boarding the Gem

eded1953

Hi

I will be going on the Gem , Oct 10th, 2012 and just curious about the boarding - I am not sure if I would need wheel chair assistance.

Wondering if the walkway/ramp is steep and manageable. Any suggestions will be helpful

Thank you

the ramp is STEEP. I can walk with a cane but could never make the ramp and always get a wheel chair. Just call NCL and tell them you need one. you and your party wait in a little area and they come pick you up. you go to a check in desk just for wheel chairs. They push you up the ramp. They will take you anywhere you want to go, MDR, or buffet, but I get off at the entrace of the ship. I always give a tip of about $10. It would be much better to have a wheel chair and see that you would not need it, rather than make it 1/2 way up and be in trouble.

I refer to the area between the port and the ship as "the gerbil tunnel". It is a bit steep, has some turns, and definitely has a few parts that go bump when you walk over them. I saw a man with a cane trying to make his way up, but it took him quite a bit of effort. I vote you go for the assistance. Have a fabulous trip!

And just like a jetway to a plane, it can occasionally move slightly as it automatically levels itself due to shifting passenger weight. Depending where you are, you may not even notice, but it caused a definite bump when we were boarding last weekend, and my first thought was if my partners mother was with us and trying to walk she might have fallen.

Archived