Which Month Paris?

ConnieInNewJersey

I don't like it hot and I believe Parisians (generally speaking) are not as happy when it is cold. Which month would be better to be in Paris May or September?

We have been in Paris in December, March, early April, July. Things vary but can work out well regardless of the timing. When in the Paris/Loire area last in July 2007, it was in the 60's. Overall, I would rate both May and September to be fairly close and comparable. Good luck!!

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 107,698 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks everyone. Terry, I didn't realize wunderground could give past weather info - thanks!

YES!! It can work super well. We are getting ready for Australia-NZ in early 2014, so I pulled up these two examples. Lots of historic information there that you can target into each different and specific specific day for each port/city. Two examples are below for what I pulled together in building my file. Did that on my last two cruises for the Med and Norway Coast. Helps plan and prepare accordingly. Then right before starting our cruise and as we travel on the ship, I will be looking at AccuWeather for their long-term and short forecasts. I have found AccuWeather to be the most on-target for those upcoming projections.

Jan. 20, Monday: Sydney: 2012 weather on this date: high of 89°F, low of 74°F; average high on this date of 88°F, average low of 74°F; recent record high of 95°F (2008), recent record low of 73°F (2000); 2012 precipitation: zero, average precipitation on this date: .15; sunrise: 6:03 am; sunset: 8:07 pm. Moon: waning crescent, 13% illuminated.

Jan. 28, Tuesday: Christchurch/Lyttleton, NZ: 2012: high of 80°F, low of 39°F; average high of 69°F, average low of 51°F; recent record high of 87°F (1998), recent record low of 39°F (2012); 2012 precipitation: zero; sunrise: 6:23 am; sunset: 9:00 pm. Moon: waning crescent, 21% illuminated.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 84,659 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 107,698 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I agree with everyone. May and September are very nice months to visit Paris. But there are no guarantees with the weather, and it is possible that it could be hot, particularly towards the end of May and at the beginning of September. Of course your definition of hot may differ from mine :)

We also don't tend to have that very uncomfortable 90 degree + heat and humidity that you experience in NJ/NY in the summer months.

I would probably prefer May because the evenings stay light a little longer and you can enjoy a coffee or a glass of wine outdoors at a street cafe. In September it's getting darker earlier and therefore can be cooler at night.

Either way, you've got a choice of two great months.

Have a wonderful trip.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The weather in Paris the past two years has been wacky. It was almost hot the last week in March this year, but pretty darn cold the beginning of July. (Our visitors in July packed in appropriately and found themselves having to buy warm clothes and jackets!) Then we had a "canicule" (dog days of summer) and were pretty darn warm - and got up near 100F - in September. But that lasted just a few days.

May has lots of public holidays and school breaks (my kids will be off the first two weeks of May this year). September is right after school starts, but has become very popular with tourists. There's no right/wrong choice on this one. Pick what works best for you.

Archived