Epic Aft Cabins

MBMGWM

We just had to cancel our back-to-back on the Epic set for Jan-Feb, 2013 (fortunately prior to final payment next week!), but have re-booked a similar back-to-back for Jan-Feb, 2014 (with the lucky added bonus of an 8-day Eastern Carib'n cruise the first week, coupled with a 7-day Western Carib'n the second week as the Epic changes its schedule).

My first question: Booking this far in advance gives us a huge selection of cabins. We generally prefer balcony cabins, and loved an aft cabin on a previous cruise on a different ship. So...what are the aft cabins like on the Epic? Vibration? Too far to walk to get to the front of the ship (heh)? We've tentatively selected a 13th deck corner aft cabin, with the idea that we'll have plenty of time to change cabins if the mood hits us. We can get a mini-suite for about the same price as an aft cabin - - should we consider one of those instead?

Second Question: We've read that Slam Allen is leaving the Epic next Spring (we'll really miss not seeing him perform). Any word on who might be replacing him yet? Also, any info on whether any other major entertainers will be leaving the Epic before next year (Blue Man Group/Legends/Dueling Pianos/Le Cirque/etc)?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

I had a corner Aft, room 12310 and while the views were amazing I would not book an Epic aft again. This was my first aft so I have nothing to compare it to. I did hear from people who have traveled on other ship's aft's that the Epic Aft is nothing like other ships. There are significant vibrations pulling into port, I didn't really care about that, I figured I would be up anyway. The part that really bothered me was the swaying back and forth feeling. There were also slight vibrations all night long that reminds me of being in a vibrating pedicure chair.

If I had to stay in that room for 15 days I would have died! I do want to sail on the Epic again and I will be picking a mid ship balcony area.

There are equal parts of people who either loved or hated the Epic Aft.

We just boarded Epic today. Lovely, huge ship. Very nice and looking forward to a fantastic cruise. We booked an aft balcony cabin on Deck 13. First ever. Great view. The cabin is SMALL! I read a lot about it and saw pictures and noted the square footage, but oh my. The price gap was huge between this and a suite though. Strange bathroom setup.. Sink in room tiny shower and toilet, but I knew this going in. We shall see. Cabin is way too tiny though for more than two people or for a transatlantic in my opinion. Bon Voyage!

@MBMBWM -

Our last cruise was on the Epic. I must say that she is NOT our favorite ship; way too big for our taste. We went trans-Atlantic, the ship was not full, so it's not a matter of too many people. It's that her sheer size makes her too stable. One hardly feels any motion of the sea.

Like on all our cruises we had an aft cabin, #12314. We did not notice any vibration at all. Maybe we are inured to it, from always booking an aft cabin. Of course, on a TA you don't pull into harbor every evening, which is when there probably will be some vibration.

The cabin was fine, the balcony provided a nice refuge from the constant wind.

One more advantage of an aft cabin is that you have no foot traffic outside your cabin door.

Next to your cabin door there is a door to the outside. It leads into a staircase that connects the upper decks. It's not a restricted area.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Just back home from our 3rd Epic cruise...

First time was 14 day b2b Caribbean in an aft cabin - never again due to vibration when leaving and pulling into ports - wake-up calls for us and our alarm clock went unused!

Second time was a 13 day TA Barcelona-Miami and we had a mini-suite 11078 - portside with bed next to balcony and having a bathtub. Nice but bathtub wasn't a soaking tub size. Category MA or MC.

Third time was a 17 day TA Rome-Barcelona-Miami and we had mini-suite agian - 8062 - portside again with bed closer to door and having a luxury rain shower. We liked this one better - living space by the balcony doors. Category MB or MD.

Both mini-suites are in corrider behind the elevators - no foot traffic and quiet. Close to the stairs.

Best for you to get forward mini-suite.

We were in cabin 13278 (corner) on the Epic from 23rd Sept to 30th Sept this year- the cabin was great if a little smaller than any other cabins we have been in. There was more movement on this ship than any other we have been on - vibration wasnt too bad at all but there was some - we loved it though. Hope you enjoy it and our cabin steward was Rudolpho and ROberto :-)

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have given it some thought and decided to book a regular balcony cabin closer to the forward elevators. It looked like it would be a long walk from the aft cabins to get to many of the things that interested us most. We are really looking forward to giving the Epic a try!

Thanks to everyone who responded. We have given it some thought and decided to book a regular balcony cabin closer to the forward elevators. It looked like it would be a long walk from the aft cabins to get to many of the things that interested us most. We are really looking forward to giving the Epic a try!

You were wise to have booked a cabin close to forward elevators as they will take you to most places including the Garden Cafe!!

We preferred being close to the forward elevators than the rear.

Clearly on this ship, it all depends on where you are and how sensitive you are. We were on deck 16 forward and while there were no vibrations, there was plenty of movement for a great deal of the trip. One night, we changed position in the bed so that we were sleeping side to side rather than head to toe. That alleviated one night's unusual movement. It's a movement that I have noticed only once before and it is virtually eliminated by switching.

Additionally, we heard ping pong balls in the walls and witches in the night. Despite the fact that it was Halloween, we finally figured out that it was the banging wooden hangers in the 2nd bedroom which actually has 3 hanger rods. Beware and put them all in the drawer ;)

I have no answers at all for your questions but I did want to personally invite you to the roll call that is already going for the 8 day cruise:D

I will say that I love the Epic and I can't wait to board again though!

Slightly envious of your B2B too

I think you will be happy with your decision. I would not pick an aft on the Epic for the mere fact of the vibration and walking distance. Saw several of these cabins during a cabin crawl and it also coincided with the testing of the bow thrusters. It was loud and irritating.

• 1 month later...
We were in cabin 13278 (corner) on the Epic from 23rd Sept to 30th Sept this year- the cabin was great if a little smaller than any other cabins we have been in. There was more movement on this ship than any other we have been on - vibration wasnt too bad at all but there was some - we loved it though. Hope you enjoy it and our cabin steward was Rudolpho and ROberto :-)

We are staying in the SAME cabin THIS September! Do you have any pictures of the cabin and/or any advice for the trip? We have been on many cruises but this will be our first European cruise. We're embarking in Rome. :D

Archived