DTW-FCO Flight Question

mjtripper

I have started to look at flights for our cruise - Sept. 18 - Sept.30 from DTW to FCO. I just found a flight with American on their website and wanted some opinions.

Flight Details:Sept.18

#4344 DTW 2:40PM to ORD 3:05 (American Eagle ERD)

#110 ORD 5:05 PM to FCO 9:15 am (763)

Return:Sept. 30

#111 FCO 11:15 PM to ORD 3:00pm (763)

#4307 ORD 6:45pm to 9:00pm

Price $992.90 Economy Super Saver

I just want to make sure I understand the terms of the economy super saver. It lists that the ticket is non refundable, charge ticket changes varies, same day stand by no.

My question- if there are any flight delays and we miss any connections will we have any problems getting another flight with this type of ticket.

The price seems like a good price I just want to make sure I know what I am buying. I am planning on purchasing trip insurance for the flight and cruise.

Would you recommend that I purchase this ticket or should I keep looking.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mary Jo

I don't see any problems with these flights. You have left enough time to connect on the outbound at ORD, and you have plenty of time to clear immigration and customs on the return.

If you miss a connection, AA will place you on the next available flight with an open seat. I probably wouldn't purchase just yet, but the price isn't bad, so if you are comfortable with it, buy now and don't check the pricing again!

I too think it's too early, but in my view trying to "time the market" on airfares is something of a fool's game. Buy when your own view of value vs. risk is acceptable.

However speaking specifically about your dates and the price, I'd offer a couple of ideas.

First, the combination of AA's regional jets (DTW-ORD) and 767-300s (ORD-FCO) is a major exercise in "how uncomfortable do you want to be?" Seat width, legroom, in-flight entertainment... these are far from the most comfortable places in which to spend long hours in the air.

What are the alternatives? Well, let me throw out an idea that most people might think is crazy, but if you're willing to book this far out, and if you're comfortable in having some airline have the use of a couple thousand of your dollars in the meantime, consider this alternative:

Through the end of November US Airways is providing a 100% bonus on frequent flyer miles that you purchase. http://www.usairways.com/en-US/dividendmiles/programdetails/purchasemiles/default.html

For around $1180, you can purchase 50,000 US Airways miles and receive a further 50,000 as a bonus. You buy the miles online, and the transaction is basically instant - two minutes later you have 100,000 US Airways miles in your mileage account (which you need to open first, if you don't already have one.)

Now, US Airways miles can be used for flights on US Airways own planes, or they can be used on any combination of US and partner airlines. US Airways is a member of Star Alliance, which includes 20-something airlines worldwide, such as United, Lufthansa, Swiss, Turkish, Singapore, Air Canada, Thai, and on and on.

Looking at your travel dates, and using a service called "Expert Flyer" - http://www.expertflyer.com - which allows me to search for Star Alliance award seats, I can see both economy and business class seats being available between DTW and FCO on your travel dates, and also on the days immediately before and after your AA flights.

100,000 miles ($1180 more or less) is the "cost" of a business class round trip. For example (and this might or might not still be available by the time you book, but other seats will almost certainly come open) you could leave DTW on the afternoon of the 18th, fly to Charlotte (in first class) and connect at CLT to a US Airways A330 nonstop to Rome, probably in their business class "Envoy suites."

Coming back, I'd probably wait until the first, when you could fly from Rome to Frankfurt (Lufthansa) connecting there to the nonstop to DTW, also on Lufthansa.

Granted it would cost a couple hundred bucks more per person than flying in AA's cattle cars, but in my view that's the way to get airfare this far out.

Well played, Gardyloo!!

In fact, you could use EF to find the seats, call US to have an agent "grab" the seats for you, and while on the phone, buy the miles online. Then have the agent redeem the miles. Minimal risk of not having seats for you, with the downside of the phone fee for the transaction.

There is one BIG caveat to your idea. From the US terms and conditions of the purchase option:

Please note that Dividend Miles accounts less than 12 days old (emphasis added) are not permitted to Buy, Share or Gift Miles.
So, if the OP wants to do this, they should open a Dividend Miles account NOW, then they could purchase miles on the 26th or later. Short window to open the account.

The other quibble is the price. Again, from the purchase page:

Miles are sold for $0.035 per mile plus a tax recovery charge of 7.5%
According to my math, that would be $1750, plus $131.25 in tax for a total of $1881.25. I suspect that there was a fumble-finger or brain freeze and 1880 became 1180.

Still....$1880 for round-trip business is pretty good in my book.

I just want to make sure I understand the terms of the economy super saver. It lists that the ticket is non refundable, charge ticket changes varies, same day stand by no.
A selection of extracts from the full fare rules:-
Advanced reservation/ticketing restrictions

RESERVATIONS FOR ALL SECTORS ARE REQUIRED AT LEAST 7 DAYS

BEFORE DEPARTURE.

WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.

TICKETING MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN 3 DAYS AFTER

RESERVATIONS ARE MADE OR AT LEAST 7 DAYS BEFORE DEPARTURE

WHICHEVER IS EARLIER.

Minimum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM INBOUND TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR MUST COMMENCE NO

EARLIER THAN THE FIRST SUN AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND

TRANSATLANTIC SECTOR.

Maximum stay requirements

TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN

MIDNIGHT 180 DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.

Stopover restrictions

STOPOVERS NOT PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT.

Sales restrictions

TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON/BEFORE 27NOV 12.

Penalties

CANCELLATIONS

ANY TIME

TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE IN CASE OF CANCEL/NO-SHOW/

REFUND.

WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/DEATH OF PASSENGER OR

FAMILY MEMBER.

NOTE -

WAIVER ALSO APPLIES FOR TRAVELING COMPANION. ...

CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE USD 275.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

WAIVED FOR SCHEDULE CHANGE/DEATH OF PASSENGER OR

FAMILY MEMBER.

NOTE -

WAIVER ALSO APPLIES FOR TRAVELING COMPANION.

NO CHD DISCOUNT / INFANT WITHOUT A SEAT - 10 PCT.

-----

THE CHANGE FEE APPLIES PER TRANSACTION AND PERSON.

A CHANGE IS A ROUTING / OR DATE / OR FLIGHT

MODIFICATION.

CHANGE IS PERMITTED WITHIN TICKET VALIDITY OF

ORIGINAL TICKET.

THE ORIGINAL NON-REFUNDABLE AMOUNT REMAINS

NON-REFUNDABLE.

The other quibble is the price. Again, from the purchase page:

According to my math, that would be $1750, plus $131.25 in tax for a total of $1881.25. I suspect that there was a fumble-finger or brain freeze and 1880 became 1180.

Still....$1880 for round-trip business is pretty good in my book.

I feel like an idiot. Of course you're right. :o Sorry, OP.

I feel like an idiot. Of course you're right. :o Sorry, OP.
Don't feel like an idiot. You were the one to come up with the idea of the mileage purchase - which was insightful and creative. If I had a nickel for every time I fumbled a number, I'd have a LOT of nickels. (I'd count them, but I'd probably botch that math!) The main issue is that anyone considering this tactic needs to get a US Dividend Miles account NOW.

Gardyloo - Thanks for the creative suggestion. Unfortunately my work schedule will not allow me to take advantage of the Oct 1 return date. The costs to purchase the extra miles for the Sept 30 return date was not cost effective. The thought of traveling in business class was appealing!

I am going to ponder on the American flight. I usually do not buy flights this early, however I do not think that I saw flights less than $1000 out of DTW last year. I believe most of the flights were in the $1200 range but I could be wrong.

Archived