Fans Confiscated

cruisinmon

Its considered a fire hazard. You might remember to turn it off but someone else might be in a hurry to get somewhere and leave theirs on causing a fire.

Let me understand this correctly. You can't take an iron but you're allowed to take a curling iron which has the same fire hazard risk. Explain the logic behind that one! Or is that one of those rules the cruise lines create that no one can challenge?

Let me understand this correctly. You can't take an iron but you're allowed to take a curling iron which has the same fire hazard risk. Explain the logic behind that one! Or is that one of those rules the cruise lines create that no one can challenge?

Definately not logical IMO and you can challenge if you want, but if you take any kind of fabric iron on board, there is a 99.99999% chance it will be confiscated.

I knew bringing your own travel iron was no longer allowed.

On my last cruise (NCL to Bermuda) three years ago, I filled out a laundry form shortly after boarding to have a number of items pressed. My room steward was kind enough to tip me off that I could avoid this cost: There was an iron available to borrow from the ship. He told me where to call to request this, so I did. I was given a one-hour time frame that the iron would arrive the next afternoon, and informed that it was in high demand so I would only be allowed to have it for approximately 15 minutes. It was enough time to iron the most wrinkled items and I didn't have to pay for the laundry service to do it, which wasn't cheap. Sweet!

This may not be the case on every cruise line or ship, but it doesn't hurt to ask. :)

Definately not logical IMO and you can challenge if you want, but if you take any kind of fabric iron on board, there is a 99.99999% chance it will be confiscated.

Yep, certainly not logical to allow curling/flat irons and hair dryers but to stop a fan. We are 3 for 3 with having our fan stopped on the Enchantment. That's the only ship where we've had difficulties. Polite challenge does not work. Security told us that our fan does not have an enclosed motor and an object could fall on the fan and cause overheating. Really? Enclosed motors overheat so I say bunk.

I think the Enchantment just can't take the extra load and it wouldn't sound nice if they said that.

DH has respiratory issues and also brings a CPAP with him. We pre-order the distilled water and extension cord thru special needs and that along with a safety officer examining our fan has allowed them to make an exception with our fan. It can be a lengthly ordeal though.

If you have an iphone there is an app called whitenoise that is free. It has several noises such as a fan on it. I have it downloaded so that I can have my fan noise!

I agree!! I use the whitenoise app every trip I take. It is a great way to get the noise. I would have to laugh seeing that kind of thing. I completely understand irons but a FAN? Down load a app or buy a noise machine and save the packing room for the important things like shoes.

Yep, certainly not logical to allow curling/flat irons and hair dryers but to stop a fan. We are 3 for 3 with having our fan stopped on the Enchantment. That's the only ship where we've had difficulties. Polite challenge does not work. Security told us that our fan does not have an enclosed motor and an object could fall on the fan and cause overheating. Really? Enclosed motors overheat so I say bunk.

I think the Enchantment just can't take the extra load and it wouldn't sound nice if they said that.

I don't disagree on Enchantment about the electrical, I think I mentioned that in my first post.

It is logical and not complete bunk, imho, about personal care items. How often do you leave the room and leave the fan on? How often do you leave the room and leave a hair dryer turned on? How hot does a hair iron or curling iron get compared to a clothing iron?

No problem with the hair straightener. You can take one. I would quit cruising if they took mine! :eek:

Really?!? That's ALL it would take to make you quit cruising? :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've seen people coming off of a cruise lugging around big box fans, like the two foot across box fans. My mom looked at the people and figured that they were crazy. So I can see where some ships officers might be seeing things like that far more than we do and deciding to put a stop to it.

The will not allow irons no matter what size because you could leave it plugged in and cause a fire onboard.:eek:

RCI like many other cruiselines should either supply irons or have a room where folks can go to iron. Before you chime in and say just sent things to be pressed, there is noway to get this done on the first night.

If you could see my hair, you'd understand. :rolleyes: Remember Rosanna Danna? :eek: Yep, that's me! Humidity (ocean) and my hair do not go together.

I agree!! I use the whitenoise app every trip I take. It is a great way to get the noise. I would have to laugh seeing that kind of thing. I completely understand irons but a FAN? Down load a app or buy a noise machine and save the packing room for the important things like shoes.

I have white noise downloaded to my Kindle, but the speakers are not load enough to quiet a room. That's why we bring along a white noise machine. Has a European plug so that we can use it it Europe and then use the European outlets on the ship. Saves up room for our US electrical appliances, like my hair straightener!

Doesn't running the App on your phone wear your batteries down and put wear and tear on your device?

If you could see my hair, you'd understand. :rolleyes: Remember Rosanna Danna? :eek: Yep, that's me! Humidity (ocean) and my hair do not go together.

I have white noise downloaded to my Kindle, but the speakers are not load enough to quiet a room. That's why we bring along a white noise machine. Has a European plug so that we can use it it Europe and then use the European outlets on the ship. Saves up room for our US electrical appliances, like my hair straightener!

Doesn't running the App on your phone wear your batteries down and put wear and tear on your device?

I have a dock for my Android phone, so it doesnt run the batteries down. I also have a bluetooth Jawbone speaker. Very small but fantastic sound. So you can put the speaker anywhere and listen to music, apps, etc from your phone. I like to have it on the balcony and listen to Buffet while cruising. The phone stays in the dock in the room.

yes, and no.

an curling iron has a stand, and will not be used on or near flammable objects such as fabric. you can leave one accidentally and not only will it NOT draw as much juice, there is little risk of it catching something on fire.

but most irons if left unattended for just a few minutes can fall over, and start smoldering. first time the ship rocks/sways, and it's tipped over and Bam.. burns through the towel you used as a padding for the blouse you just ironed.

I'll be honest, Ironing/lack of wrinkles in my clothes is the last thing I worry about while on vacation.. I pack judiciously.. wrinkle free items like knits. Hell even my formal stuff is usually a travel savvy outfit. and DH is extra protective of his uniform for formal night as well.. it gets hung up immediately upon arriving at the cabin. if it really needs a helping hand, on board pressing charges are actually reasonable.

And just so you don't think that the No Irons rule is just a way to get you to send things out for pressing, my son spent almost a year on the Allure as a member of the cast of Chicago and Blue Planet and none of the crew was allowed an iron either!

Enchantment is the only ship I've read about that confiscates fans. I had a battery fan held in the naughty room last November. Once I proved it ran on batteries and let them know that I needed it for hot flashes (the alternative was to leave the balcony door open at night...) I was allowed to take it to my room.

I have a dock for my Android phone, so it doesnt run the batteries down. I also have a bluetooth Jawbone speaker. Very small but fantastic sound. So you can put the speaker anywhere and listen to music, apps, etc from your phone. I like to have it on the balcony and listen to Buffet while cruising. The phone stays in the dock in the room.

That's cool!

I'll just keep taking my white noise machine since I don't have or want a fancy phone at this point.;)

Reading that this appears to be an Enchantment issue has me rethinking my upcoming booking. Yes, I am that attached to my fan. I am unable to sleep in a room that does not have a fan - even in winter.

It's amazing how many of us that realy on this simple device. When I had my sleep study, they asked if I needed one. My response "if you expect me to sleep tonight, either you provide one, or I am taking my travel fan out of my suitcase to use it". They said they have several for this very reason.

Last night I downloaded several of the iPhone apps and none of the free one's came close to sounding like a real fan. The noise it made would actually keep me up rather than put me to sleep. So fan lovers is there an app that truly sounds like a fan?

Thank goodness I had a fan on our last cruise on Monarch. In the afternoons it would get stuffy and we needed it to improve circulation and the breeze it generated. (And yes, the hot flashes requires it.) We always turnoff the fan when we leave the room - including tv, lights, etc.

Now, I am thinking a little outside the box. Wonder if during my upcoming doctor appointment I ask my doctor for a letter stating medical need, i.e., patient unable to rest / sleep without it would work?

RCI like many other cruiselines should either supply irons or have a room where folks can go to iron. Before you chime in and say just sent things to be pressed, there is noway to get this done on the first night.

While I agree there should be a place to iron clothes, what could you possibly need to press on the very first night? Dress is very relaxed and most people wear what they have on during embarkation.

I don't disagree on Enchantment about the electrical, I think I mentioned that in my first post.

It is logical and not complete bunk, imho, about personal care items. How often do you leave the room and leave the fan on? How often do you leave the room and leave a hair dryer turned on? How hot does a hair iron or curling iron get compared to a clothing iron?

My curling iron gets HOT - hot enough to start a fire if it was left on and accidently fell into a waste basket with tissues or paper in it. If you're using the "how often" logic, then I can honestly say that for years I traveled with a iron when they were allowed and I never left it on. I can be responsible with potentially dangerous items, unfortunately there are those who can't, so we all have to pay the price.

My curling iron gets HOT - hot enough to start a fire if it was left on and accidently fell into a waste basket with tissues or paper in it. If you're using the "how often" logic, then I can honestly say that for years I traveled with a iron when they were allowed and I never left it on. I can be responsible with potentially dangerous items, unfortunately there are those who can't, so we all have to pay the price.

Well said! I know a guy who has been a firefighter for 10 years and he said he's lost count on the number of times where the primary cause of the fire he extinguished was from a curling iron. It's good to know that the ship's staff is well trained to handle this kind of emergency but there's still no justification on being able to bring a curling iron onboard and yet, clothing irons and fans are not permitted.

I will die without my fan, we are leaving in about a month, i cannot sleep without one, i need the circulation of air and noise and yes hot flashes, wonder if i can hide my straightner somewhere my hair will frizz what are we supposed to do

My understanding is that Hair Straighteners (flat irons) are just fine. One poster even mentioned they use their's to 'iron' clothing. It is just clothing irons that aren't allowed.

Archived