Flight time

tfiga

I am cruising on the Disney Wonder from 1-19-13 through 1-24-13 and our original return flight was scheduled to leave at 11:20am, it has now been changed to 11:00am. The 24th is a Thursday morning. Will I be able to make my flight or should I change to the 8:05pm flight? If you recommend I change what can I do for the day?

TIA

Sailing from POM and flying from MIA is an easy combination, but 11:00 AM is pushing it. For your 11:00 AM flight you need to be at MIA by 9:30 (and earlier is better), which means off the ship with bags and clear of customs/immigration by NLT 9:00 and into a taxi - flat rate fare of $24+tip for the cab! :cool: - for the 15+ minute ride to MIA.

If everything goes as planned you should make it, and unless I wanted to spend a day exploring Miami I probably would go for it. If you choose the later flight I would rent a car (Dollar, Hertz and Avis have downtown locations close to POM), stash the bags in the trunk, and head to Miami Beach for the beach, lunch, shopping, people watching and drinks. You could even explore day rates at hotels, but January is peak season so don't expect many bargains. :(

Good luck! :)

On the positive side your will be the only ship in Miami that day.

I would still check with Disney to see what the earliest flight they recommend.

In the end it depends how much stress you want to deal with. If it was me I wouldn't do it because ship could arrive late, immigration could be delayed and you could be stopped at customs by a random search.

If you don't mind stress that is a different story.

I would either fly back on the late flight or spend the day in Miami and fly back the next morning.

Keith

Disney recommends noon. I just hate to get that late of a flight because I am flying with kids and we will not arrive at our house until close to 1:00 am and we have work and school the next day.

You add another twist when you say you are flying with "kids". If your kids can keep up with the stress and fast moving you will experience then you can make it. I would feel much more comfortable saying "try it", if you didn't have kids and extra bags to tow along. One "potty break" or straggler can cause a problem. If you can play "drill sargeant" and keep everything moving, then you can do it. But take your blood pressure pill!

With kids? :confused: Rent a car, put the bags in the trunk and head for the zoo or the beach (or both ;)); grab lunch in Miami Beach or on the boardwalk in Hollywood, and then head to the airport and drop the car off about 6:00.

Both Hertz and Dollar have downtown Miami locations close to POM and offer free shuttles; National, Alamo and Thrifty will shuttle you to their MIA airport location from POM. Good luck! :)

Archived