Royal Princess to the Mediterranean

OllieLulu

We're thinking about booking a 12 night trip to the Mediterranean on the Royal Princess for our 25th anniversary in June 2013. This would be our first Princess cruise, so we're complete newbies. I'm looking for advice on just about everything! :o Is it best to go through a travel agent (will I save money and get perks/benefits that way?), what cabins are in the best locations (although I know some of this is personal preference) on this ship if we want a balcony, is there anything we MUST know before booking? Thanks for any information you experienced cruisers can share.

Not knowing the actual ship will be perhaps a tad difficult re cabin choice .however if you are prone to seasickness get one lower down mid ship .I prefer aft cabins

I prefer balconies some of the ports are wonderful to just enjoy from it plus i am claustrophobic so fresh air does help

Go wih fixed dining ...you get to meet some really nice people ...request a big table

Bring a warm sweater ships tend to be cool esp the theatres and dining room

Go to all the shows

Plan your days ..excursions visits etc

Go on your roll call ...hook up for visits

Remember Europe is way more expensive so plan accordingly ..try some. Of the local food we did and it was awesome

Be prepared .remember weather in summer is guaranteed ...gorgeous and hot ...bring light summer clothing include a big hat ...i bought a huge one in Santorini ...my baseball cap did not cover enough

Carry a shirt ...indian cooton type with you in case you visit religious sites andneed to cover tank tops or halters I put mine ina small back pack .bring a refillable thermos bottle for water ...drinkloads ..it is very hot and you will need it

Visit in cargo shorts ..pockets come in very handy ..avoid carryinga purse

You will love it ..we really. Enjoyed ours

Questions ??? Shoot

We just did the Grand Med on the Ruby in August of this year. It was a wonderful cruise. We sailed from Venice to Barcelona and had a mid ship balcony on the port side. If you are sailing into Venice they say to be on the starboard side. The Venice sailaway was fabulous. I think that going in June you will have cooler temperatures. It was very hot in Athens over 100. Are you planning on the Maiden Voyage? If so I would book right away. You might find some categories sold out. A travel Agent can usually give you better pricing and perks. Go to the Roll Call Section for your cruise to get ideas for excursions. When you book private with a group you get a better price than Princess.

Enjoy they is a lot to plan.

Your biggest problem now is getting a cabin as much of the first sailings on the Royal are sold out. In fact the first trans-Atlantic sold out last May in only 2 months from the time the tickets went on sale.

Now we always use a travel agent because of the perks and also they handle all the details. I have gotten better prices through a travel agent to0 then trying to book it on my own.

Tips on choosing a cabin:

The lower the cabin the less movement is felt. The more toward the center of the ship also the least amount of movement is felt.

A inside cabin can be claustrophobic with no windows and completely dark when the lights are off.

A Balcony is a must if your doing a Mediterranean cruise during June. That's just my opinion though.

If the cruise you want to go on is sold out, you can get on a waiting list. If you do, ask what number you are on the list.

I am doing the TA cruise on the Royal in 2013 and can't wait.

Your questions indicate that you do need the services of a travel agent experienced in cruise travel, preferably with much experience with Princess.

For this cruise I would suggest a "brick and mortor" travel agent you can visit and talk with near where you live. Just ask enough questions first to be sure that have the expertise you need and do not tack on additional fees of their own.

With the right travel agent, you might not get a discount or extra perks, but you will get guidance and suggestions that will make the vacation the trip that you want. On future Princess cruises, you will have enough experience to book in other ways if you wish.

As mentioned in an above post, space may be scarce in this inaugural season on the Royal, but it may become available as not everyone who has booked will end up keeping their booking.

As mentioned in an above post, space may be scarce in this inaugural season on the Royal, but it may become available as not everyone who has booked will end up keeping their booking.

Just received an E-mail from Princess advertising lower pricing on Royal Med sailings for 2013, so there must be space left at least on sailings July 5, 17, and 29.

Archived