Capadoccia Extension

jklc123

Has anyone taken the post cruise extension from Istanbul to Capadoccia with Regent? If so, was it worth what I assume is a high price relative to booking on your own? We like the convenience of cruise line booked tours but don't like paying exorbitant fees so we weigh the pros and cons.

We took the pre-cruise to Cappadocia in April of this year and absolutely loved it -- such an amazing place. If you post the date of your cruise I'll take a look at the post-cruise and see if it similar to what we did.

I suppose you could do this on your own for less money, however, there are things you may not have thought about...... like luggage. When we flew to Cappadocia, we took only the luggage we needed for three nights. Regent took care of the rest for us.

We flew to Cappadocia -- arriving at an airport approximately an hour from the city. So, in addition to plane fare, you need transportation or would require a car/taxi. On the way we had lunch at a nice restaurant (alcohol not included as it was a strict Muslim restaurant).

We had the same tour guide (the best we have had -- ever) from the time we left Istanbul until we returned. You really need a good guide -- one that speaks and understands English well. He was able to get us past extremely long lines (we were there on a holiday weekend for locals) -- took very good care of us.

There were two hotels -- one a bit more money than the other. We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel (again, no alcohol included) and lunch at local restaurants.

When we flew back, it was from a different (closer) airport. I'm sure there is a reason we used two airports -- I assume timing was a factor as there are not many flights into and out of Cappadocia.

Rather than me rambling on and on, perhaps you have some specific questions. This is an exciting topic -- Cappadocia is one of the most interesting places we have visited in our travels.

Question about the Cappadocia flights.

I have flown hundreds of thousands of miles

but am still squeamish about flying--I won't fly commuter

airlines, propeller planes or planes smaller than a

737. That's just me. What airline and equipment

are used on that route and what did you think

about this?

Travelcat2

Thanks for your reply. I had looked into booking on our own and it looked like a lot to consider, including restriction on the luggage to Capaddocia. Your reply will help me convince DH that we must do this! Our cruise leaves Venice on Nov. 2, 2013. (I like to plan ahead!). Any recommendations about the excursions at each port? We enjoy history and the culture of areas we visit.

Linda

Linda,

Just the fact that if you did it on your own you would endure horrendous lines of people just to get a ticket is enough to make it worth doing Regent's tour. I looked at your cruise and the post-cruise option to Cappadocia. It is almost identical to ours (uses a different hotel in Istanbul) but in reverse. Even the sites in Istanbul can take hours longer if you do it on your own.

In terms of ports and excursions, suggest you start a thread so you can receive input from more than just myself. We had visited most of the ports previously and decided to do a lot of vineyard tours (fun but you don't learn much history). Take the time to read through Regent's excursions and see what interests you both.

Hope to see you posting between now and November, 2013:)

Jackie (TC2)

Jackie,

Thanks so much. We've looked at the list of excursions and pretty much made our selections for when the bookings open up, but will for sure solicit more advice as the time approaches. Already excited!

Linda

Now, for another opinion. We did cappadocia on our own. We flew Turkish air (a nice new 737). There were no huge lines at the airport. I actually thought they were very efficient. And they were right on time.

I booked our driver, guide, and cave hotel through goreme.com. They were excellent to work with. Met us at the airport right on time. Our guide spoke excellent English and tailored our trip to things I have specifically requested (hiking) plus extra suggestions of his own (hiking up to a remote cave church that few people visit but which has amazing paintings on the walls). Food was great. We did drink wine. Many Turkish Muslims have no problem with that, and they actually produce some wine in turkey. We were able to do an incredible amount of stuff in 3 days. And at a very reasonable price.

I definitely recommend doing cappadocia whether with regent or on your own. It is a totally magical place.

• 2 weeks later...
Now, for another opinion. We did cappadocia on our own. We flew Turkish air (a nice new 737). There were no huge lines at the airport. I actually thought they were very efficient. And they were right on time.

I booked our driver, guide, and cave hotel through goreme.com. They were excellent to work with. Met us at the airport right on time. Our guide spoke excellent English and tailored our trip to things I have specifically requested (hiking) plus extra suggestions of his own (hiking up to a remote cave church that few people visit but which has amazing paintings on the walls). Food was great. We did drink wine. Many Turkish Muslims have no problem with that, and they actually produce some wine in turkey. We were able to do an incredible amount of stuff in 3 days. And at a very reasonable price.

I definitely recommend doing cappadocia whether with regent or on your own. It is a totally magical place.

We did a Cappadocia tour postcruise. We had planned on staying four days in Istanbul, but decided to take the opportunity to go to cappadocia. We used Euphrates tours. It had good reviews on Trip Advisor and my TA checked it out as well. It was much less expensive than the other tours she looked at. It included roundtrip airfare as well as two nights in a cave hotel and personal guide. We chose not to go with a group as my husband has some difficulty walking and he did not want to slow anyone down. It also included transportation from the airport to and hotel and back as well as transportation while we were with the guide. Our guide was a lovely young woman who spoke excellent English.

Instead of taking the tour directly from the ship, we spent the first night in a hotel in Istanbul. We also spent a night there after we returned. Consequently they agreed to keep our luggage whule we went on the excursion. We were very pleased with Euphrates Tours. Our guide was named Zeynep Parlak. She told us that her employer was sending her to Brazil to learn Portuguese but don't know when she was expected to return.

We did a Cappadocia tour postcruise. We had planned on staying four days in Istanbul, but decided to take the opportunity to go to cappadocia. We used Euphrates tours. It had good reviews on Trip Advisor and my TA checked it out as well. It was much less expensive than the other tours she looked at. It included roundtrip airfare as well as two nights in a cave hotel and personal guide. We chose not to go with a group as my husband has some difficulty walking and he did not want to slow anyone down. It also included transportation from the airport to and hotel and back as well as transportation while we were with the guide. Our guide was a lovely young woman who spoke excellent English.

Instead of taking the tour directly from the ship, we spent the first night in a hotel in Istanbul. We also spent a night there after we returned. Consequently they agreed to keep our luggage whule we went on the excursion. We were very pleased with Euphrates Tours. Our guide was named Zeynep Parlak. She told us that her employer was sending her to Brazil to learn Portuguese but don't know when she was expected to return.

I was just about to recommend Euphrates Tours for Cappadoccia!!

Archived