Charge for Cappuccino in MDR?

brainyblonde

Did I read a previous post correctly that there is a charge for my morning cappuccino in the MDR? It isn't that good, but it was better than nothing. Don't think it is worth an upcharge, though.

brainyblonde

I, too, enjoy a cappuccino in the morning. Since Explorations is next to the MDR on the S class ships, I think I'll stop there and get one on the way to breakfast in the MDR...

Further, does that mean they are now available at breakfast in the Lido for an upcharge?

Thanks for the information. The cappuccino is really in name only, they press a button on a machine and it comes out. Real cappuccino as you all know is hand frothed. DH makes me the real stuff every morning from a Super Duper Italian Machine that takes half of our kitchen counter. He can't stand the MDR cappuccino, will tolerate the espresso. I certainly would not pay for this inferior product. One more cutback from HAL and such a simple pleasure of gracious dining. Dragging a cup purchased from somewhere else is not my idea of an elegant breakfast. Tsk, tsk!

Will just have to cope, free or no deal.

brainlyblonde

I, too, enjoy a cappuccino in the morning. Since Explorations is next to the MDR on the S class ships, I think I'll stop there and get one on the way to breakfast in the MDR...

Further, does that mean they are now available at breakfast in the Lido for an upcharge?

This is NOT a criticsm of you, Sheila, but a comment as to what will be rather common, it seems........

Paper cups of coffee on starched white linens on the tables instead of lovely Rosenthal china coffee cups.

It is likely a number of people will now bring their coffee in the paper cups into the MDR with them and who can blame them if they wish to have a good cup of coffee.

It just feels so wrong to me for HAL keep lowering the ambience and experience. I don't think paper cups should be prevalent in a 'well dressed' dining room.

Most actions they are taking these days are triggering reactions.

This is NOT a criticsm of you, Sheila, but a comment as to what will be rather common, it seems........

Paper cups of coffee on starched white linens on the tables instead of lovely Rosenthal china coffee cups.

It is likely a number of people will now bring their coffee in the paper cups into the MDR with them and who can blame them if they wish to have a good cup of coffee.

It just feels so wrong to me for HAL keep lowering the ambience and experience. I don't think paper cups should be prevalent in a 'well dressed' dining room.

Most actions they are taking these days are triggering reactions.

Right! And charging for an inferior product, this is not a classy move.

Probably not as only Suite guests breakfast in Pinnacle and we use the Neptune espresso/cappuccino machine at no cost. I think there would be some unpleasant comment if a suite guest at Pinnacle breakfast was charged for an espresso. That would really be bad form IMO. Those Suite fares have to bring more than a little extra real estate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangerinebunny

Are they charging in the Pinnacle for breakfast too?

Melodie,

I took the question to mean are they charging for espresso/cappuccino at Suite breakfast in Pinnacle?

I see you thought it to be asking if there was a charge for breakfast, right?

No.... there is not additional charge for Deluxe Veranda and Penthouse Suite guests to have breakfast in Pinnacle. It is included in the fare.

Probably not as only Suite guests breakfast in Pinnacle and we use the Neptune espresso/cappuccino machine at no cost. I think there would be some unpleasant comment if a suite guest at Pinnacle breakfast was charged for an espresso. That would really be bad form IMO. Those Suite fares have to bring more than a little extra real estate.

Yep, and charging suite guests in MDR for morning cappuchino is in bad form. We stopped goinng to PG breakfast and started using MDR.

Yep, and charging suite guests in MDR for morning cappuchino is in bad form. We stopped goinng to PG breakfast and started using MDR.

I agree but in Pinnacle, no problem. They know everyone eating there is a suite guest

In MDR, the stewards are pressed hard enough without having to look at key cards to know who he should charge and who not AND others nearby that saw a suite guest not pay would be irritated they are paying.

In reality, do we have any idea just how many espressos and cappuccinos are actually ordered/consumed on a given day in MDR?

I know, multiply how many on one ship x 15 ships x 365 days (less dry docks etc)........ Sigh !

I think three things are accomplished by charging in MDR......

*fewer cups will have to be delivered by overworked stewards

*those cups which are requested will bring some revenue

*some folks don't like the regular coffee in MDR, so maybe it will increase revenue at Explorations Cafe coffee bar

Sail, you forgot a fourth thing it may accomplish

* tip the scale to make loyal passengers begin to look elsewhere for a place to spend their cruise dollars.

No, I didn't forget.

I can only speak for myself but I would not stop sailing HAL because they charged for a cup of coffee.

YMMV........

I don't drink espresso or cappuccino but DH likes espresso after dinner.

I am not going to tell him of this change as I'll be interested to see his reaction first time he is charged. He really isn't phased to pay for whatever if he wants it but he's had his espresso for about 80+ HAL cruises without charge. I suspect he'll notice 'something is different'.

I am late to this so forgive me if it's not the same but I had an after dinner latte in the MDR pretty much every night on the Zaandam and no charge. Wonder if they will start charging for that soon too which would be disappointing.

The charge for "water" was pushed the first few days but then they seemed to back off. Seems such a waste of a staff member having to go around each table and ask if you want to purchase water when they could be utilized somewhere else.

Archived