Prescription SEASICK meds...What brand do you use???

It's fair to say that different remedies work for different people so a lot of its trial and error. Last year our captain's wife accompanied him on our cruise and the poor woman was prostrate with seasickness most of the time :(. All the remedies she tried either didn't work at all or knocked her out. One Kiwi passenger offered their SEA LEGS to try and they worked like a charm and Mrs Captain had no further problems, even in some very rough seas. She said it was a miracle and her husband agreed! I don't suffer from mal de mer but always pack meds as a precaution and wish Sea Legs were available in Oz. We can't get Bonine or other meclizine brands either.

Kiwi Pete

Do you by any chance know what can I buy over the counter in New Zealand?

Just then one less thing to take as we will have prescription drugs to declare.

Many thanks

J

Sorry I can't really help you as we have never had to buy any. But Cassicruiser has answered your question re branded products.

Talking to Australians on our last cruise, they purchase the "Paihia Bomb" by e mail and they are posted to your home address. Hope this is of some help.

Pete

Hi, if your kids are too young to take tablets then I would try Phenergan Liquid, it apparently has the same active ingredient as Avomine. We gave it to our son and no probs.

Thanks Jenny,

I have some Phenergan and will take it with. I have used it for my kids before, but not for motion sickness, but rather to help them sleep on long haul flights.

Pharmacist recommended it but never mentioned anything about motionsickness so thanks for the heads up.

Heads up on phenergan. It can turn some kids into hyperactive hellions instead of the desired effect. My sister discovered this unwanted side effect with 3 pre-school kids on a long overnight trans Atlantic flight. Then they all threw up anyway. Good times :D. I suggest you do a quick "test" before you travel.

It's fair to say that different remedies work for different people so a lot of its trial and error. Last year our captain's wife accompanied him on our cruise and the poor woman was prostrate with seasickness most of the time :(. All the remedies she tried either didn't work at all or knocked her out. One Kiwi passenger offered their SEA LEGS to try and they worked like a charm and Mrs Captain had no further problems, even in some very rough seas. She said it was a miracle and her husband agreed! I don't suffer from mal de mer but always pack meds as a precaution and wish Sea Legs were available in Oz. We can't get Bonine or other meclizine brands either.

If you're sailing on an American line (ie RCI) Bonine is available on the ship. If you are prone to seasickness though, you need to take something from the night before sailing, and then I think you could switch to Bonine the next day. The beauty of Bonine (or Sea Legs) is that it's a once a day tablet.

Just thought I would add a note here. Yes there are a lot of various things people try for seasickness however they basically come down to Antihistamines such as Sea Legs & Bonine are both Meclizine Hydrochloride, Avomine and Phenergan are both promethazine ie same drug.

The Paihia bombs are a mixture of antihistamine but can make you sleepy so caffine has been added to keep you awake - no idea which antihistamine but I did manage to find out this much about them. (they can be either one or two capsules as the drugs are sometimes combined and sometimes not).

Thanks Jenny,

I have some Phenergan and will take it with. I have used it for my kids before, but not for motion sickness, but rather to help them sleep on long haul flights.

Pharmacist recommended it but never mentioned anything about motionsickness so thanks for the heads up.

Daniel, Phenergan will most likely make your kids drowsy (or hyper :eek:). I gave mine Bonine on our last cruise and they were perfect. My youngest was 11 at the time so I gave him half.

Might be worth taking Avomine or Phenergan or whatever the night before, and then when the shops on the ship open once we have left port get some Bonine for the rest of the cruise. It shouldn't make you drowsy like Avomine does.

I don't suffer from mal de mer but always pack meds as a precaution and wish Sea Legs were available in Oz. We can't get Bonine or other meclizine brands either.

We first bought Sea Legs in Fiji & Bonine in Alaska. Since then we have twice got friends travelling in the US to bring us back some generic meclizine tablets. It is available to buy online (just google it) & it's not illegal to bring into Australia for personal use.

It really works so well for us. We wouldn't cruise without it.

I am curious--is Scopolamine available by prescription in your part of the world? It is available in the US in patch or pill form. It does not give me the sleepiness that drugs such as Bonine do. I have beenusing Scopolamine for many years and it works great for me. Just a little dry mouth sometimes.

There are some great seasick medications that people have reccommended,

the only thing I would like to suggest is. please do a trial run before you cruise.

My husband and I have always used the Kwells and found them to work really well but decided to give avomine a go.

Luckily I thought to do a trial run (actually 3 trial runs, just in case it was something else) and found that avomine left me feeling ill.

Have asked at pharmacy and they shouldn't clash

with any other medications I take, so there was no other reason than they

just weren't suitable for me. So please trial test whichever you would like

to use as I would hate for anyone to not enjoy their cruise due to taking

unsuitable meds.

There are some great seasick medications that people have reccommended,

the only thing I would like to suggest is. please do a trial run before you cruise.

My husband and I have always used the Kwells and found them to work really well but decided to give avomine a go.

Luckily I thought to do a trial run (actually 3 trial runs, just in case it was something else) and found that avomine left me feeling ill.

Have asked at pharmacy and they shouldn't clash

with any other medications I take, so there was no other reason than they

just weren't suitable for me. So please trial test whichever you would like

to use as I would hate for anyone to not enjoy their cruise due to taking

unsuitable meds.

Very wise advice.

We use avomine starting the night before leaving, as precautionary, and only continue or reuse if rough seas are predicted (or the bags appear on the stair well railings). I like to view bureau of meteorology (bom) - go to marine and ocean - then to interactive weather and wave page, as an indication of the predicted state of the sea. And as we are leaving on Friday 6.30pm, it doesn't look good at all off Sydney.

Archived