New to DCL with some questions

wayne_trisha

We, my wife and I, just booked an awesome deal on the Fantasy leaving November 10th on the Western route. Ports we love and with the military discount, a price we could afford. We have never been on a Disney cruise but this will be our 12th cruise. We have mainly cruised with RCCL. I have a few questions I’m sure have been answered a hundred times but after reading many of the topics on the first 7 pages, I came up with more questions than finding answers.

1. Two out of our last three cruises were on Allure OTS and if you wanted to attend an event, you almost had to have reservations. I looked around the DCL website and I cannot figure out how to book in advance. Is there a requirement to book early? If so, how do you book?

2. I see people talk about rotational dining and I understand the concept but one simple question. Do you have to sign up for this or is it automatic?

3. Palo seems like a nice place but sold out online for brunch and dinner all days on my sailing. I know RCCL has said sold out online but has plenty of spots once onboard. Is Disney the same way?

4. We try to arrive at the port for our cruises around 10:30 – 11:00 so we can get onboard and get the vacation started. RCCL suggests 2:00 PM for everyone but really has no restrictions. RCCL Top tier loyalty cruisers get on first and it works its way down to first timers pretty quick once they start. We have a 1:00 PM arrival time. If we show up at 11:00 – 11:30 can we expect to board after the loyalty group (assuming DCL boards past cruisers first). The port is only 20 minutes from our house but I know we will be eager to get on board.

5. Pirate Party. Is this mainly for kids or do adults get dressed up as well? Halloween is almost here and we could pick up some costumes on the cheap if adults get dressed up for it as well.

6. Speaking of the pirate party, are there any other theme nights? Formal nights? We like getting dressed up and it is too often I get to wear my tux.

Thanks for any answers you can provide. I’m making my way through the DCL discussion board and watching Youtube videos. We’re excited about being on another cruise in just 13 days.

We, my wife and I, just booked an awesome deal on the Fantasy leaving November 10th on the Western route. Ports we love and with the military discount, a price we could afford. We have never been on a Disney cruise but this will be our 12th cruise. We have mainly cruised with RCCL. I have a few questions I’m sure have been answered a hundred times but after reading many of the topics on the first 7 pages, I came up with more questions than finding answers.

1. Two out of our last three cruises were on Allure OTS and if you wanted to attend an event, you almost had to have reservations. I looked around the DCL website and I cannot figure out how to book in advance. Is there a requirement to book early? If so, how do you book? I'm not sure what you're referring to "event". If you mean excursions/Palo/Remy/nursery/spa/cabanas, the booking window for these (for you) would open at 75 days out. If you mean things like the main theatre shows, there are no reservations. If you mean the stuff like wine tastings/mixology classes, you do those reservations as soon as you board.

2. I see people talk about rotational dining and I understand the concept but one simple question. Do you have to sign up for this or is it automatic? The rotational dining concept is unique to DCL. It's automatic. You will be assigned to a particular dining room for each night of the cruise.

3. Palo seems like a nice place but sold out online for brunch and dinner all days on my sailing. I know RCCL has said sold out online but has plenty of spots once onboard. Is Disney the same way? DCL holds back about 50% of Palo/Remy reservations for booking once onboard. You just check once onboard for reservations, your Navigator will note where and what time these changes are being handled.

4. We try to arrive at the port for our cruises around 10:30 – 11:00 so we can get onboard and get the vacation started. RCCL suggests 2:00 PM for everyone but really has no restrictions. RCCL Top tier loyalty cruisers get on first and it works its way down to first timers pretty quick once they start. We have a 1:00 PM arrival time. If we show up at 11:00 – 11:30 can we expect to board after the loyalty group (assuming DCL boards past cruisers first). The port is only 20 minutes from our house but I know we will be eager to get on board. Your Port Arrival Time is when you should plan to arrive at the port. If you arrive earlier than that, and the terminal is busy (as it may be due to the larger number of passengers for the Fantasy), you may be asked to wait until your selected PAT or until the terminal is less busy. I will point out that your actual boarding number is tied to your PAT, so, even if you get in early, you will see others (who arrive at their correct PAT) boarding before you do. You will receive the same boarding number regardless if you check in early or later. Boarding number 1 is Concierge, #2 is Platinum Castaway Club members, then the numbers are assigned in order of PAT. I would say, if you plan to arrive about 12:15-12:30 you would be able to board fairly quickly, as once the Open Boarding starts (when the numbers being announced for boarding catches up with the numbers being handed out a checkin - usually about 12:15-12:30) the terminal empties fairly quickly.

5. Pirate Party. Is this mainly for kids or do adults get dressed up as well? Yes adults do it as well (some look like they just stepped off the POTC set). Halloween is almost here and we could pick up some costumes on the cheap if adults get dressed up for it as well.

6. Speaking of the pirate party, are there any other theme nights? Formal nights? We like getting dressed up and it is too often I get to wear my tux. On the 7 night cruises there is a formal and semi-formal night.

Thanks for any answers you can provide. I’m making my way through the DCL discussion board and watching Youtube videos. We’re excited about being on another cruise in just 13 days.

See my answers in red.

:)

With RCI the booking windows come up far earlier than DCL, and yes you have to book things like shows, meals and events. You normally also pay for shore trips in advance as you book.

With DCL they 'release' these on a staggered basis as per your booking window and this is dependent on your castaway club status, so new cruises, ( not in a suite) its 75 days pre cruise, and then there are people who have had a DCL cruise before who can book at 90 days, then there are slots for people who have had 5 cruises 105 days, and suite and platinum cruises, (10+) 120 days.

You will not be able to book in advance of this dates.

The majority of slots are now available online, they keep back some for concierge on embarkation and a small percentage on ship for people who cant book online but thats a small amount.

Rotational dinning, dont worry DCL organises that for you and its unlike RCI anytime dinning, or flexible dinning.

Thank you both very much. This was a last minute “holy ^@&% look at that price I cannot pass it up” booking. I do all the research for our cruises and then my wife and I decide what we want to do. Having been on RCCL our past 5 or 6 cruises, on board activities were something we knew. Now DCL is brand new to us so all those little things you just know from either reading the boards for that cruise line or learned by experience do not exist for us on this cruise. I’m glad we don’t have to try to reserve everything like it seemed on Allure OTS. We will be dressed as pirates!

Disney Fantasy: Your blog is pretty amazing and is certainly going to help me get ready for this adventure.

Thank you both very much. This was a last minute “holy ^@&% look at that price I cannot pass it up” booking. I do all the research for our cruises and then my wife and I decide what we want to do. Having been on RCCL our past 5 or 6 cruises, on board activities were something we knew. Now DCL is brand new to us so all those little things you just know from either reading the boards for that cruise line or learned by experience do not exist for us on this cruise. I’m glad we don’t have to try to reserve everything like it seemed on Allure OTS. We will be dressed as pirates!

Disney Fantasy: Your blog is pretty amazing and is certainly going to help me get ready for this adventure.

Thank you, I think you will enjoy an overall upgrade from RCL to DCL.

I LOVE RCCL but Disney is AMAZING !!!!!

Have a great trip !!

2. I see people talk about rotational dining and I understand the concept but one simple question. Do you have to sign up for this or is it automatic?

5. Pirate Party. Is this mainly for kids or do adults get dressed up as well? Halloween is almost here and we could pick up some costumes on the cheap if adults get dressed up for it as well.

Everyone seems to have answered your questions, but I wanted to comment on these two.

As someone who only cruises on RCI and DCL, the dining is odd on DCL. That said, you will find it fun. The first day in your cabin you get a ticket with a table number on it. If you are at Table #40, then you will be at Table #40 every night no matter which restaurant you dine in.

That ticket will have your rotation on it, as well. This is the part you are most likely to mess up. It will say something like this:

Night #1 - Royal Court

Night #2 - Enchanted Garden

Night #3 - Animator's Palete

Night #4 - Animator's Palete

Night #5 - Royal Court

Night #6 - Royal Court

Night #7 - Enchanted Garden

You might think "Oh, we went to ____ last night, so it's different tonight" but that may not be the case. There must be some sort of rhyme/reason to the order, but it's not YOUR (or even my) rhyme/reason. I've never been able to figure it out.

Pirate night ranges from families who do nothing to entire families dressed from head-to-toe in custom made costumes. Seriously. The entire spectrum.

You'll see uncostumed parents with dressed up kids. You'll see adults with the bandanas your host puts in your room and regular clothes. You'll see cheap Walmart costumes. You'll see ones you know the people spent 100 hours making on the sewing machine.

I wear my jeans, a pirate shirt (PoC, of course), my free bandana, my $5-ish eye patch + fake plastic gold hoop earring (that I buy fresh in the gift shop on board each trip because at the end of the night it is usually mangled), and my cool skull dubloon necklace I bought at the Magic Kingdom many years ago.

My wife wears what she calls her "pirate dress" (red & white stripes) with skull fishnets, boots, her free bandana, and some gold hoop earrings.

We aren't very dressed up compared to a lot, but we have fun. We also don't have kids, so there isn't an excuse of "we do it for the kids" either.

We’re going to be dressed as pirates. It certainly sounds like a great time. We had a great time getting dressed up for the prohibition party on our Allure OTS cruise. This sounds like it will be even better. We might have to make a run up to Disney to ride Pirate of the Caribbean and do some costume shopping. What a great idea for next weekend! I love annual passes!

I’m really interested in the dining rotation. We are not foodies by any means. I think with your instructions it should be easy to figure out what dining room we will be eating in each night.

Anything on the ship we should make sure we do or see? We’re very excited to have a beautiful new ship to explore that isn’t very similar to one we sailed recently.

We’re going to be dressed as pirates. It certainly sounds like a great time. We had a great time getting dressed up for the prohibition party on our Allure OTS cruise. This sounds like it will be even better. We might have to make a run up to Disney to ride Pirate of the Caribbean and do some costume shopping. What a great idea for next weekend! I love annual passes!

I’m really interested in the dining rotation. We are not foodies by any means. I think with your instructions it should be easy to figure out what dining room we will be eating in each night.

Anything on the ship we should make sure we do or see? We’re very excited to have a beautiful new ship to explore that isn’t very similar to one we sailed recently.

DCL folk do seem to not worry so much and let their hair down like more dressing up on pirate night, other lines have formal night but do less deck party stuff.

This site has menu's

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/menus/

My blog has navigators and ideas of things to do on your cruise.

We got a really good deal on a military rate too last minute. Like you we have sailed RCI before but are trying to figure out what to do about shows ect. Do they require reservations for shows too. Some say yes and others no. Getting confused.

We got a really good deal on a military rate too last minute. Like you we have sailed RCI before but are trying to figure out what to do about shows ect. Do they require reservations for shows too. Some say yes and others no. Getting confused.

DCL;- No reservations required for any shows.

Not like RCL.

If you have early/main dinner you go to the evening show at 8.30pm.

If you have late dinner you have a show at 6.15pm.

On Sea days they may have a matinee performance.

Get there early for the shows, if you want a good seat, if it's anything like Carnival. We bring the portable dvd player and watch cartoons while they play bingo. We typically change right after dinner then hit the theater.

Based on the times, it looks like we won't make any shows. (Bedtime is 8pm for the little one.)

There are activities that have limited spaces, those you do need to sign up once on board. (like tea with alice, wine tasting, the ship tour, stuff like that).

Get there early for the shows, if you want a good seat, if it's anything like Carnival. We bring the portable dvd player and watch cartoons while they play bingo. We typically change right after dinner then hit the theater.

Based on the times, it looks like we won't make any shows. (Bedtime is 8pm for the little one.)

There are activities that have limited spaces, those you do need to sign up once on board. (like tea with alice, wine tasting, the ship tour, stuff like that).

I've only done the classic ships, but the earliest we usually arrive for the shows is 15-20 minutes tops. There are very few bad seats in the theatre. From what I've read here and other places, this is also true about the Dream & Fantasy. There's really no need for camping out for the shows, unless you really are specific about the seats you want. The theatre generally doesn't even open until (at most) 30 minutes prior to the show.

:)

I was on the Fantasy for 14 nights in August 2012, and saw all 14 nightly shows, there were queues forming before 8pm, and there was a big influx of people at 8pm,

I would always recommend to get there at 8pm its only 30 minutes, to wait, Notting against waiting at WDW for parades or rides.

All ships open there doors 30 mins before the show, on dream and fantasy that's the same 8pm for the second show, ( 5.45pm for 6.15pm show).

They play music and you can buy drinks etc.

There are 4,000 people on the ship, lets say half on each dinner sitting so that's 2,000 people which could see the show, not everyone actually does as there is alternatives.

But the theatre does fill up quickly and I would say it was 90% full by 8.10pm.

If there is an afternoon performance on a sea day that will not be as busy.

On the Dream & Fantasy try for the upper deck. If you get in early you can snag a seat in the box seats.

Whilst people run and make a beeline for those seats you really do not want ot sit in them.

From the box seats you cannot see the back of the shows, ie, I watched Aladdin from the box seats one night and missed a lot as, there is running around and a lot at the back of the set. I watched it head on from the middle upper circle and saw everything.

Another point is young small kids in the front row of the upper circle cannot see over the barrier.

Archived