Camera - Help

I have an Olympus SP-570UZ with 20X zoom. Got it several years back, and you can probably get one with more zoom now.

I'd also look into one that's water resistant/proof. We have an Olympus Stylus 800 that's safe in the rain. But then a ziploc bag will work well too.

Both are older models, so I'd suggest looking at something equivalent that's newer since they now have face detection.

I recently purchased the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H90, with:

16.1 Mega pixels

16x Optical zoom

24mm wide-angle lens

HD Movie 720p

360 Sweep panorama

I really like the panorama feature. No more taking side by side shots to get a wide picture. I purchased it at Walmart, it was around $219 or $229. I was able to take some really great pictures while in Colorado in September. It's a nice little camera, not the smallest I've owned but will still fit in an evening purse. Hope this is helpful. Kathy

If you want "better" pictures, consider the Canon S95 and S100.

Do not be fooled into buying a high MP, big zoom P&S. They are the gimmicks to get people to buy in the competitive P&S market.

More MP on s small P&S digital sensor results in poor quality. P&S sensors should not have over 12MP. Look into the high quality Canon P&S cameras, their sensors max out at 12MP.

If you want a larger body, consider the Canon G12.

Good luck.

I had a Canon Powershot SX10IS (the newer version is the SX20IS) that I used for several years before I bought my DSLR. I got great results with that camera! I wanted to be able to use filters and change lenses, which is why I upgraded to a T3i.

If you want the zoom capability you might look into that type of camera, but if you want something that will fit in your pocket or purse than that wouldn't be for you.

I have just bought a Canon Powershot SX 160 IS and so far I'm impressed with it. It takes great pictures but it's shot to shot time is pretty slow. If you need to photograph fast action it would probably be a bad choice. It has a 16 Mp sensor and 16x optical zoom lens (28 to 448 35mm equivalent), but it's not very fast. Modes are from fully automatic to fully manual including Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and several specialized Scene modes. For what I'm going to use it for I think it's pretty good.

Archived