Conflict with AzAmazing Evening and other Shore Excursions?

TerryAndDoug

I know this is a long time away, but....

We are booked on the Quest on the November 2, 2013 sailing. Curious, I contacted Le Club Voyage to see what the AzAmazing Evening event would be on this cruise, as it doesn't show up on the website. I'm not sure about having 100's of people there, but the event does sound nice. It is in Barcelona on November 7th at Codorniu cellars, for an evening of wine, food and a flamenco show.

I was also impressed to find today that I was able to print a shore excursion brochure for this cruise. However, it seems odd that on the same night as the AzAmazing Evening, there are two other evening Shore Excursions scheduled. One of them is even for a flamenco show.

Bill, could you ask if there is an error with the excursions that show up for this date? I just can't imagine that they would try to sell other excursions at the same time as the AzAmazing Evening event, especially ones involving similar types of shows.

Thanks,

Doug

On a similar note the Excursion list for our cruise (June 13) doesn't show any Evening excursions at all although there are several late stays in port. In fact the excursions are no different to 2012 (just more expensive) which is disappointing. We've heard that our Azmazing Event is at Ephesus but only by someone from the US on our Roll Call - Azamara in the UK have no idea what it is & told me we will find out on board! We already have a full day private tour booked that day in Kusadasi/Ephesus & I don't know if we will get back to the ship in time (to eat dinner & go out again!) for what I think must be the concert at Ephesus.

Bill, can you advise whether ALL ship excursions have now been loaded or will more be added? When will details of Azmazing events be added? Thanks.

We've heard that our Azmazing Event is at Ephesus but only by someone from the US on our Roll Call - Azamara in the UK have no idea what it is & told me we will find out on board! We already have a full day private tour booked that day in Kusadasi/Ephesus & I don't know if we will get back to the ship in time (to eat dinner & go out again!) for what I think must be the concert at Ephesus.

Bill, can you advise whether ALL ship excursions have now been loaded or will more be added? When will details of Azmazing events be added? Thanks.

Have you asked the UK loyalty team as they advised me what Evening is planned for my Black Sea cruise in May?

I know this is a long time away, but....

We are booked on the Quest on the November 2, 2013 sailing. Curious, I contacted Le Club Voyage to see what the AzAmazing Evening event would be on this cruise, as it doesn't show up on the website. I'm not sure about having 100's of people there, but the event does sound nice. It is in Barcelona on November 7th at Codorniu cellars, for an evening of wine, food and a flamenco show.

I was also impressed to find today that I was able to print a shore excursion brochure for this cruise. However, it seems odd that on the same night as the AzAmazing Evening, there are two other evening Shore Excursions scheduled. One of them is even for a flamenco show.

Bill, could you ask if there is an error with the excursions that show up for this date? I just can't imagine that they would try to sell other excursions at the same time as the AzAmazing Evening event, especially ones involving similar types of shows.

Thanks,

Doug

Hello Doug, Zennor and Little Britain -

I think that the confusion that your experiencing at this point in time is driven by the convergence of four "new" goals with respect to Larry Pimentel's leadership of the corporation's Guest Port Services team compounded by the need to "merge and purge" the priorities of each individual program goal:

1. Offer Land Discoveries for purchase for all itineraries as soon as possible after they are announced rather than waiting until four months prior. Simply, add more selling time on our website.

2. "Right-size" the number of Day Land Discoveries by offering fewer on each day's menu. With too many tours offered, the participation frequently was too low to operate the tour, thus a high number of tour cancellations. [implications - expect to see tours removed from what is currently shown.]

3. Continue to offer Night Touring and offer custom tailored, intimate and authentic experiences. [implications - expect to see some tours removed as a result of an AzAmazing Evenings event.]

4. Add complimentary AzAmazing Evenings - these exclusive destination events usually operate at the beginning of the voyage and include a cultural show, local beverages, light food and a festive atmosphere to create "A Destination Affair to Remember." [implications - as further due diligence is conducted about operational aspects some events might be subject to change.]

It is within this context, Doug, that I believe you're seeing the AzAmazing Evenings event competing with two other Night Touring offerings, including one with a flamenco show. I will discuss this issue with Emilio Freeman who joined Azamara in January as a resource to develop in-depth and authentic Land Discoveries during day and night as well as AzAmazing Evenings.

In 2013, between March 27 and December 28 there will be a total of 52 AzAmazing Evenings events. Zennor, although a majority of the AzAmazing Evenings events have been given the "green light" for operation there are still a few with outstanding operational considerations that need to be resolved before they are designated as operationally "ready." I will check to determine whether those that have been given the "green light" will be added to the shore excursion booking system and when that is expected to occur. If that is the case, then I will reconfirm when those AzAmazing Evenings which are determined operationally "ready" will then be added on an individual basis. I assure you that you will not have to wait until you're onboard to find out about your AzAmazing Evening.

There is a preliminary list of the AzAmazing Evenings events that was distributed internally in the late summer; however, the information was subject to final confirmation. I suspect that Little Britain was informed by the UK loyalty team about the event planned for the May 2013 Black Sea voyage from this document. I see that on Zennor's voyage, there is an Ephesus evening event being considered on June 12. But again, this document is preliminary and could be incorrect.

I hope my observations answer your questions while we await definite information about the timing of the addition of the AzAmazing Evenings events to our booking system and whether the Day Land Discoveries and Night Touring options will be fine-tuned to meet the goal of providing a balanced approach to how you experience the destinations which we offer so that you will vacation again with Azamara.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Bill

On that note I can tell you that I am on the Quest for weeks next summer. many of the ports until late night or over night.

So far there are no great evening tours or any tours at all. plus many of the daytime ones are by 830 to 9 am. these are 4 hour tours.

I wish they ahd the options to sleep in and go later in the day. Azamara really needs more afternoon and evening tours in general.

Bill

On that note I can tell you that I am on the Quest for weeks next summer. many of the ports until late night or over night.

So far there are no great evening tours or any tours at all. plus many of the daytime ones are by 830 to 9 am. these are 4 hour tours.

I wish they ahd the options to sleep in and go later in the day. Azamara really needs more afternoon and evening tours in general.

I guess this is why they end up with too many tours!! We prefer morning tours. Since we like to "absorb" as much as possible in each port, these allow us to see what we would like to do more of and go back out independently for the rest of the day, or be left off in town instead of going back to the ship.

I guess when you add everyone's preferences, you end up with a lot of tours!

I guess this is why they end up with too many tours!! We prefer morning tours. Since we like to "absorb" as much as possible in each port, these allow us to see what we would like to do more of and go back out independently for the rest of the day, or be left off in town instead of going back to the ship.

I guess when you add everyone's preferences, you end up with a lot of tours!

many ports i grt up and walk around and eat and shop before the afternoon tour. other times i sleep in and tour from 1 to we sail or close to it. i almost never go back to the ship as i am always out doing.

Hello Doug, Zennor and Little Britain -

I think that the confusion that your experiencing at this point in time is driven by the convergence of four "new" goals with respect to Larry Pimentel's leadership of the corporation's Guest Port Services team compounded by the need to "merge and purge" the priorities of each individual program goal:

1. Offer Land Discoveries for purchase for all itineraries as soon as possible after they are announced rather than waiting until four months prior. Simply, add more selling time on our website.

2. "Right-size" the number of Day Land Discoveries by offering fewer on each day's menu. With too many tours offered, the participation frequently was too low to operate the tour, thus a high number of tour cancellations. [implications - expect to see tours removed from what is currently shown.]

3. Continue to offer Night Touring and offer custom tailored, intimate and authentic experiences. [implications - expect to see some tours removed as a result of an AzAmazing Evenings event.]

4. Add complimentary AzAmazing Evenings - these exclusive destination events usually operate at the beginning of the voyage and include a cultural show, local beverages, light food and a festive atmosphere to create "A Destination Affair to Remember." [implications - as further due diligence is conducted about operational aspects some events might be subject to change.]

I see that on Zennor's voyage, there is an Ephesus evening event being considered on June 12. But again, this document is preliminary and could be incorrect.

I hope my observations answer your questions while we await definite information about the timing of the addition of the AzAmazing Evenings events to our booking system and whether the Day Land Discoveries and Night Touring options will be fine-tuned to meet the goal of providing a balanced approach to how you experience the destinations which we offer so that you will vacation again with Azamara.

Sincerely,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Thanks Bill & as you say it is confusing. I fully agree with publishing excursions as soon as possible. But if these are incomplete or likely to be changed then of course it is even more confusing. Especially if we are looking at combining ship's excursions with private ones - some which have to be booked months in advance to get recommended guides.

Actually we are in Ephesus the previous week - Jun 5th - is the same event planned for that cruise too?

Zennor raises a good point about the repetition of ports and AzAmazing evening events on consecutive sailings. The preliminary list for the Quest on sailings 16th & 23rd October 2013 stated a few weeks ago that the same AzAmazing evening event was planned for Monaco on each one.

As there are many B2B passengers on Azamara, we hope that this will be taken into account when planning special events.

We realise it is not an easy job taking everyone's requirements into account so there are bound to be duplications along the way but we hope these can be minimised.

Zennor raises a good point about the repetition of ports and AzAmazing evening events on consecutive sailings. The preliminary list for the Quest on sailings 16th & 23rd October 2013 stated a few weeks ago that the same AzAmazing evening event was planned for Monaco on each one.

As there are many B2B passengers on Azamara, we hope that this will be taken into account when planning special events.

We realise it is not an easy job taking everyone's requirements into account so there are bound to be duplications along the way but we hope these can be minimised.

The AzAmazing Evening events is just another example of the need for more variety in the events that Azamara does. Having been on a B2B before it was unfortunate that the regular shows and activities were all the same. We provided feedback in the past that it would be nice if they rotated through three schedules to minimize redundancy (or at least two) so you would not have to hear the same jokes about Eric's grandfather or watch the same show.

Archived