crazy? to arrive in Miami day of our cruise?

smch916

Looking at possibly taking a red eye Virgin America flight out Friday night from San Francisco to Miami. Our ship leaves at 4pm on Sarturday and our scheduled arrival would be 8:15am that day.

I'm really leery to do this but it is cheaper due to not needing hotels in SF or Miami prior to the cruise. Not sure it's worth the risk though.

How do you all feel about it? Do you ever fly in the day of (and would you from a long distance away)?

(I have to say that in all of our travels, we've never had a late departure/arrival/lost luggage etc. So I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be an issue based on that, but I do know it happens and would hate to miss the boat! :) )

Appreciate your thoughts either way. Thank you!

Not me. Never. All you need is one little hiccup along the way. A flight delayed because of some mechanical issue or a thunderstorm. You'll immediately begin chewing your fingernails wondering if you're going to make it. Imagine sitting at the gate, all happy getting ready to go when you hear the flight will be delayed - instant panic. Also, with the red eye you're going to be dead on your feet by the time you board the ship.

Not worth it.

Im not qualified to say if you are crazy or not!:D It would not work for me because I am a real worry wart! And when I travel by air, a black cloud hovers over me! So, I need to get to the port city a day early, just so my nerves can handle it! If you have confidence in your airline's on time performance, then arrival at 8.15am is great, and saves you the cost of a hotel room. And you are coming from a southern climate (San Francisco is southern to me), so weather should not be a problem. If you are not a worry wart like me, then should be no problem. Have a great cruise.:)

How much money would you "save" if the flight got cancelled? There is no way I would attempt to arrive the day of the cruise, too many variables. Hope your not flying AA. you better have good trip insurance, because CCL is not going to wait for you.

We've done it to Tampa and were fine, but there was a small delay in our flight.

I would'nt risk it if that were the last scheduled flight that would get you there on time. Could you take an earlier flight from SF and only pay for a hotel in Miami ? You west coast folks should be wide awake for the Miami Beach party scene:)

We've flown in the day of and the day before. Although everything went smoothly every time, I wouldn't risk flying in the day of again. As others have said, my nerves can't take it. Our hotel is rarely over $100.00 and includes shuttle and breakfast. IMHO it's $100.00 well spent! :D

Either way, enjoy your cruise!

I'm another one who will never fly in the day of the cruise. I have done it twice, a long time ago. Everything went fine but I was "dead on my feet" for sail away and the first night's dinner, show, etc. Nowadays I wouldn't even consider it. I would be a nervous wreck hoping the flight leaves on time. Do yourself a favor and get a cheap hotel room at the destination and fly in the day before.

Besides everything you can get good hotels at very affordable prices in Miami, especially from those websites that you get to know your hotel after your payment has been received!

Yup - I know those well - like the one that says on the sign:

"As Seen on Dateline: To Catch a Predator"

"Quarter and Half-Hour Rates Available"

"PayPal Accepted"

The challenge depends on where the inbound airplane, that turns for your flight comes from. If the inbound takes a mechanical or weather, crew delay, you could be in trouble. Virgin just can't pull another airplane out of a hanger.

The good news is that you can withstand up to a 4 hour delay and still make it in time for your cruise.

Find a cheap airport hotel and come in earlier

I have flown in to Miami the day of the cruise twice in the past year and will do so again this Friday! Now, I will only do so if the flight is early and direct. I'm taking a short 3-day on the Imagination and can't take any more days off work, so I have no choice but to fly in the day of departure. I'm not sure I would do this if I was flying from the west coast/long distance though. I think I would rather get a hotel and have a day to relax and adjust to the time change, etc.

I just read all those posts and I am really starting to panic!!!! We are coming in the day of from Toronto.. arriving in Miami at 9:30 am.. basically to accomodate family members who will be watching our DD.. and to top it off we are flying AA. Weather shouldn't be a problem this early in the year.. but now I am ?????. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years ago, even with a scheduled non stop flight, we almost missed the ship due to a maintenance problem on our plane. We were some of the few to board just before the ship was to leave. (And now, with all the security regulations, we wouldn't have been allowed on board!)

Never again!

You may be just fine coming in the same day, but, I am now a chicken &hi+ to do this.

Just a thought for you!:rolleyes:

I don't understand why people who spend hundreds (thousands?) of dollars on a cruise baulk at the idea of spending another $100 or so on a hotel for some peace of mind. They probably don't have trip insurance either for when they do miss their ship due to airline/weather snafus.

I live in Orlando I and I won't even

DRIVE to Miami the day of. :o

Wishing you luck - sure you will

be fine though.

I'm with this person.

I have a cruise out of Ft Ldauderdale on Nov 24th. I live in Lakeland, about 50 miles South of Orlando, and we're driving down, the day before. Even tho it's only about a 4- 4 1/2 hr drive, I would never do it the same day as cruise. An accident on the interstate, can tie up traffic for hours. Personal car trouble can also delay you for hours. Just too much unforseen can happen, and I don't want to risk it all.

I got a 3 1/2 star hotel, on one of those terrific online sites, for $79 tax included. Sure worth it to me.

I'm with this person.

I have a cruise out of Ft Ldauderdale on Nov 24th. I live in Lakeland, about 50 miles South of Orlando, and we're driving down, the day before. Even tho it's only about a 4- 4 1/2 hr drive, I would never do it the same day as cruise. An accident on the interstate, can tie up traffic for hours. Personal car trouble can also delay you for hours. Just too much unforseen can happen, and I don't want to risk it all.

I got a 3 1/2 star hotel, on one of those terrific online sites, for $79 tax included. Sure worth it to me.

Well put - and if you are driving anyway: the park+cruise hotel

packages make it very economical when you factor in the price

of parking at the port. It's also nice to start the vacation a day

early and wake up 10 minutes from the ship.

I understand that due to vacation time and economics it's

not always possible to come in the day before - but if you

are able to afford the time and expense it is well worth the

peace of mind.

Never a delay? Really? You are either incredibly lucky, or you don't travel that much ;)

Let me tell you what happened to me three weeks ago. I was booked to fly from ORD to Hong Kong. This is United's most profitable route. Flight is supposed to leave at 1:31. As I'm leaving for the airport, I get an email stating flight is delayed into 3:30 due to incoming flight delay. We board and all appears to be ready to go at 3:30. At 3:45, pilot comes on and says there's a warning light and maintenance is on the way. Maintenance says it's an easy fix; we should leave by 5. Whatever, I've been drinking all this time in the Red Carpet Lounge and on the plane. At 5, we are invited to get off the plane because the repair is taking longer than expected. 5:45, the mechanics say they are done, but we can't leave because the crew is going to time out. They have a backup crew, but no captain! At 6:10, they announce the flight is cancelled and we will leave at 10am the next day under a different flight number. I missed one of the meetings I was flying in to attend.

In my case, almost anything that could go wrong did, including a storm system that we would've hit had we left around 6. You can get a decent room via Priceline for around $75.

Our flight leaves at 6:30 am from Toronto.. and it's a 3 hour flight. It is not a case of the extra money for a hotel.. just logistics on the home end. Crossing our fingers it goes well and that at least it is a direct flight. At least it is a popular route and there are othe flights available .. AA has me really nervous.

Archived