crazy? to arrive in Miami day of our cruise?

smch916

You think thats crazy? I have to work the night before my cruise. I will not get back to Atlanta until 5AM and my flight is at 8:eek:. Thats not even the crazy part. I work in transportation on a run to and from Atlanta to Orlando. SO I will be driving from Orlando to Atlanta to catch a flight to Ft. Lauderdale:eek:

Looking at possibly taking a red eye Virgin America flight out Friday night from San Francisco to Miami. Our ship leaves at 4pm on Sarturday and our scheduled arrival would be 8:15am that day.

I'm really leery to do this but it is cheaper due to not needing hotels in SF or Miami prior to the cruise. Not sure it's worth the risk though.

How do you all feel about it? Do you ever fly in the day of (and would you from a long distance away)?

(I have to say that in all of our travels, we've never had a late departure/arrival/lost luggage etc. So I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be an issue based on that, but I do know it happens and would hate to miss the boat! :) )

Appreciate your thoughts either way. Thank you!

Make sure its a "non stop" Direct flight so you dont have to worry about changing planes and your luggage stays on the same plane your on.

We flew in the day before for our cruise and I was still a nervous wreck about getting to the ship on time, I can't imagine how I'd be flying in the day off!

I'm a huge worrier though and wasn't able to breathe a sign of relief until stepping foot on the ship.

Never will I fly in the day off. I did find a dirt cheap hotel in Miami that wasn't the greatest but it got me in the city and had a free shuttle to the port.

i have done it...and would do it again with a couple of things in mind.

1. am i flying during winter times when extreme weather can cause cancellations or delays? T-storms or snow/ice etc.

2. do i have options if my flight is cancelled and they cannot accommodate me on a later flight?

3. can i drive it if i don't make that last/first flight out?

4. will i hate myself for losing my cruise and the $'s if i do not make it?

I have flown in the day of the cruise a couple of times...no problems. the plan is to do it again in 3 weeks.

I don't understand why people who spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on a cruise baulk at the idea of spending another $100 or so on a hotel for some peace of mind. They probably don't have trip insurance either for when they do miss their ship due to airline/weather snafus.

i'm a gambler. apparently it's something i'm willing to risk. :eek: for some it's peace of mind, for others, it's a competition lol.

Our flight leaves at 6:30 am from Toronto.. and it's a 3 hour flight. It is not a case of the extra money for a hotel.. just logistics on the home end. Crossing our fingers it goes well and that at least it is a direct flight. At least it is a popular route and there are othe flights available .. AA has me really nervous.

Sorry but I have to say it..:rolleyes: MAKE SURE YOUR SEAT IS BOLTED DOWN!.. LOL:D. AA was having seat problems past few days.

Im flying AA back to Atlanta from Mia dec 2nd. Hope my seat is secured.:eek:

We usually go a few days before to do some stuff before the cruise. Last one we tried a flight the day before.

Not a good idea, the flight was a screw ball hop all over the US. Leave Seattle at 6 PM, land at Dallas at 10pm, go to Charelston SC, land at 3am, take off at 6 am, land in Miami at 8am, make it to the port at 10am.

Besides being tired from being up from 4 the previous morning ( i worked that day)no sleep for 48 hrs and worring about a delay really wears you out

My plans start this friday... I have a 5pm flight from Phoenix to Ontario, California land at 6:15pm drop the kids off at grandpa's house. Then I have a Midnight (saturday morning) flight from LAX to FLL and I land there at 8:15am and hope to be at the port at 10am all while wearing the same clothes... I hope I make it to the first dinner.

We always fly in the day of the cruise, but we are coming in from NJ, which is a 2 1/2 hour flight . I always take the first flight out ( about 6 am ) and have never had a problem. Coming from the west coast is a lot different, so I really don't know if I would chance it. Good Luck :)

Archived