Fans Confiscated

cruisinmon

I don't disagree on Enchantment about the electrical, I think I mentioned that in my first post.

You didn't, so now I'm curious, are you thinking it's the stretch that caused her power shortage? I would believe that. None of the PR literature mentioned any increase in electric generating capacity, that I recall.

Reading that this appears to be an Enchantment issue has me rethinking my upcoming booking. Yes, I am that attached to my fan. I am unable to sleep in a room that does not have a fan - even in winter.

Interesting thought... I am not a lawyer, but I read a lot of lawyer stuff... there are consumer protection laws. Generally speaking, if someone offers to provide you a service and you buy it, they are obligated to actually provide it to you. If a fan is not on the list of prohibited items, which they have clearly taken the effort to make and to communicate to you ahead of time, it would stand to reason that they cannot refuse to honor your contract for what amounts to no official reason - especially if they allow fans unrestricted in the rest of the fleet.

I'm sure they would bleed you to death if you tried to sue them but I bet it would make the papers, and the court of public opinion is more powerful than any judge wearing a robe.

Theron

Someone on an Enchantment cruise should ask the question at the Captain's Corner Q&A session, why Enchantment is the only ship in the fleet that prohibits fans!

Is there any evidence that this policy is different for the two rotating captains?

Theron

You didn't, so now I'm curious, are you thinking it's the stretch that caused her power shortage? I would believe that. None of the PR literature mentioned any increase in electric generating capacity, that I recall.

Interesting thought... I am not a lawyer, but I read a lot of lawyer stuff... there are consumer protection laws. Generally speaking, if someone offers to provide you a service and you buy it, they are obligated to actually provide it to you. If a fan is not on the list of prohibited items, which they have clearly taken the effort to make and to communicate to you ahead of time, it would stand to reason that they cannot refuse to honor your contract for what amounts to no official reason - especially if they allow fans unrestricted in the rest of the fleet.

I'm sure they would bleed you to death if you tried to sue them but I bet it would make the papers, and the court of public opinion is more powerful than any judge wearing a robe.

Theron

I think it's just quirky enforcement. :rolleyes: When we had the Leatherman tool confiscated at the New Orleans port, there were 20 posts that people took theirs everywhere in their checked luggage.

Ours had been on 10+ cruises when our bag was held and it was confiscated in NOLA.

They probably have briefings, and it could be...you must hold bags for " blah, blah, liquor, blah, blah, fans, blah..." :D

Theron

Royal Caribbean policy says:

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

It sounds like an officer on the Enchantment has decided that the fans are interfering with the safe operation of the ship. :confused:

If you're that concerned about it email RCI directly and ask why Enchantment is the only ship prohibiting fans.

PS: Enchantment just switched captains for the normal 10 week rotation last week, I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

That may be it - I was on EN in August and was able to take on fan that was in my carry-on. I always have a little anxiety about it but I have found that the fan in the carry-on is more likely to escape scrutiny.

The only time my fan has been confiscated was on the Serenade in 2009. Fortunately it was an Alaska cruise so we just sailed with the balcony door open. LOL

We take a plastic electrial fan on every cruise and only once was it questioned when boarding Majesty. We used it on Enchantment twice without any issues. Many of the personnel don't know the rules, so they take it upon themselves to create new rules.

The special needs department approved the use of fans on their ships, if anyone questions this, email them yourself and print out the reply and have it with you everytime you sail to show them if it is questioned, that's what I do! Gotta have my fan!

I decided to show you the email that I received:

Thank you for your email.

During our conversation in Live Chat, I advised you that small fans, battery operated or electric, are permitted onboard our ships. This was supported by our Special Needs Department. As many people require fans to sleep at night, they made the determination to allow guest to bring them onboard. The security teams were advised some time ago not to confiscate them at the pier. If you encounter any problems in the future, we advise you to let them know that the Special Needs Department has permitted this. Maybe even go so far as to have it remarked in your reservation as a special request. This would ensure you do not have any problems at the pier.

Mr. XXXXX, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International. We look forward to welcoming you aboard in the future.

Sincerely,

Dayna Bolton

Customer Service Representative

Archived