ULU knives confiscated

JudyO

:confused: I read on the Alaska thread lots of ships arn't allowing Ulu knives. some are confiscating them. Won't keep them until end of cruise.

Does any one know Princess policy on this. I was going to buy one for my son. He lives in Hawaii and I just want to mail it my self from here (Oregon.) If you have any thing shipped to Hawaii the prices are outragous.

I had a friend who wanted one, and I too was worried about the knife factor, so I just brought stamps and a apdded mailer onshore with me (knowing I was going to do this of course!) and bought it, wrapped it, and mailed it before getitng back onboard. USPS is the same first class and priroty to Hawaii as it is across the street!

Casey

When we did our Alaska cruisetour last July...and EVERY port or town we visited had the same danged gift shops selling the same danged ulu knifes, all I kept thinking was about the problems those things must cause post 9/11 with the heightened security...All the folks packing a bunch of ulu knifes and their luggage going through inspection...or, better, the ones, forgetfully carrying them in their carry-ons...

...And, yeah, when you get back on the ship nowadays, you go through a metal detector as well...How does ship security react to the guy apparently armed to the teeth in ulus??? Of course, it's not like they don't set your dinner seating place at the dining room each night with about a half a dozen assorted knives among the 20 or 30 pieces of assorted silverware...

Two weeks ago on the Island they allowed us on with two Ulu knifes in Ketchican but in Juaneau they confiscated a small pocket knife we bought as a gift. So who knows what the policy is.

They do deliver anything they confiscate to your cabin on the last day. I guess it isn't a threat then???

Scott

Archived