prevent sea sickness

cruiser5809

Try to book a cabin in the middle part of the ship. We didn't notice the rocking as much there. Also try eating green apples, that worked wonders for my son. We stocked up on them at the buffet. Definitely bring medication just in case (we used Bonine tablets, which are nondrowsy).

he best really varies by person.

For some (me) Bonine works great and another option is Dramamine. The key is to take them before you feel sick. For some people they get drowsy.

Other used Ginger Capsules or ginger.

Some get a prescription for the patch. Downside is that it is more costly and also some side effects such as dry mouth.

Some use the sea bands but even the manufacturer says they only work for some people.

You may want to check with your Physician's office first. If you go with something like Bonine or something similar to that, test it out way before the cruise so that you can get a sense to whether you get an side effects from it use.

Keith

A cabin in the lower middle part of the ship, must have some sort of a window (at least a porthole).

Ginger is good - start taking 2 days before the cruise, through the cruise, and don't stop till 2 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs".

Bring something for rough seas - Bonine or Dramamine - depends how your body reacts.

Center of the ship and lower deck with window or porthole are great!

If you have never had motion sickness you probably won't have it on a cruise ship. I have felt queasy a few times on fishing boats, but a few minutes in the fresh air and looking at the horizon ended it.

A friend of ours went on a short cruise with a group of us, which surprised me as she wouldn't get within 5 feet of my dock! Didn't swim and afraid of the water. She enjoyed the cruise more than anyone!

Go with the attitude you won't get sick!

Begin taking Bonine (over the counter) or generic Meclizine (same thing) the day you begin cruising. I have done this for many years without any side effects. While on board, I take one Bonine (or Meclizine) tablet every morning and feel fine.

For me, it does not have a negative effect with drinking alcohol or sleeping, but does give me the added protection of not getting nauseated or sick.

Your mileage may vary so check with your physician before cruising.

he best really varies by person.

For some (me) Bonine works great and another option is Dramamine. The key is to take them before you feel sick. For some people they get drowsy.

Other used Ginger Capsules or ginger.

Some get a prescription for the patch. Downside is that it is more costly and also some side effects such as dry mouth.

Some use the sea bands but even the manufacturer says they only work for some people.

You may want to check with your Physician's office first. If you go with something like Bonine or something similar to that, test it out way before the cruise so that you can get a sense to whether you get an side effects from it use.

Keith

This is basically my advice. Check with your doctor for some ideas. He or she knows what medications you are on (important in some cases. For example, if you're on blood thinners, you'll be told to avoid ginger). Then try out a few different types of remedies before your cruise to see what gives you side effects right off the bat. Take more than one remedy with you as sometimes something might not work in actual practice.

With me, ginger chews seem to help me the most, and without making me drowsy as many pills will. My mother, who also keeps motion sickness, successfully used the patch on her one cruise. Ask several people, and you'll get several answers.

Archived