done this you would understand. Haha.

We are booked 3/20/12 on the Sun. Still pondering the one after. Possibly Canada and New England. Maybe Panama Canal.

Archived