Why can't I upsell

WineGal09

We are 2 30something couples both booked in suites setting sail Sunday. I noticed the Garden Villa was still available at 330 today. Talked to my PCC and was told that "up sells" are now random and he wasn't too sure tree was much he could do to help.... Kinda frustrating. Not at my PCC but T NCLs policy!!!

Here is what has been reported on CC. That NCL would rather sail with an unbooked GV than upsell it at such a discount. There were cases of people doing so and bragging to the other GV who paid full rate. I can't really blame them, NCL that is.

You could probably still book it but not at a huge discount.

From the perspective of NCL, what if someone comes along and wants to pay full price for the cabin you want at a discount? Does NCL OWE you this?

Plus, with 2100 passengers onboard, how do you know there isn't someone who has sailed more than you, spent more money on cruises than you, and "deserves" the upgrade more than you?

Just some perspective.

why cant they make some kind of list of those that may want to upgrade and go off it? they would still be making $ off of it vs it being empty

I'd be willing to bet NCL (as well as other cruise lines) know exactly what they can expect as to revenue versus cost of operation of each cabin. If they could make a buck, they would.

As to others talking to people who paid a higher fare is also a great reason why not to. That also held true when it came to airfare as when I traveled on business paying $1,500+ and some schmuck telling me he paid $500. Some people know no tact. It hurts in the long run.

Frankly, I think there are too many playing the upsell game. When it comes to the point everyone books a cabin below what they want and will upsell to, NCL loses big time across the ship. NCL could just as easily discount every cabin by 25 percent and achieve the same result financially.

I preferred it when NCL upgraded cabins for free, not by an upsell. But I suspect those who prefer to buy upsells disagree. NCL gets it finally when no one will buy a garden villa but everyone who buys a suite calls and demands an upsell to the garden villa. At that point NCL must question whether they have priced the garden villa appropriately. If passengers want it bad enough they will pay the higher price when they realize they won't get it for less.

And folks complain when NCL nickels and dimes everyone.

Three days or so before my Jewel cruise I noticed one of the GVs was still available. My TA called NCL and was told no more "discounts" on GVs due to what was mentioned earlier....bragging about getting a good deal whilst those in the other GVs paid full price. Long story short....I paid full price to move to the GV....and it was worth it!!!!!:cool:

We are 2 30something couples both booked in suites setting sail Sunday. I noticed the Garden Villa was still available at 330 today. Talked to my PCC and was told that "up sells" are now random and he wasn't too sure tree was much he could do to help.... Kinda frustrating. Not at my PCC but T NCLs policy!!!

I'm pretty sure you could have it at full price, just not at a discounted price.

For your sailing all suites are sold out except one GV. The price at $6,999 for 1&2 each and $299 3+ each is on the low end for the GV. It started roughly about $100 more, went up to $8,000 and bumped around to where it is now.

For your sailing all suites are sold out except one GV. The price at $6,999 for 1&2 each and $299 3+ each is on the low end for the GV. It started roughly about $100 more, went up to $8,000 and bumped around to where it is now.

Sounds like a bargain...isn't the GV, like, 1/2 a mil over Xmas?:p

If there are two GV's on a ship and someone pays $15,000 for one and you get the other for $4,000 or some other number, who wins. The only way for NCL to "win" on this one is to sell it to someone for near $15,000. Otherwise for the happiness of the $15K guest, it is better to be empty. Besides, if it should go to someone for a cheaper price why not to the DOS?

Archived