Seems like a good deal??

vandalayceo

We booked the Golden T/A Venice to Galveston Dec. 02, in July of 2012, booked balcony, lowest category BG for $1589. July 7 assigned stateroom category BC, R709.

Nov. 13, recieved Princess offer, upgrade to mini suite-$199 each.

Took offer.Assigned D708-category AC.

Have just checked present pricing on cruise- Lowest category balcony-$1789, AC minisuite-$2409.

Our cost $!589 X 2 = $3178

plus upgrade cost=$398.

Total cost =$3576.

Present cost of AC minisuite=$2409X 2=$4818.

Savings= $1242 (26%!!).

Just curious, 17 cruises,(Elite) first time we have been offered an upgrade this good, or for that matter any discount to upgrade.

We have been upgraded before at the checkin-no cost.

I only consider it a real value upgrade if you go from a basic class

- ie interior to oceanview, oceanview to balcony etc. Graduations within each stateroom type don't count.

Anyone else experienced this.

Something new Princess is doing? Or we just haven't been lucky enough to experience up to now?

Supply and demand. It's that simple. Every cruise is different and early December is traditionally a cheaper time to cruise as it's after Thanksgiving and before the holidays.

Sounds like you got a good deal. It's possible the Galveston cruises aren't selling as well as expected.

What a great deal! The trans-Atlantics/repositioning cruises can definitely be a lot of bang for your buck. Enjoy your double upgrade; you should definitely be excited. You should also be careful not to board the wrong ship: you're probably booked not on the Golden but on the Crown leaving Venice on 2 December for Galveston.

Bon voyage!

We booked the Golden T/A Venice to Galveston Dec. 02, in July of 2012, booked balcony, lowest category BG for $1589. July 7 assigned stateroom category BC, R709.

Nov. 13, recieved Princess offer, upgrade to mini suite-$199 each.

Took offer.Assigned D708-category AC.

Have just checked present pricing on cruise- Lowest category balcony-$1789, AC minisuite-$2409.

Our cost $!589 X 2 = $3178

plus upgrade cost=$398.

Total cost =$3576.

Present cost of AC minisuite=$2409X 2=$4818.

Savings= $1242 (26%!!).

Just curious, 17 cruises,(Elite) first time we have been offered an upgrade this good, or for that matter any discount to upgrade.

We have been upgraded before at the checkin-no cost.

I only consider it a real value upgrade if you go from a basic class

- ie interior to oceanview, oceanview to balcony etc. Graduations within each stateroom type don't count.

Anyone else experienced this.

Something new Princess is doing? Or we just haven't been lucky enough to experience up to now?

I saw that the balconies on that cruise are $1299 all categories. Discounted I paid just under $1100 for an outside GG and got the upgrade to an FF midship. I did not see any Mini Suites available at all. They are probably upgrading people so they can sell the cheaper cabins the last two weeks. For me next time i am just going to wait and book last second. I have a return flight from Venice May 14th and three ships finish up transatlantics may 12th; the Caribbean, Ruby and Emerald. I will just fly where ever I have to. They sure have trouble filling these transatlantics. It is my favorite cruise.

It's a good deal, but cruises in Dec. are usually among the cheapest of the year, especially a TA starting in Venice. Probably they are having some difficulty filling the cruise because of the time of year.

We were watching that cruise for a while, but found out we can't cruise this December after all, bummer.

Supply and demand. It's that simple. Every cruise is different and early December is traditionally a cheaper time to cruise as it's after Thanksgiving and before the holidays.

Sounds like you got a good deal. It's possible the Galveston cruises aren't selling as well as expected.

I wouldn't consider this a Galveston cruise. It's a TA leaving Venice & ending in Galveston.

What a great deal! The trans-Atlantics/repositioning cruises can definitely be a lot of bang for your buck. Enjoy your double upgrade; you should definitely be excited. You should also be careful not to board the wrong ship: you're probably booked not on the Golden but on the Crown leaving Venice on 2 December for Galveston.

Bon voyage!

I was a bit confused as the Golden will be in Alaska. It's funny but I sent an email to the CC staff last week as I was checking out recent reviews (on the main page) of the Golden, and someone posted a review about their Med cruise on the Golden this year. I suggested that they would want to revise it (or get the reviewer to do so) as this was definitely a cruise NOT taken on the Golden and would be misleading.

Archived