Canadian killed in Roatan over iPhone in Roatan ..

Charleyann

I've worked at the hospital since 1984 and I work in the emergency room along with taking care of all the traumas when they come in on the days I'm at work. I've SEEN it all. So I'm very aware that this happens everywhere. ;) I was just stating some major story always seems to happen months before I go on a cruise, to a third world country, and it's scary to think about. Although usually the story that's posted here is related to a cruise passenger.

If happens to me after I have been... I was in Bangkok just before they started killing people in the streets, I was in Turkey and Syria just before they started bombing and I was n an India tiger preserve just before they closed them all due to poaching.

Timing is a wacky thing but as long as you go into anything with your eyes open, all will be well.

This guy should not have been flashing cash and toys while drinking late at night in a third world country. He was not in any way taking care of himself, for what ever reason. This is not to say I don't feel bad for the family, it is just... dude was not on top of his game.

I was just stating some major story always seems to happen months before I go on a cruise, to a third world country, and it's scary to think about. Although usually the story that's posted here is related to a cruise passenger.

Maybe because that is when you are looking more closely at those Countries ;)

My point is no matter where you go there is always bad stuff happening

If you look you will find things happen to cruise passengers even with the ships tours

You have to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are

I would not be out at 1 am in a strange country but that is just me

Everyone has choices to make

Lyn

Ok, I haven't read through the other posts but will. But, I had to say to you to really, really, really understand what you are posting and reading before you indeed do post. It is terrible and highly unfortunate that this person was killed in Roatan. However, if you read the article it states that murder is really high in Honduras not the island of Roatan, Honduras. Keep in mind that most of Honduras is on the mainland with Roatan being an island. No need to get everyone up in arms that Roatan is the murder capitol of the world which it IS NOT. Also, very doubtful that cruisers will be there at 1am and hanging out with women from Roatan.

Maybe because that is when you are looking more closely at those Countries ;)

My point is no matter where you go there is always bad stuff happening

If you look you will find things happen to cruise passengers even with the ships tours

You have to be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are

I would not be out at 1 am in a strange country but that is just me

Everyone has choices to make

Lyn

You make a great point. The company I work for has it's headquarters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This weekend 7 people were killed in a mall from one gunman.

In the past week or so we have all read about the Canadian killed, There was also a shootout where a Canadian killed a Honduran and and at Blue Ocean Or Blue reef or something named of that sort their guard was killed after being beaten with a bat. Crime is NOT Rampant, but there is crime and little is done about it. The guy that shot the australian in the back in broad daylight in West End walks around as a free man though he is supposed to be under house arrest

You make a great point. The company I work for has it's headquarters in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This weekend 7 people were killed in a mall from one gunman.

Actually.....3 stylists were killed while working in a beauty spa in a suburb of Milwaukee. Not a mall. One was the estranged wife of the shooter who commited suicide. 4 women were wounded, not seriously.

This is an example of "stories" that get spread about different incidents. This had nothing to do with the random violence one can encounter anywhere.

While traveling, one has to be smart and careful. No matter where in the world.

Actually.....3 stylists were killed while working in a beauty spa in a suburb of Milwaukee. Not a mall. One was the estranged wife of the shooter who commited suicide. 4 women were wounded, not seriously.

This is an example of "stories" that get spread about different incidents. This had nothing to do with the random violence one can encounter anywhere.

While traveling, one has to be smart and careful. No matter where in the world.

I agree that one has to be careful no matter where they travel and that is the gist of my post. I apologize that it was a spa and not a mall. The article I read said it was a spa within a mall snd that 7 people were killed. Just posting what I read. So sorry I offended your sensibilities.

I do believe my post has everything to do with the random violence that can occur anywhere. Those 4 women could have been hurt seriously and if 3 sytlists were also killed that is tragic. It is great to hear they weren't but a few inches either way can make a big difference in the severity of a gun shot. Whether this happened in a mall or a stand alone spa the same holds true in that you can be in a city in the US and encounter this type of violence.

I don't understand your post. You have verified that violence can happen in a city within the US and not just in another country like Honduras. Perhaps you are one that likes to correct others.

I don't understand your post. You have verified that violence can happen in a city within the US and not just in another country like Honduras. Perhaps you are one that likes to correct others.

Sorry you didn't get me. My point was that RANDOM violence directed at an individual while traveling is a far different thing than what you noted happened in Brookfield. :confused:

Domestic violence by an estranged husband is a far cry from someone being mugged/hurt at random off the street. Being a "smart traveler" wouldn't have helped anyone in the tragic situation you noted. Of course no one thinks about being shot while having a manicure on a Sunday morning. But no one is going to change their travel plans to Brookfield, Wi after a shooting like this one.

The point of the thread is as travelers, one obviously needs to use some common sense and precautions.

But as I think you want to point out, sometimes there is nothing you can do to prepare. I agree.

I never bring anything valuable into any port, including my passport (I read that it is worth about $2,000 in Central America). I'm still looking forward to seeing Roatan with my husband and children.

Why do I always get the giggles at statements like this?

I know her intent wasn't to say her husband and children are not as valuable as her passport, but it still gives me the giggles.

Why do I always get the giggles at statements like this?

I know her intent wasn't to say her husband and children are not as valuable as her passport, but it still gives me the giggles.

I re-read what I wrote and it made me laugh too. I should have said that I wouldn't take anything I thought anyone would want to steal. :)

I re-read what I wrote and it made me laugh too. I should have said that I wouldn't take anything I thought anyone would want to steal. :)

You would really giggle when you read about so many that are so vain they just must have the glitter and gold, and while they know there is high crime, their defense is to wear fake stuff, These folks are so caught up with looking good they ignore safety just to wear the bling, As if fake bling is safer, the only thing it will do is not affect the bank account as much after your violently robbed or worse. Sure you were robbed an gun or knifepoint, maybe beateb but the joke is on them it is fake??? Leave ALL bling at home, the only ones who notice are the criminals, Everyone your travelling with paid for their ticket as well

Roatan is safe for reasonable people...

I am sorry that a man lost his life over an I Phone ,, but ,, he could have just let them have it,, My son lives in West End on Roatan and I visit there at least once a month. The Canadian that died , unfortunately, set himself up for his demise. He was in a part of Coxen Hole that is notorious for crime, It is so bad that even most locals wont go there. He was intoxicated and in company of two women of questionable character or intention. He was flashing money around, he was flashing his fancy phone around and making himself obvious to all. He resisted the robbers and would not relinquish his phone. I'm not saying he deserved to die but he put himself in that situation.

Indeed Honduras has some safety issues as does most all countries in Central and South America. As long as you stay away from where you obviously do not belong,, you will be fine. I have been on the mainland several times making a connection to Roatan and my personal rule is ..DO NOT leave the airport..

What I guess I am trying to convey is Roatan is safe to you, the tourist on a cruise ship, you will most likely never have the opportunity to put yourself in a dangerous situation. Just stay alert, pay attention to your surrounding, dont flash money, jewelery or fancy phones . All of these things can easily be done while still enjoying your snorkel or zip line or whatever you decide to do.

Enjoy beautiful Roatan..it is a treasure of an island and a wonderful place to be. :)

I never bring anything valuable into any port, including my passport (I read that it is worth about $2,000 in Central America). I'm still looking forward to seeing Roatan with my husband and children.

It is not a good decision to leave your passport on the ship when you are not on the ship. Should you for some reason miss the ship, you will not be going anywhere without it. I know two couples who did just that, and they left most of their cash and credit cards in the safe with their passports. They had a very difficult time leaving Mexico. If I am recalling right, it took them 4-5 days to be able to leave.

Archived