Need advice re: Tijon and Grand Case

mseldga

Hi all! My family and I will be in St. Maarten on our cruise in March 2013. I have read a lot on these boards and am still struggling planning this day for us. We are a husband and wife and 2 daughters, 10 and 12. Our other stops on this cruise are all going to be snorkel/beach days, so I'm leaning towards something different in St. Maarten - none of us have ever been there before.

Mainly because of my daughters, and because of wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor and CC, I'm thinking of going to Grand Case and the Tijon perfume factory. It sounds really neat and I think my girls would love to make their own perfume and have that as a keepsake of the trip. Grand Case also sounds fun with Lolos for lunch, decent shopping, and a pretty beach we can relax at for a bit if time permits. I'd love to go to Maho in the afternoon too, again if we have time - our ship is there from 10-6.

My questions are whether we'd be missing out on a real feel for St. Martin if we don't go to Phillipsburg or Marigot, and also the best way to arrange an excursion like this on our own - the ship doesn't offer a Tijon excursion. I emailed Joyce after hearing about her on these boards and she was very quick with a response, but the cost to have her on a private tour for the day (it would have to be private if we want to do Tijon) would be an awful lot when added to the cost of the perfume factory. Should we just hire a taxi at the pier and head straight to Grand Case? Maybe try to hire a taxi driver for the entire day without any expectation of a "tour"? Or, rent our own car to do these things on our own?

Anyone have experience getting around the island in March - it's a 3 cruise ship day with one of those being a mega ship? Is a tour guide worth the cost if we're going to spend a big chunk of the day in Grand Case and the perfume factory? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

We haven't experienced Tijon yet but have plans to do so in a few weeks during our stop in St. Maarten. The owner told us to expect a 25 minute scenic drive by cab to Tijon and the fare should be $25 each way for two of us. I believe he told us that 3 or more in a cab should be $9 each. I will post a report on the experience on our return.

Trust me, you and your daughters will LOVE your Tijon session.

I would just take a cab from the dock to Grand Case. The rates are set, so you know what the rate should be if you check the board, so no bargaining necessary.

The Tijon people can call you a taxi when you're ready to go back to the ship. The beach is a short walk from Tijon, but you should ask Tijon if there's a section with rental chairs, etc. I didn't see any when I was there last year in off season, but situation may be better in season.

It's really a fun, interesting experience, and I don't wear perfume.

We haven't experienced Tijon yet but have plans to do so in a few weeks during our stop in St. Maarten. The owner told us to expect a 25 minute scenic drive by cab to Tijon and the fare should be $25 each way for two of us. I believe he told us that 3 or more in a cab should be $9 each. I will post a report on the experience on our return.

The quoted taxi fare should be $25 for two, and an additional $5 each for additional passengers. I don't consider it all that scenic a ride.

Tijon is a very short walk from our favorite Grand Case restaurant, Calmos, and not too far from the Lolos in the heart of Grand Case.

Calmos offers free beach loungers with lunch.

I have some photos of the Lolo's over in my PhotoBucket. Our favorite is Germaine's.

gary

p.s. please click through the links

Thanks for all the responses. ILgirl, please do post a review of your day at Tijon - I'll look forward to reading it! I think we'll definitely go with a taxi to Tijon and just plan to spend the day in Grand Case without worrying about seeing Marigot or the planes land at Maho. That should allow us to relax and just enjoy Tijon and Grand Case without stressing about traffic and whether or not we'll make it back to the ship on time.

We'll just have to plan to return to St. Martin to see the rest of the island another time. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, we didn't get a chance to experience Tijon. The facility was expanding and the work was not complete when we visited. The owner, John, kept in contact and was very apolgetic that the construction was behind schedule and they could not accomodate us. I received a check in the mail which was the return of our deposit within two days after returning from our cruise. We will definitely try again on our next visit to St. Maarten.

• 1 year later...
We are taking the class and are wondering what is there to do nearby within walking distance of Tijon. Is there enough to fill an hour or two?

There are 2 beaches, several beach bars, many restaurants and boutiques, a bakery, cafes and excursions such as snorkel trips, semi-submersible boat excursion and kayaks to rent. I think that should answer your question about filling up an hour or two.:)