Prescription SEASICK meds...What brand do you use???

Hi all,

I am going to the dr tomorrow to get some prescription meds for our upcoming cruise. We didn't take or need any meds on our last cruise, but are keen to have some handy for our upcoming 'Tasman Crossing'.

I live in a small mining town and our doctors can be a little vague at times, I was hoping I could go in asking for a specific meds.

Can anyone share the name/brand of the best meds they have used???

THanks in advance,

Nikki

You don't need a prescription. Get some Travacalm over the counter from the pharmacy. There's a drowsy and non-drowsy version. Or ask the pharmacist for an alternative. If you don't want to medicate try ginger tablets (also from the pharmacy) or chew crystallised ginger from the supermarket. And try to to worry about it. The more you do the more likely you'll get sick.

We use Avomine.... they are inexpensive and you can ask for them over the counter... no prescription needed. Just started stocking up on them today as our next cruise is 38 nights so will need a few packs for both of us (30 in a pack, under $10). Just take one every night, starting a day or two before the cruise. You will feel a little groggy for 10 mins or so when you wake up but you will get over it and you will never feel seasick.

Most people in Australia use avomine which is available over the counter, as is phenergan. These drugs are similar to what is in the injection used by the medical centre on the ship. Prescription-wise, I usually take some maxolon (or stematil) which are purely anti-nausea medication whereas the first two are antihistamines. I've only ever needed the maxolon once on a cruise to Tonga out of Auckland when we hit the tail end of a cyclone before we had gained our "sea legs"

I personally now get friends to buy me Bonine (meclazine) when they're in the US as I find it works best for me & is non-drowsy. Most cruising americans sing the praises of this drug's efficacy for seasickness. You can buy it online. It's not banned in Australia, but not available for sale here either (who knows why?). It's allowed to be brought in through customs in small quantities for personal use.

I personally now get friends to buy me Bonine (meclazine) when they're in the US as I find it works best for me & is non-drowsy. Most cruising americans sing the praises of this drug's efficacy for seasickness. You can buy it online. It's not banned in Australia, but not available for sale here either (who knows why?). It's allowed to be brought in through customs in small quantities for personal use.

I agree.I use Bonine as well.It's what they give you at the Pursers desk on the American cruise ships.I buy mine on E-bay (make sure you go to International sellers).They are very cheap.It is perfectly legal to bring them into Australia.

Definately Avomine. I have tried several medications, but Avomine is what the P&O medical centre recommends. I have found it the best. Don't take Stemetil which is probably what a doctor will prescribe. It will stop you throwing up, but if you are seasick you will wish you could throw up and the medication will stop you. When I did that on my first cruise, it was really bad.

I have bought 30 Avomine from Chemist Warehouse for less than $10.

yes avomine, never leave home without it since having to visit the ship doctor. It is what they give you and it WORKS for me, I only need to take for the first couple of days at sea and I take one (just in case) IF the seas get rough. Also the taking of it two nights prior to sailing is what the ship doctor advised me to do. 4 cruises since then and no sea sickness.

Please if you do get sick on board do not put up with it, go see the Dr.

Happy sailing

Thanks for all the responses. I have got the ginger, the wrist bands and Travacal already. Just wanted something stronger just in case. Will def grab some Avomine to throw in the bag too.

Thanks again!!!

Just be aware that Avomine works best as a preventative. Start taking a night or two before the cruise and take one every night.... you will then not have the need for all the other paraphenalia you are taking.

Thanks to the OP and for all the responses.

I get sick on a wet lawn, and took Kwells when I did some day trips to the Barrier Reef for diving. There were times when the seas got pretty rough, and we had people very sick and I was okay.

Having said that, this was a long time ago, and I wanted to get something better/stronger so the suggestions on here are great.

I would love to know if Kwells AS WELL AS taking Avomine would be suitable or if there would be some problem with taking 2 different types. (overdosing, counteracting etc) I suppose asking the doctor or pharmacist is best.

PS. I was at my pharmacy yesterday and she recommended kwells, telling me that the Travacalm does not work in her opinion.

I get sick on a wet lawn, and took Kwells when I did some day trips to the Barrier Reef for diving. There were times when the seas got pretty rough, and we had people very sick and I was okay.

Having said that, this was a long time ago, and I wanted to get something better/stronger so the suggestions on here are great.

I would love to know if Kwells AS WELL AS taking Avomine would be suitable or if there would be some problem with taking 2 different types. (overdosing, counteracting etc) I suppose asking the doctor or pharmacist is best.

PS. I was at my pharmacy yesterday and she recommended kwells, telling me that the Travacalm does not work in her opinion.

You don't need to take anything more than the Avomine. We have been in some very rough seas and I have never felt even queasy and I get seasick in the bath!

You don't need to take anything more than the Avomine. We have been in some very rough seas and I have never felt even queasy and I get seasick in the bath!

I agree totally. Avomine is much more effective than Travalcalm. I wouldn't even bother taking Kwells with me.

The first time I took Avomine we had 10m seas and our cabin was near the front of the ship. It was bad. :( I took Travelcalm but was still sick so I went down to the medical centre. The nurse said she wouldn't give me an injection until I had taken Avomine (purchased from the reception desk). Even though I had been sick for hours, the Avomine still worked. On the ship it cost $15 for 10, at Chemist Warehouse it is $9.36 for 30. :) Always take my Avomine with me but only swallow one if the seas are rough - although I should have taken one before our tender ride at Port Douglas. :(

:D:D:D

Thats funny.

Thanks for the posts. Chemist Warehouse here I come. Do you know if this is suitable for kids to take too?

One thing I would suggest with kids is not to chat about seasickness with them. If you do, they'll dwell on it and sure as eggs they'll be sick.....mind over matter.....

I'm allergic to Stemetil and would imagine that all the above medications mentioned have probably got something that Stemetil has in it....

Who knows what I would do if I ever got seasick.... :eek:

Jilly:)

One thing I would suggest with kids is not to chat about seasickness with them. If you do, they'll dwell on it and sure as eggs they'll be sick.....mind over matter.....

I'm allergic to Stemetil and would imagine that all the above medications mentioned have probably got something that Stemetil has in it....

Who knows what I would do if I ever got seasick.... :eek:

Jilly:)

You could always try the simple remedies - ginger or ginger ale, or green apples with the skin on.

Luckily we don't suffer from sea sickness but we have heard nothing but great reports of the "Paihia Bomb"" made by a chemist in Paihia, Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

Google Paihia Bomb for more info.

This is an interesting topic - I personally take Stemetil and always travel with it but have had vertigo years ago which is the best drug to treat it.

Avomine is an antihistamine and so if you have high blood pressure you should check about it - it is the same as phenergan. I am interested that those who take it only have at night?? who much would you take (ie 10 mgs or 25 mgs) and normally the 25 mgs would make you drowsy - good if you can't sleep but not sure if the 10 mgs would make you drowsy.

I at least know I can function with the stemetil and if in rough water I just take it 3 times a day - survived rough seas around South Africa by taking it for a few days.

With regard to the allergy to Stemetil - Avomine and Phenergen are similar but not the same drug so worth asking your pharmacist about them.

I am also a fan of Kwells - they have taken me to some of Australia's top dives sites. :rolleyes:

I pack Kwells because I know they work for me. I dislike the taste of ginger and am not keen on "testing" a new medication when my comfort on board may rely on it.

Luckily we don't suffer from sea sickness but we have heard nothing but great reports of the "Paihia Bomb"" made by a chemist in Paihia, Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

Google Paihia Bomb for more info.

Kiwi Pete

Do you by any chance know what can I buy over the counter in New Zealand?

Just then one less thing to take as we will have prescription drugs to declare.

Many thanks

J

Kiwi Pete

Do you by any chance know what can I buy over the counter in New Zealand?

Just then one less thing to take as we will have prescription drugs to declare.

Many thanks

J

Sea Legs tablets. This is available over the counter in NZ and is meclizine, which is the same ingredient as Bonine which is only available in the US. Its half the strength of Bonine so you would take 2 a day. If you look at any thread on these boards regarding sea sickness you will see mention of Bonine. We took it on our last cruise and it worked like a charm.

Sea Legs tablets. This is available over the counter in NZ and is meclizine, which is the same ingredient as Bonine which is only available in the US. Its half the strength of Bonine so you would take 2 a day. If you look at any thread on these boards regarding sea sickness you will see mention of Bonine. We took it on our last cruise and it worked like a charm.

Cassicruiser

Many thanks for this

J

:D:D:D

Thats funny.

Thanks for the posts. Chemist Warehouse here I come. Do you know if this is suitable for kids to take too?

Hi, if your kids are too young to take tablets then I would try Phenergan Liquid, it apparently has the same active ingredient as Avomine. We gave it to our son and no probs.

Archived