Ship time versus AST time?

psadvocate

How will I know what ship time is versus local island time? Our port is St Maarten and we need to be there 12:30pm AST (local island time) Will our ship time go by EST time? So confused!:confused: We are riding Freedom of the Seas Oct 21st-28th

The only way you will know is once you're onboard. The "Cruise Compass" (a flyer left in your room each night) will let you know when you need to change your clock.

Ship time is whatever the captain decides. It may or may not be the same as local time. Some captains change to local time, others do not.

The only time you need to be concerned with is SHIP'S TIME! Set your watch (not you cell phone..it will automatically go to island time) to the time shown on the ship's clock at the exit. That way, you'll never be late. Bring a watch.

If you book a ship's excursion, time is no factor....they go by ship's time.

If you book a private excursion, go by ship's time. The guides know how this works.

If you're on your own....ship's time is ALL that matters.

OP -

You are in luck.... We are still using Daylight Savings Time here in the US. (Until November

The time in Florida is the same as St. Thomas and St, Martin.

(EDT = ship's time = AST)

Aloha,

Jlohn

Not true. We were on Oasis in August and the time on St. Martin was an hour different from ship time. Just set a watch to ship time and leave it set during the cruise. Always make sure you have it with you when you're in port.

Not true. We were on Oasis in August and the time on St. Martin was an hour different from ship time. Just set a watch to ship time and leave it set during the cruise. Always make sure you have it with you when you're in port.

Well,that's confusing! Eastern Daylight Time is 4 hours behind UTC. Atlantic Standard Time is also 4 hours behind UTC.

St. Martin is in the Atlantic Standard Time. They do not observe daylight savings time.

Did you have to adjust you watch when boarding the Oasis in Ft. Lauderdale?

As info. we were on the Freedom in August, and Ship time was EDT, so when we got to St. Martin, island time and ship time were identical.

<shrug>

Aloha,

John

I set my watch when I got on the ship and didn't change it. The reason I thought St. Martin was on different time is because I heard someone ask a shop owner what time it was and the time he told her was an hour different from the time on my watch (ship time). Maybe he just looked at the clock wrong. I know I've done that before. :)

Archived